Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hello D&D Auspol what's going down?

I'm in Perth atm, everything here is sponsored by a mining company of one shade or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like a lot of the articles are saying Mal is 'standing aside' instead of 'standing down' or resigning.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

I'm in Perth atm, everything here is sponsored by a mining company of one shade or another.

Oh hey Endman, I'm sorry that you're in Perth, because it's full of racists and miners and idiots, sometimes all in the same body (twiggy forest immediately springing to mind). Perth goons are pretty cool though. Hopefully GSC has healed enough and we can have another goonmeet soon.

Also please post your Perth Tinder Adventures TIA.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Recoome posted:

Eh, the "appropriateness" of behaviour is usually means sexual harrassment/unwanted advances, if it was just racism he probably wouldn't have resigned over it.

I would like to think casual racism would be considerer inappropriate behavior and a sackable offense, particularly when put towards a public servant of another country... but yeah, you're probably right.

Endman posted:

Even the Perth Greens party branch?

Please don't tell me they sold out as well :(

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Mathias Cormann @MathiasCormann

Very sad for my good friend Jamie. I know him as a decent, hard working and capable contributor to our cause. He has much to contribute.

quote:

Ewen Jones MP @EwenJonesMP

@BriggsJamie will be back. Cream always rises. A good man and a better bloke. Tough day for a man doing a good job.

versus

quote:

"With Briggs leaving it means there will be no deterioration in the overall quality of the ministry, in fact it should improve," [Nationals] Senator [John] Williams said on Tuesday.

quote:

One Liberal who did not wish to be named said Mr Turnbull had removed two of the Ministry's most internally loathed members: "The IQ quota has gone up and the talentless arrogance quota has gone down with this move," the Liberal said.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Can we extradite Jamie Briggs to China?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

quote:

One Liberal who did not wish to be named said Mr Turnbull had removed two of the Ministry's most internally loathed members: "The IQ quota has gone up and the talentless arrogance quota has gone down with this move," the Liberal said.

Bunch'a weird children

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
bet Ian Macfarlane kicking himself for his attempted flip to the nats now. Probably would of been a decent chance of snatching up one of the now free ministries if he's stayed.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Sexually assaulting a woman is only slightly below the extremely high standard expected of politicians.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

dr_rat posted:

bet Ian Macfarlane kicking himself for his attempted flip to the nats now. Probably would of been a decent chance of snatching up one of the now free ministries if he's stayed.

Abbott could probably have a crack I reckon.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

redweird posted:

Sexually assaulting a woman is only slightly below the extremely high standard expected of politicians.
Incorrect. Getting caught is.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Tough day for a man doing a good job (of harassing women).

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

First two tweets remind me of:

http://www.theonion.com/video/college-basketball-star-heroically-overcomes-tragi-19097

Solemn Sloth posted:

Can we extradite Jamie Briggs to China?

Why would we extradite him to China if it happened in Hong Kong?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jumpingmanjim posted:

because presumably he's back here now, and if it was something serious the authorities might want to have him there

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jumpingmanjim posted:

First two tweets remind me of:

http://www.theonion.com/video/college-basketball-star-heroically-overcomes-tragi-19097

Honk Kong has been Chinese territory for a long time now.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Also:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

Abbott could probably have a crack I reckon.

Pretty sure the only ministry that Turbull would seriously consider putting Abbott in is 'Minister for not saying stupid poo poo to the media', which unfortunately for Abbott doesn't appear to be either of the Ministries available.

Maybe in the next cabinet reshuffle.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 29, 2015

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure the only ministry that Turbull would seriously consider putting Abbott in is 'Minister for not saying stupid poo poo to the media', which unfortunately for Abbott doesn't appear to be either of the Ministries available.

Maybe in the next cabinet reshuffle.

Maybe Minister for Agriculture so he could have a legitimate reason for hoeing into every loving raw vegetable on the planet.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Hate to break it to you mate

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hong Kong is Chinese clay.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Oh hey Endman, I'm sorry that you're in Perth, because it's full of racists and miners and idiots, sometimes all in the same body (twiggy forest immediately springing to mind). Perth goons are pretty cool though. Hopefully GSC has healed enough and we can have another goonmeet soon.

Also please post your Perth Tinder Adventures TIA.

If I can bum a lift, or its near public transport I am good to go.

If you sneeze on me I will loving stab you though.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

dr_rat posted:

Even the Perth Greens party branch?

Please don't tell me they sold out as well :(

Scott Ludlam, as presented by Brawndo & Rio Tinto.

Its got what miners crave!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

GoldStandardConure posted:

Is that a promise (I lust for death)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Hong Kong is Chinese clay.

NOOOOOOOOOO

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
Mal Brough is said to have resigned today after mysteriously fading out of existence. When asked to comment, Prime Minister Turnbull replied; "Mal Brough? Who's that??? No one named Mal Brough has ever worked here.... Do you mean MalCOLM, my name? Because that's me!! I'm certainly not Mal Brough!!!"

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/jamie-briggs-an-ambitious-mp-who-overstepped-the-mark-20151229-glwgt3.html

quote:

"He's always been very sure of himself," says one colleague - perhaps too sure of himself.

When ABC radio host Rafael Epstein described him as a "junior minister" - a common term in Canberra - he shot back by calling Epstein "a junior radio presenter" and accused him of not showing his position respect.

quote:

A passionate free marketeer, Briggs helped design Work Choices while working in John Howard's office. He has recently called for cuts to penalty rates on Sundays and public holidays.

quote:

A former flatmate and political ally of Joe Hockey, Briggs publicly said he voted for Abbott against Turnbull in September.

quote:

In September, the day after Malcolm Turnbull rolled Tony Abbott as leader, Briggs was filmed being pushed into a party room meeting in a wheelchair. When rumours emerged that Briggs had injured himself dancing on a marble table in a ministerial suite, his spokesman said he had "seriously injured his leg while on a run this morning".

Briggs, 38, later conceded he hurt his leg during "high jinks with the former prime minister" on the night of the spill.

"Look, I went to tackle him; I ran at him and missed and the rest is history," he said. "I then limped back to my office and licked my wounds."

Christ.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Bridie Jabour ‏@bkjabour 3h3 hours ago

. @LaurieOakes reporting Jamie Briggs tried to kiss the female public servant on the neck while they were at the bar.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Simple misunderstanding, as he is a vampire after all.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Birb Katter posted:

Is that a promise (I lust for death)

just try me sneezy

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

Where abouts are you? I may be able to help.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Bridie Jabour ‏@bkjabour 3h3 hours ago

. @LaurieOakes reporting Jamie Briggs tried to kiss the female public servant on the neck while they were at the bar.

That would seem to fit the very carefully worded of the letter posted earlier. Figured it would be either that or being groped in the 'very crowded bar'.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
She took offense to my advances *tries to sexually harrass a public servant*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
*straightens blue tie*
Milady

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I tend to think that kissing someone on the neck against their consent is in fact illegal.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Frogmanv2 posted:

Where abouts are you? I may be able to help.

Mirrabooka area, but if froglet is going I can scam a lift off her as she's pretty close by.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

No worries.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Solemn Sloth posted:

I tend to think that kissing someone on the neck against their consent is in fact illegal.

Would probably depend on if he kept doing it when she told him to gently caress off.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Would probably depend on if he kept doing it when she told him to gently caress off.

If you could show me the bit in a law which says consent is implied until retracted that'd be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What happened next is dis­puted. Briggs’s supporters say he complimented the young woman on her eyes, put his arm around her shoulders during a photograph and gave her a peck on the cheek as he left. “The allegation is he used words to the effect of she had piercing eyes or beautiful eyes,’’ a source close to Briggs said. “He allegedly also touched her on the shoulder and kissed her on the cheek good night.”

The other version is that there was more to it than a kiss on the cheek, with the suggestion the kiss was planted on her neck.

• Locked thread