Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you could show me the bit in a law which says consent is implied until retracted that'd be great.

http://www.clic.org.hk/en/topics/sexual_offences/I_Non-consensual_Sexual_Offences/A_Indecent_Assault/

The perpetrator has to be aware that they're committing an assault, it's pretty poo poo and I don't know how far that reasonably gets taken, but it is the law in Hong Kong.

e: Essentially he'd have to show he reasonably believed she had given consent, so it would depend on the circumstances leading up to it.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Abetz jumped on the radio this morning to say that Turnbull's new ministry should include Abbott.

:cawg:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Word on the street is that Briggs kissed some random lady on the neck in a bar and creeped her the gently caress out.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

adamantium|wang posted:

Abetz jumped on the radio this morning to say that Turnbull's new ministry should include Abbott.

This does not surprise me one little bit. If he or his supporters think Abbott could pull a Rudd like resurrection that would be hilarious to watch.

Unfortunately Turnbull wouldn't trust Abbott with a burnt match let alone a ministry. Well I loving hope so anyway.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

Word on the street is that Briggs kissed some random lady on the neck in a bar and creeped her the gently caress out.

I think that happening is what Briggs would call, "Thursday". Maybe, "Friday" - not sure.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The cynic in me thinks that the dumping of these clowns is in an attempt to be fire proof in the lead up to the next election hence the silly season timing.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

The cynic in me thinks that the dumping of these clowns is in an attempt to be fire proof in the lead up to the next election hence the silly season timing.

I'm pretty sure that's not what you would regard as a cynical view.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ABC posted:

Trade union royal commission findings released: Cesar Melhem, Kathy Jackson referred for possible prosecution

The final report of the Royal Commission into Trade Union Governance and Corruption has been released.

The commission has referred former Health Services Union national secretary Kathy Jackson to authorities to consider whether she has committed criminal offences.

It said she had used union funds for her own purposes and may have committed a crime by obtaining $250,000 from an employer by false pretences.

Victorian Labor politician and former AWU Victorian secretary Cesar Melhem was also referred to authorities, with the commission saying he may have committed offences relating to a payment from Cleanevent and an agreement with Thiess John Holland.

Key points:

- Former Health Services Union national secretary Kathy Jackson referred to authorities

- AWU Victorian secretary Cesar Melhem referred to authorities in relation to actions favouring the interests of the union over its members

- The commission's report contains six volumes, one of which is confidential

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-30/trade-union-royal-commission-findings-released/7059348

Shock!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

adamantium|wang posted:

Is there some sort of formal agreement between the hard right and the not quite so hard right in the LNP over how many from each faction should be given ministries?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

Minister for burning crosses.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

adamantium|wang posted:

*incoherent screaming*

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

Why not believe that Turnbull could be kind and gave us all a Christmas present by dumping two irredeemable shitheads?

Nope. I couldn't type that with a straight face.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh it's time for the thread title to be relevant again.

:cry:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

Oh it's time for the thread title to be relevant again.

:cry:

Get ready for:

Auspol January : gently caress, it's still hot!

:dance:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

must suck to be so wrong

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Hmm let's see labor's record for poo poo things *opens book*

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

quote:

How Sam Dastyari voted on key issues since 2006:
Voted moderately for decreasing availability of welfare payments.
Voted strongly against increasing protection of Australia's fresh water.
Voted strongly against increasing marine conservation.
Voted very strongly for unconventional gas mining.
Voted moderately against more scrutiny of intelligence services & police.
Voted strongly against increasing restrictions on gambling.
Voted very strongly against increasing fishing restrictions.
Voted very strongly for uranium export.
Voted moderately for increasing surveillance powers.
Voted moderately against increasing freedom of political communication.

http://www.openaustralia.org.au/senator/sam_dastyari/nsw#votingrecord

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

GoldStandardConure posted:

Mirrabooka area, but if froglet is going I can scam a lift off her as she's pretty close by.

Yes, I am happy to do this! So.. When's the next goonmeet? And where?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I was under the apparently mistaken understanding that in a parliamentary vote you can either vote for, vote against or abstain. It's way more interesting now I know you can vote on a strongly disagree to strongly agree scale

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Solemn Sloth posted:

I was under the apparently mistaken understanding that in a parliamentary vote you can either vote for, vote against or abstain. It's way more interesting now I know you can vote on a strongly disagree to strongly agree scale

I think what that site does is aggregate their views on specific issues based on how they voted. So no, he didn't write 'gently caress YES' on the ballot for uranium exporting, but he certainly voted more strongly for it than increasing surveillance powers.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

That looks so crappy you would swear it was 'shopped.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It also takes into account how important their vote was in actually passing or stopping the bill.

e:Wait no, I think I misunderstood that bit. Here's the explanation anyway: https://theyvoteforyou.org.au/people/senate/nsw/sam_dastyari/policies/18

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So does it seem like the Liberals have quickly released the Royal Commission in Trade Unions results to hide Briggs and Brough departures from cabinet?

From what I have seen from that Royal Commission, gently caress all was found. Looks like they were going for the CFMEU and AWU, whilst ignoring the shithead Shoppies.

I have a feeling that outside of the Liberals and the business council, no one gives a poo poo about this Royal Commission or its results.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
This is from Heydon to a witness at TURC

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

You Am I posted:

So does it seem like the Liberals have quickly released the Royal Commission in Trade Unions results to hide Briggs and Brough departures from cabinet?

From what I have seen from that Royal Commission, gently caress all was found. Looks like they were going for the CFMEU and AWU, whilst ignoring the shithead Shoppies.

I have a feeling that outside of the Liberals and the business council, no one gives a poo poo about this Royal Commission or its results.

I give a poo poo insofar as the establishment of a Royal Commission has been reduced to a cheap (but expense) political stunt.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

You Am I posted:

TURC was always meant to hand down findings by the end of the year, so the did it at the last possible day because they are experienced, respected professionals and not me doing a uni assignment.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Doctor Spaceman posted:

TURC was always meant to hand down findings by the end of the year, so the did it at the last possible day because they are experienced, respected professionals and not me doing a uni assignment.

If they were any good they would have begged for an extension.

Based on the lame excuses I used to trot out the process should be a lay down misère - but I never had a lecturer with ministers to bury I guess.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think they already got an extension.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

froglet posted:

Yes, I am happy to do this! So.. When's the next goonmeet? And where?

Nothings been set in stone, but soon, assuming that Endman survives the heat.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I thought Endman was an analogy, not a person.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

They went to all the trouble to "crowdfund" a billboard and could only nominate two things over six years? Yeah totally worth it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
It's hilarious/depressing to watch liberals slam unions for signing away penalty rates while gearing up to do the same.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Anyone know what the new 'anti union corruption' laws to come out of the royal commission are? It'd be funny if the ALP passed them with amendments so they apply to businesses and lobby groups too but they'll probably just roll over and wave them through unchanged.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They say they want to bring back the BCC. By the end of the year they'll probably control the Senate so Labor won't be able to do anything anyway.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
labor aren't going to do anything anyway

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Well it is certainly drawing all the attention away from Mal Brough being an alleged criminal and Jamie Briggs being a drunken sexual predator.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-30/trade-union-royal-commission-turnbull-report/7060250

quote:

Trade union royal commission findings: Malcolm Turnbull says report shows widespread malpractice in unions By political reporter Francis Keany, staff Updated about an hour ago

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has described the final report of the Royal Commission into Trade Union Governance and Corruption as a "real watershed moment" for the labour movement and for Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten.

Key points:

Report refers more than 40 individuals and organisations to authorities
Recommendation for independent body to investigate union records
Opportunity for Labor to undertake real and everlasting reform, Turnbull says
The report, prepared by Commissioner Dyson Heydon and unveiled on Wednesday morning, has referred to "widespread and deep-seated" misconduct by union officials.

More than 40 individuals and organisations have been referred to various authorities, including police, directors of public prosecutions, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission and the Fair Work Commission. There was also a recommendation for an independent body with greater powers to investigate union records and finances. "They can take this opportunity to support these recommendations and undertake real and everlasting reform of the trade union movement," Mr Turnbull told reporters in Sydney. "This is not a case of a few rotten apples spoiling the whole barrel — there are many union officials, and widespread cultures, of impropriety and malpractice." The Federal Government has vowed to re-introduce legislation re-establishing the Australian Building and Construction Commission and wants it passed by the end of March next year.

Mr Turnbull warned he was prepared to fight an election if Parliament did not support the measure. "If this is not passed, if we cannot get the passage of this legislation through the Senate, then in one form or another it will be a major issue at the next election," he said. "And we will be going to the members of the unions and we will be saying to them we want you to get a fair deal." Employment Minister Michaelia Cash described the final report as "D-day" for corruption within the union movement. "Today, the denial stops and today, the distractions stop," Senator Cash said.

Attorney-General George Brandis announced a joint operation taskforce acting on the recommendations from the royal commission will continue until the end of 2016. Senator Brandis also defended Justice Heydon, claiming he was the subject of "disgraceful attempts to smear his personal and professional reputation". "But I can tell you that when we chose Mr Heydon to lead this royal commission, we chose him not only because we knew of his eminence," he said, "but also because we knew of his unimpeachable integrity."

Opposition labels report 'political stunt'

The Federal Opposition previously released an alternative proposal for union reform, in anticipation of the final report by the royal commission. Mr Shorten has proposed tougher penalties for wrongdoing, as well as additional powers for ASIC. The changes would also include lowering the disclosure threshold for political donations to $1,000. Labor's employment spokesman Brendan O'Connor, who called on the Government to discuss the Opposition's plan, said the Coalition would ultimately use the report to attack wages and conditions. "That's not to say we're not concerned about these matters," Mr O'Connor said. "We are concerned But let's not be fooled here: this is a political stunt, a political exercise, and and it's one that needs to be called for what it is and at the same time we can deal with these serious allegations."

CFMEU national secretary Dave Noonan agreed, saying the report had a predetermined outcome.

"Blind Freddie knows this royal commission was set up to smear Julia Gillard, to smear Bill Shorten and to smear the trade union movement," Mr Noonan said. "That's all it does. It's not about improving workers' rights." Australian Council of Trade Unions secretary Dave Oliver said the royal commission was "about prosecuting an ideological partisan agenda. We have also noted that we believe $80 million was spent on this royal commission at a time when the cost of living is hurting taxpayers, and that money could have been well spent anywhere else," Mr Oliver said. "We have always said that if there have been any serious allegations of wrongdoing, it should be referred to the appropriate authorities for further investigation."

Former AWU head singled out

The commission found the former head of the Australian Workers Union, Cesar Melhem, may have committed offences over an agreement with Thiess John Holland, and a payment to CleanEvent. Mr Melhan has "vehemently" denied any wrongdoing, saying he was confident any further investigations would clear his name. "I will take whatever steps are necessary to ensure these accusations are subject to the scrutiny of a properly constituted law of where the proper standards of evidence are observed — not the Liberal Party kangaroo court," he said. "It's taken a major toll on my family and myself and this commission [doesn't] give a drat about ... people. They are happy for the Liberal Government and this royal commission to basically destroy people's names and reputation and families. "This report and its findings continue to be based largely on subjective assumptions of those conducting the inquiry rather than the evidence that has passed a clear test of a standard of proof that will substantiate a prosecution, let alone a conviction." Victorian Labor Minister Jacinta Allan said the recommendations of the report were serious. "These are the matters that we need to take the time to consider appropriately," Ms Allen said. The State Opposition has called for Mr Melham to stand down.
somewhere between $40 and 80 million dollars of taxpayer money AND sums in the millions from the unions involved. Makes the actual matters being investigated look pretty inconsequential. And :lol: at the LNP taking the moral high ground on corruption, or don't you recall Arthur Sinodinos AO.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

Well it is certainly drawing all the attention away from Mal Brough being an alleged criminal and Jamie Briggs being a drunken sexual predator.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-30/trade-union-royal-commission-turnbull-report/7060250
somewhere between $40 and 80 million dollars of taxpayer money AND sums in the millions from the unions involved. Makes the actual matters being investigated look pretty inconsequential. And :lol: at the LNP taking the moral high ground on corruption, or don't you recall Arthur Sinodinos AO.

Could anyone explain to me what this "grid" thing is?

Seems to be quite a theme here.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Graic Gabtar posted:

Could anyone explain to me what this "grid" thing is?

Seems to be quite a theme here.

It's an organic waste disposal system where you dig a different hole each time you poop in a grid pattern. You dig a grid big enough that the first lot has degraded by the time you get back to the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

It's an organic waste disposal system where you dig a different hole each time you poop in a grid pattern. You dig a grid big enough that the first lot has degraded by the time you get back to the start.

O...K...

And always attributed to Cartoon because he is a massive fan of the concept or posted photos of his own?

• Locked thread