Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Starshark posted:

I think the second funniest thing Abbott ever said was that the adults are back in charge.

Was the funniest "Aaaah, umm, ahh"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

iajanus posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem like a particularly good compromise.

We don't entirely know how the compromise went. Sure, it's not the compromise we'd want, it's probably not the compromise they wanted either. But it's the best they could get, and it's better than nothing.

I don't want them to slide to the right either, but I don't think this is that. I think this is just them trying to get lovely people to pass non-lovely legislation.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

starkebn posted:

how does this compare to the narrative of Greens folding to LNP's desires regards to corporate financial accountability? Or when Labor does it it's just par for the course?

It's South Australia. About six people are going to notice, only two of them will care.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yes. See also: Bottled water, praxis vs theory, and christmas decorations on public transport

In fairness, our Prime Minister seems to be basing most of his political platform on 'not only should Uber be completely legal, all companies should be like Uber'. We've got right to argue the poo poo out of this one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I'd want to punch both Howard and Abbott in the face with approximately the same amount of force, but I feel like for different reasons.

Howard I want to punch for purely political reasons. I'd probably hate him as a person too, yes, but the main reason to give him a solid what-for is because of what he did. He's the main reason that the country I live in and the future I have to look forward to are both utter poo poo; why I'm anxious, scared and depressed pretty much every day. It doesn't matter if he's a saint outside of that, I still want to infuse every ounce of my pain that can be directly traced to the lovely economic and political decisions he made into my fist and deliver it straight to his skull.

Abbott's the other way around, I want to punch because he's just a poo poo person. Mercifully he never managed to really enact anything that hurt me; his election put an end to the good stuff Labor had going on, but that would've happened no matter who was helming the LNP, that's not really on him. If he had his way we'd be the worst country on Earth by all metrics, and certainly he tried (and got further than he should have, indirectly), but he was just too much of an utter fuckwad to pull it off. So that just leaves him as not just the worst Prime Minister we've ever had, but also the worst person who has ever been Prime Minister, which is a big distinction.

I want to punch Turnbull for both of these reasons.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 7, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

SynthOrange posted:

Someone please turn down the thermostat

Two nights ago here in Adelaide was the hottest night since like the 1870s. Last night, there was a thunderstorm.

We've reached that point, right near the end of the year, when nature makes another attempt on the life of the entire country.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

freebooter posted:

And I'm again reminded of that old piece about how Bush, post-presidency, handled living in a country where only 30% of the people approved of him, i.e. by living entirely within that 30%. "I've had thousands of letters of support," Tony says. Yeah no poo poo mate but there's like 22 million people in Australia.

And I'd guess the only people who would actually support Tony are the type to be writing letters, anyway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Laserface posted:

Im not following the US election stuff at all. is it actually looking like Trump is going to be elected? surely they arent that stupid?

He still hasn't really faced anything that would actually challenge him. He might look like the most popular Republican candidate, but that doesn't ensure he gets the nomination. And even as the most popular Republican, he's still looking like he's trailing behind Clinton and Sanders.

I mean, he could still become President, it's not entirely impossible. But it's not as likely as these sorts of things suggest.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

So what are you guys doing to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Cronulla riots?

Well Tom's Diner has been stuck in my head all day, and shows no sign of stopping tomorrow. So I'm content with doing nothing outside of the ordinary, but humming the song that's basically as far opposite to angry shithead riots as possible while doing it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
These people think they're not racist, but really the thing is that they literally cannot fathom the notion that other people aren't as racist as them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Birdstrike posted:

we should have themed buses year-round imo

"Stoke your revolutionary fervour on the new M52 Parramatta - City bedecked in anti-capitalist propaganda. All aboard the Smash the State Express"

I think the bus I took home from uni was themed all-year-round after privatisation.

It was never on time, always overcrowded, the seats were terrible and the ticket prices were always pointlessly expensive.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Neither of them by Monis.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

hooman posted:

I thought that Monis shot one (which prompted the raid) and the po-po shot the other (and Monis)?

Yeah this much of an outpouring of grief over the death toll of the average rural road accident is a bit over the top.

I honestly don't remember if the deaths were entirely from the police shooting, or just mostly from the police shooting, and I'll cop that as a personal error. Tragedy no matter what, but I think it's important to take into account.

Taking the Lindt hostage situation as just straight-up 'ISLAMIC TERRORISM ON AUSTRALIAN SOIL' is perhaps the worst thing you can do when talking about it; it devalues everything else in favor of overinflating the relevance of ISIS, which is both very minor (there's resonable cause to believe that Monis was basically an independent incident latching on to them) and exactly what they would want. Instead, maybe make note of other facts, like how Monis was a potential danger that the Islamic community tried to warn authorities about anyway, how their 'first dreadful step into Australia' amounted to one guy holding up a cafe and a low single-digit bodycount, and how most of those deaths weren't even on the terrorist.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Amethyst posted:

The only person who perpetuated a lie here was Cleretic.

Yeah, sorry about that. I bungled recalling the facts, and of course didn't actually realize it. My bad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Birb Katter posted:

Looks like Abetz isn't happy with the QANDA review

tl;dr: NUH-UH

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'm not opposed to it - I just wont get into it.

So am I semi out of touch?

Nah, you're just uncool.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Laserface posted:

Besides the Air Force and other government operated aircraft for the politicians, there is zero publically owned airlines in Australia, correct? Wasnt Ansett the only one?

Some arrogant fuckhead on facebook is arguing that public transport in Australia is hosed because their Jetstar flight is delayed by 2 hours. A number of people have told her that its a private company but apparently in her mind 'public transport' includes any form of transport the public has access to.

I'm not 100% on this, but from what I recall Qantas was a privatised public airline. And Jetstar was founded by the people who own it to get around the regulations the government put Qantas on.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Amoeba102 posted:

Makes sense for driving sinc eyou will have a drivers license to be legally allowed to drive. But you don't need a license to cycle, so you could conceivably not own a photo ID.

Yeah, the biggest problem group with every type of photo ID, it seems, are people who don't have a driver's license. Getting properly workable photo ID outside of a driver's license can be a loving task, especially if you need to shoot for a Proof of Age card and aren't tremendously well-grounded in the sorts of thigns they ask for.

Annoyingly, the easiest way to get a Proof of Age card is to have a driver's license, but if you have a driver's license you don't need it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Did I miss something or does that piece not offer any explanation as to why these titans of industry have conspired to stomp on the throats of cyclists?

I'm guessing it's mostly because the people with the money to make this poo poo happen aren't the type that would profit from cyclists. But are the types that would profit from cars.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Frogfingers posted:

Why the gently caress isn't Workchoices the grim spectre hovering over Australian life the way 'carbon tax' was?

Well, the obvious reason is that the people demonising the carbon tax actually think Workchoices was a pretty good idea.

Personally, I'd also believe that part of it comes through the names. 'Carbon tax' is a really easy thing to aim at, because just from the name it's clear what it is, and from there you can plan your attack. 'Workchoices' is one of those skeevy, empty names that sounds like it means something vaguely positive but doesn't actually give you any idea what it refers to or does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Solemn Sloth posted:

I was under the apparently mistaken understanding that in a parliamentary vote you can either vote for, vote against or abstain. It's way more interesting now I know you can vote on a strongly disagree to strongly agree scale

I think what that site does is aggregate their views on specific issues based on how they voted. So no, he didn't write 'gently caress YES' on the ballot for uranium exporting, but he certainly voted more strongly for it than increasing surveillance powers.

• Locked thread