Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

I dont think he should be fired for something that has nothing to do with his job.

If he made the post from a company account, or was representing the company at the time, it makes sense.

I mean if you're ok with people getting fired for having lovely opinions y'all better lift your game.

If I was filmed wearing a company branded shirt shouting sexual abuse at a woman in public you'd bet I'd probably get fired. Same poo poo applies if you associate your social media account with your company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Greens Deputy Leader Scott Ludlam is under fire this morning after the outspoken anti-nuclear advocate was revealed to be powered by a nuclear reactor embedded deep inside his chest.

Scott Ludlam: Literally Metallo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EXAKT Science posted:

Is there a War on Christmas in Australia too?

It's a white genocide on Christmas thank you.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
RIP me, I am undone.

Guardian AU posted:

Australia approved coalmine because it isn't a 'neo-colonialist' power, Greg Hunt claims
Environment minister defends approval of Indian company Adani’s $16bn Carmichael mine, saying ‘poorest should be able to make their own decisions’

The Australian government approved Adani’s controversial $16bn Carmichael coalmine in Queensland because it was not a “neo-colonialist”power that tried to tell poor countries what to do, environment minister Greg Hunt has told a side event at the Paris climate summit.

Hunt was speaking about the coalition’s Direct Action policy at an OECD event on different climate policies when he was challenged by a questioner about why the government had approved the Adani mine given the huge quantity of emissions its coal would create.

“This is not an Australian government project, it is a private sector firm from India and ... I thought we were over neocolonial moment where the wealthy decide what happens to the poor,” Hunt countered.

“I hope you would agree the poorest countries should be able to decide their own energy future. I am not a neo-colonialist. I think the poorest should be able to make their own decisions,” he said.

And he said the federal environment law allowed him to judge projects according to strict criteria, but greenhouse emissions weren’t one of them.

“It is not our project, there is no federal money, the federal government of Australia acts as a judge not as an advocate and I think it is very important that individual countries set their targets and make their own decisions,” he said.

Conservation groups have asked the federal court to overturn the Hunt’s approval Carmichael because he did not take into account the impact on the Great Barrier Reef of the greenhouse gases emitted when the coal is burned.

A recent report designed to highlight the quantity of emissions that would be created by the coal from the mine found that it would create annual emissions similar to those from countries like Malaysia and Austria and more emissions than New York City.

Others on the panel, including the head of the renewable energy division of the International Energy Agency, Paolo Frankl, said “reverse auctions” like Australia’s Direct Action scheme were proving very efficient around the world, especially in financing renewable energy projects. (Australia’s scheme has not been used for this purpose, but has mainly financed land use, waste and energy efficiency projects.) But he said a carbon price was usually also needed to drive a long term price signal.

Asked if reverse auctions could be used on their own to give business the long term price signals, Frankl said “it can but it would not be very useful. If you look at Brazil and Australia that is exactly what they are doing now, but in addition to that there should be a carbon price which could give an additional signal ... we need some long term price signal but also some short term signals.”

Hunt is leading Australia’s delegation in the first week of the two-week Paris climate summit which aims to reach an agreement to progressively increase the ambition of global efforts to reduce greenhouse gases out to 2030.

The foreign minister, Julie Bishop, will take over the negotiating lead next weekend. The talks began in earnest on Tuesday after a day of speeches by 150 world leaders designed to give them purpose and momentum.

Over the two weeks delegates will seek to overcome deep divisions over issues including whether rich and poor countries must face the same rules for reporting and checking their emission reductions and the amount of financing developed countries will provide to help poor nations reduce their emissions and deal with the impact of climate change.

loving kill me.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EvilElmo posted:

Greens voting with LNP to ensure 500 companies can keep their tax disclosure secret.

Another sell out. They really are trying to come in to the mainstream. You guys turning a blind eye?

Got a link? Because that seems like a huge walkback on the greens policy of transparency.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

drat the greens have failed once again in their attempts to appeal to the young labor true believer demographic

:golfclap:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

It's this kind of thinking that got us the Labor party.

Labor compromised their values in order to appeal to populism.

Greens making compromises which I might not necessarily agree with in order to get through good amendments is something I'm ok with.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Border Force Now Targeting: War Heroes, Nuns.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birb Katter posted:

"The community needs to be aware that their human rights may be impacted upon"

gently caress me.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

An example would obviously be imprisonment rates. I can't imagine that there is any society on earth in which women would exceed men by those measurements and yet somehow that feels intuitively to make sense right? As if despite the variations of culture and economics amongst the world's peoples, this imbalance must originate in something to do with a fundamental difference between men and women that is rooted in our nature. Perhaps these imbalances (often complementary) manifest themselves in many areas of life, to the extent that earning equal wages through selling their labour to the market is a rather arbitrary and ahistorical way of measuring equality and respectful, productive relations between the sexes.

Now apply your logic to indigenous incarceration rates and :fuckoff:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

If you were given a choice of going back in time and killing Adolph Hitler or going back in time and killing John Howard, who would you choose and why?

Without some of the incompetence/bad decision making of Hitler WW2 might have gone totally different for the Germans.

Did you ever consider that time travel exists and Hitler was the least bad outcome they could create?

You monster.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Actually I'm inclined to view Howard and Costello not investing any of the money from the mining boom/relative prosperity of that era into infrastructure and into developing new industries as one of the larger economic fuckups in Australian history

Yeah, squandering a massive loving resources boom is a pretty heinous fuckup.

Even if Howard hadn't privatised telstra and irredeemably hosed communications infrastructure in this country Turdbull would still have done it anyway in 2017.

EDIT: Calling it now btw. Death is Certain... again.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
If we're honest, most goons would lose a fistfight to hitler.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Quelle loving surprise

Guardian AU posted:

Australia ranked third-last in climate change performance of 58 countries
2016 Climate Change Performance Index released at Paris climate summit, day after Julie Bishop said Australia was meeting and beating its climate targets

Australia has come third last in an annual assessment of 58 nations’ climate policies, with only Saudi Arabia and Kazakhstan ranking worse.

The assessment by Germanwatch and Climate Action Network Europe was released at the Paris climate summit, just one day after foreign minister Julie Bishop told the assembled ministers Australia was meeting and beating its climate targets and transforming its energy production.

The report measures actual emission levels per capita, the trend in emissions projections, the deployment of renewable energy, and the energy intensity of the economy, and assesses climate policies for each of the 58 countries.

Australia’s score is slightly better than last year, but not enough to shift it very far up the rankings.

The Australian Conservation Foundation acted as one of the “expert advisers” for the review, and its chief executive, Kelly O’Shannassy, said the study showed up the difference between what Australia was saying at the Paris conference and what it was doing.

“This report cuts through the government’s spin to show that we are a climate laggard,” she said.

Denmark topped the ranking, while the UK, Sweden, Belgium and France all scored well. Japan and Korea ranked only slightly higher than Australia.

Australia’s high per capita emissions means it scores very badly in the first category of the assessment – measuring emissions levels. It scores better, although not well, in a second category assessing projected future emissions across a number of sectors. It also scores poorly on renewable energy deployment, where other countries are moving faster, and on both national and international climate policy.

The expert comments would have contributed to the negative assessment. A selection are printed in the report, including:

The current policy framework is evaluated as inadequate to meet Australia’s minimum 2020 target of 5% below 2000 level.
Through legislative amendments in June 2015, Australia’s renewable energy target (RET) was scaled down from 41,000 GWh to 33,000 GWh. The definition of renewable energy was also altered to include burning of biomass from native forests. Experts criticise that this move would restrict uptake of real renewable energy, drive deforestation, cause carbon emissions and reduce sequestration.
Experts criticise that policies like the Emission Reduction Fund are weak, poorly designed and do not cover major emitters. The “safeguard mechanism” sets baselines for industrial emitters but in its currently proposed form does not capture many of the nation’s largest emitters and does not seek to reduce emissions.
The report was finalised before the recent change of prime minister and does not appear to reflect what many negotiators believe is a more positive attitude by Australia in Paris.

It says Australia’s record at global climate talks in recent years has been “poor” and that Australia tried to “relegate climate change off the agenda” in the leadup to the G20 meeting in Brisbane.

“Experts criticise that Australia’s attitude appeared to be to try to avoid making any substantive commitments, and to do the absolute minimum that it has to. There appeared to be no recognition of Australia’s national interest in minimising climate change; rather, the focus seems to be on protecting domestic energy and resource exporters (coal and gas industry),” it says.

The UK moved up the rankings, from six to five, because it has continued to expand renewable energy and set a deadline for phasing out coal-fired power.

Indonesia also moved up, despite rampant illegal deforestation, because it has low per capita emissions and – according to the report – “improvements can be seen in the renewable and the efficiency scores”.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
At what point does :godwin: no longer apply?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

Who wants to laugh until they cry or puke?

Google tells me there are 631 asylum seekers on Nauru and 943 on Manus Island, that's 1574 people in concentration camp hell.

With a $1.2b budget, that works out as $762,388 per person, per year. That's over three quarters of a million dollars per person per year.

Now, who remembers when His Tonyship decided that buying your way to citizenship was a good idea? Who can remember how much money they decided you should pay to become Australian?

It was $50,000.

So, for what we're spending now to torture these people, we could give them the money and they could buy full citizenship and still end up with $710,000 for every man, woman and child in offshore detention. Which is more than enough for a house, school, starting a business, anything.

And all we'd have to give up as a nation is to stop torturing children.

Newstart is 502 a fortnight for a single. So 13k a year. For the cost of the offshore detention program we could give 1200000000/13000 = 92307 refugees a new start in Australia. Not to mention that every cent of that money would go straight back into our economy because newstart is woefully low.

Also that assumes that none of them get jobs which is pretty unlikely.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

I am debating going on Centrelink while out of work because its coming up to a tricky season to find work and honestly I would rather be off work over xmas anyway. I have about 5 grand saved which I was hoping to use to pay for a sinus operation next year - is this going to affect my chance at receiving welfare payments?

Im currently living off that money and while I dont mind doing so, I really need to get my loving sinus fixed.

There is no requirement, however based on how much money you have centrelink can withhold funding for up to 13 weeks. At least that was what I found when I looked into it for my housemate (same situation, unemployed but with savings for surgery).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birb Katter posted:

You're not wrong but it's 5k and change for the limit. So I guess you're still wrong but not as wrong as you could be.

If you are single then your payment will be delayed 1 week for every $500 you have above $5,000. This maxes out at 13 weeks if you have 11.5k or above.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mr Chips posted:

not sure if this is more appropriate for the Aus Universities thread or the IR slant makes it worth talking about here, but the VC @ Uni of WA has just come out and said the 200 professional and 100 academic staff will go next year. No details, no real rationale, just a big gently caress you. Going by the past few financial statements, the university is operating at comfortable annual surpluses, although he has recently internally criticised some academic disciplines generating less profit than MBAs for international students do.

What are the odds this is just an ambit claim and he'll back down to a more reasoned number?

Given how the engineering dept. has been gutted in the last few years turning the whole degree into a bit of a joke it's probably true. UWA is the loving worst.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'm going to start outsourcing my shitposting.

1 fart / shitpost is the going rate. HUFF AWAY.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

There are the novelties on Sportsbet. I won like $80 betting on the pope a few years ago.

Now I really want poperacing like horseracing.

Actually I want cardinal Pell to break his leg and then have a tent carefully erected around him while a man goes to get a gun.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Cardinal Pell, who is base in Rome, had "serious health conditions".

Good.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Trump will never be president, but his involvement in this election cycle will gently caress up political discourse in the US for years/decades to come.

Moreso than it is hosed up already.

He's far more a symptom of the hosed discourse than he is a cause of it. He's just outright saying what republicans have been dog-whistling for years.

Also he's proved the outright lieing rather than lieing by misinformation or by omission works just as well.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Ludlam/Sanders/Corbyn dream team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kZHiWL59gU

hooman fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 11, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Ah yes, the very large and much coveted muslim vote at a whopping 2.2% of Australians.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Nibbles! posted:

If you go back through history there's lots of popular candidates that drop once time to actually nominate comes around. I think Giuliani had higher levels than Trump has now a year out from nomination, but by the time it came around reality sets it.

Australia elected tones.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

'Pell unable to attend sex abuse inquiry due to 'heart condition''

Yeah it seems to be missing.

He's got the black heart. It's similar to the black lung but it comes from exposure to covered up child sexual abuse depositions.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
:qq: Why won't these leftists stop interrupting our peaceful anti-muslim hate rallies?!:qq:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EXAKT Science posted:

Oh gently caress. At least the people in ours are criminals?

gently caress it dude, I got nothing. Burn it all.

QFT

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

First Comment posted:

Why are they called racists? What race is islam? Islam is an ideology that someone chooses to believe or reject and has nothing to do with race. Antifa are the fascists yet they label people concerned about the doctrine of islam (a fascist ideology) as fascists lmao and are openly racist towards white people. The worlds gone mad when to be a proud Aussie is seen by badly educated people as something that their fascist mindset wants to fight.

BINGO!

EDIT: "leftard racist bigots"

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 13, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Courtesy of the extraordinarily inaccurately named "Angus Smart":

"1 Islam anit no race!!!! Stop saying it is cause it just shows how fucken dumb u really are... N 2nd these so called extrem lefties wouldn't be able to fight their way outta a paper big, their that weak n gutless.., n 3rdly if these lefties want to rumble bring it, they won't last long against a group of meat eaters... N finally the lefty media has become so toxic to the extent that people are starting to realise they feed bullshit n aren't excepting it anymore n you lot cant handle it!!!!"

Help I can't stop, it's like the time I fell down a redpill hole:

"Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most of these anti racism protesters extremely pro socialist party movement? Wasn't the Nazi party a socialist party? Sort of contradictory of of what they are protesting. Just saying lol......What's the bet I get one of these guys on my comments abuse me for saying this as well"

:godwin:

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 13, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Chickenpox parties were a thing in the 90s before a widely available vaccine

When a kid at my school got chicken pox my parents basically made sure that me and my sister would catch it too so that we'd be immune in later life.

Also holy gently caress that antivaxxer advocating vaccinations by infection rather than by vaccine... :irony:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birb Katter posted:

For many years it was a good plan. It sucked balls for a few but this was how we got herd immunity before science got better.

Yeah literally this, it was either "get chicken pox as a kid and risk shingles in later life" or "live the rest of your life in fear of chicken pox because if you get it as an adult it can gently caress you up really badly".

A family friend got chicken pox as an adult and was made sterile by it. So my parents figured it was better to take the shingles risk.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

i'm not racist but the loving brown people who worship the chickenscratch god are fuckers and they should just leave australia for the white peoiple!!!!!

Chickenscratch god-ism isn't a race, therefore I'm not racist and you're the real fascists. Now excuse me while I call for the deportation of those filthy chicken-nuggets.

EDIT: *protests islam in australia* *goes on holidays to bali*

hooman fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 13, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

Bali is mostly Hindu

Doesn't change them invading and culturally imposing themselves on a different country.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

sponsored by: all the people who I hate/have said mean things about me :(

:perfect:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

i'm glad the thread delivers whenever the enormity of our racism is question.

:australia:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It actually gives me a lot of hope, seeing this assholes whining about how oppressed they are. The racism may be getting stronger in small parts, but the antiracist community in Australia is growing fast and every time we outprotest these idiots we make a statement that they're shithouse views aren't acceptable here and we won't take their poo poo.

No closed mouths, only closed fists.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EXAKT Science posted:

I think it makes perfect sense for a terrible racist to support a Grand Wizard Magical Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
~~Liberal Chaos~~

• Locked thread