Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

katlington posted:

Maybe I missed where it was clearly stated but what is their actual purpose for marking the anniversary?

It's a memorial event. I wish I was kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lest you think it is for any kind of solemn introspection:

"Regardless of the opposition from the political establishment, we will be gathering in Cronulla on 12 December 2015 to celebrate the 10-year anniversary.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Seeing as Tink already has fdotm covered have a Pope

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
jesus, it's like david attenborough meets emperor palpatine

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

thatbastardken posted:

jesus, it's like david attenborough meets emperor palpatine

I would watch the hell out of that doco

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Lemme save y'all some googling: Kim Vuga's not the martial arts leg guy.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

great, now buzzfeed has taught ruddock how to use safari, too

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

who bought the loving banner ad you fucker I hate you.

werent we talking about this at goonmeet? maybe it was ket

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Lemme save y'all some googling: Kim Vuga's not the martial arts leg guy.

Too late :(

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Far-right group sells ‘Sydney is fun: Cronulla is a riot’ T-shirts before 10th anniversary rally

The group is now touting an all-star cast of Australia’s far right, with four speakers listed on a flyer it has been distributing to local residents’ letter boxes.

Sergio Redegalli who made the Ban the Burka mural in the suburb of Newtown, is listed as a speaker. Redegalli has also made glass plates for the event in the shape of Spartan shields overlaid with southern crosses

“Limited edition” T-shirts designed by Redegalli with the slogan “Sydney is fun: Cronulla is a riot” can also be purchased from the Party for Freedom website for $49.95, available only in sizes large and above

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Funny, I dont remember Clive telling Tones to kill himself.

https://vine.co/v/O0XVqHpXOYj

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

You're doing the Lords work Tink.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Birb Katter posted:

You're doing the Lords work Tink.

The old testament god's work. First dog is a plague.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

First dog sucks

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

http://gu.com/p/4eygd

quote:

The captain of an asylum-seeker boat allegedly intercepted by the Australian navy has told a court how he negotiated a hefty payment to take the migrants back to Indonesia to avoid going home “empty-handed”.

The money was given to us to take the migrants back to Indonesia, and to be honest I need the money – that’s the very reason I took this job.

“I can’t go home empty-handed.”

Humiang said he and one senior crew member got US$6,000 each, and US$20,000 was divided between the four other crew members.

He took the money and agreed to take the migrants back to Indonesia, as he had not yet been paid by the people-smuggler who had arranged the trip to New Zealand.

New Zealand.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Smugglers are well known for their honesty.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Negligent posted:

Smugglers are well known for their honesty.

As is the Liberal party.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

katlington posted:

Maybe I missed where it was clearly stated but what is their actual purpose for marking the anniversary?

chance to bash some lebs innit

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Penny Wong posted:

Today is the sixth anniversary of the Australian Greens voting with Tony Abbott against Labor’s Carbon Pollution Reduction scheme. The Greens’ stance blocked introduction of a carbon price and had a disastrous impact on Australia’s climate policies.

Two years later they voted for a virtually identical Emissions Trading Scheme.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just got a letter today from the Administrative Appeals Tribunal informing me that my appeal was successful and I can stay on the DSP.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ScreamingLlama posted:

I just got a letter today from the Administrative Appeals Tribunal informing me that my appeal was successful and I can stay on the DSP.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

saty strong buddy glad that AMRAAM is workin out for you

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ScreamingLlama posted:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

hnnnnng can you be joyous more quietly (almost whispering) im about to cum

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I lost Austudy today because Centrelink decided I'm no longer studying, despite adding the new study period details and using the document upload to provide proof of enrollment exactly the same as every other time, so now I have to go down there and find out how far up their rear end I need to go to find a head to talk to.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ScreamingLlama posted:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Well done mate.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

I lost Austudy today because Centrelink decided I'm no longer studying, despite adding the new study period details and using the document upload to provide proof of enrollment exactly the same as every other time, so now I have to go down there and find out how far up their rear end I need to go to find a head to talk to.

I'm starting to think Scomo ordered them to be as obstructive and useless as possible. Though it does fit in with my theory that the Libs are conspiring to kill off the poor, disabled and elderly to advance a social Darwinist agenda.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

ScreamingLlama posted:

I'm starting to think Scomo ordered them to be as obstructive and useless as possible. Though it does fit in with my theory that the Libs are conspiring to kill off the poor, disabled and elderly to advance a social Darwinist agenda.

We're talking about the same finger-puppets who are trialling welfare smart cards for indigenous communities just because Twiggy Forrest said they should. Their entire raison d'etre is to burn ants with a magnifying glass on a national scale.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Sixteen licensed venues have been granted exemptions from the lockout laws in central Sydney and Kings Cross since September last year, the latest figures reveal.

The trade-off is that alcohol cannot be sold after 1.30am but customers can still enter to play poker machines.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
laughing hard at the idea that centrelink needed orders to be obstructionist

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the year is 2050.

every house in australia can have up to 2 poker machines per person.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Senate will likely pass legislation today locking FEE HELP to 2015 levels for 2016.

Full disclosure: I work for an RTO and this will likely negatively affect me personally, but that aside this is a really crazy way of doing it at this late point in the year.

Every college will have their funding limited to 2015 levels. The college I work for is completely compliant, and was actually one of the ones looked at in depth during the recent audits which we passed with flying colours. We have a campus which just started up this year offering a two year advanced diploma, meaning this year it's been running at half capacity due to not having second year students yet. If as a consequence of doing a good job we have a high percentage of students going forward into second year it means we will effectively have no ability to offer places for first year students.

Those students will then just go to one of the providers with more spaces due to their higher drop out rate. Net result? No penalty for the dodgy providers.

There definitely needs to be a major crackdown on dodgy providers rorting the system. I'd even agree with many arguments that the system would be better off with more funding to Uni and TAFE. This is the worst possible way though, it's December and this being sprung at the last minute means there are students around Australia planning to study next month who now will have their plans hosed up.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 2, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
CFMEU ordering stop work at the black lung coal mines.

quote:

Grasstree coal mine employees stop work after Queensland miners diagnosed with black lung, union says

Miners at the Grasstree coal mine, north of Emerald in Queensland, have walked off the job over health concerns, their union says, after it was revealed four coal miners had been diagnosed with black lung, a disease thought to have been eradicated in Australia.

CFMEU Queensland district president Steve Smyth said in a statement that the resurgence of the disease had sent shock waves through the mining community.

"Right now we don't know how far this disease has spread and continuing to work in conditions that cause black lung will put more people's lives at risk," Mr Smyth said.

Queensland Mines Minister Dr Anthony Lynham conceded on Tuesday that potentially hundreds of thousands of X-rays taken to detect black lung had not been assessed due to a lack of doctors qualified to read them.

7.30 revealed that a 1983 review of the Mines Department records identified 75 cases of possible black lung.

The report has never made public.

"The workers involved in that report have never received the treatment they need, and only now are we discovering this as we sit on the edge of another outbreak," Mr Smyth said.

So not only is loving BLACK LUNG a thing in Australian mines, it's been around for the last 30 loving years and nobody bothered to tell the people dying from it what was happening to them.

Everyone remember when politicians were saying we should stop dole payments and force the unemployed to move to the mines?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Centrelink should be unpleasant, like getting a colonoscopy, but most of the time it isn't.

I only had to go there once, when i was at uni to get youth allowance. Was pretty easy.

I guess if you are autistic or otherwise have difficulties interacting with other humans then it could be difficult, but then so will everything else in your life and its unlikely a govt department will ever resourced to make your life easy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Negligent posted:

Centrelink should be unpleasant, like getting a colonoscopy, but most of the time it isn't.

I only had to go there once, when i was at uni to get youth allowance. Was pretty easy.

I guess if you are autistic or otherwise have difficulties interacting with other humans then it could be difficult, but then so will everything else in your life and its unlikely a govt department will ever resourced to make your life easy.

You say that like it's easy to live on the pittance centrelink provides.

Nevermind the fact that it should not in any way be unpleasant or difficult for students to receive Youth Allowance, Austudy or Abstudy, nor should those students have any kind of idiotic Tory shame and judgment, for leaning when they should be working, heaped on them for claiming the payments - with most of that coming from shitlords, coasting their way through on fees paid up front and in full by mum and dad's money, hopefully all the way along to the wall they'll be put against one day.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Frogfingers posted:

We're talking about the same finger-puppets who are trialling welfare smart cards for indigenous communities just because Twiggy Forrest said they should. Their entire raison d'etre is to burn ants with a magnifying glass on a national scale.

An entire government full of Joffreys. It's loving horrifying.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

You say that like it's easy to live on the pittance centrelink provides.

Nevermind the fact that it should not in any way be unpleasant or difficult for students to receive Youth Allowance, Austudy or Abstudy, nor should those students have any kind of idiotic Tory shame and judgment, for leaning when they should be working, heaped on them for claiming the payments - with most of that coming from shitlords, coasting their way through on fees paid up front and in full by mum and dad's money, hopefully all the way along to the wall they'll be put against one day.

If you're careful with your money, it's not hard to live on disability since other payments come with it, like the mobility allowance, telephone allowance, etc.

I heartily agree, though, the rampant welfare-shaming by the far right is bullshit at its smelliest.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
The lack of care in social support segues nicely into this argument against euthanasia:

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue...dc245-302703509

Effectively it's a doctor saying that euthanasia is a poor euphemism for killing, and that the push to legalise reflects an attitude that caring is too hard.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On the other hand I want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

asio posted:

The lack of care in social support segues nicely into this argument against euthanasia:

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue...dc245-302703509

Effectively it's a doctor saying that euthanasia is a poor euphemism for killing, and that the push to legalise reflects an attitude that caring is too hard.

That was an awful article. I have read other articles by Hitchcock and they were good, but slamming nursing homes as places where society send people to die due to the staff being negligent or not caring (I will need to send my father to one soon, but it will be for improving his health, not reducing it) and statements where "oh if the patients are in pain we'll pump them full of morphine and other high end pain killers" as if that's a get out of jail card is a load of crap.

If I am old and everything is failing in my body and I need assistance even to take a poo poo, loving pump me full of morphine and let me go.

I can't believe how callous Hitchcock was in that article.

• Locked thread