Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Wait I missed the hive mind consensus on the sex party, did we decide they are good for disagreeing with amethyst on abortion protestors or are they a libertarian party run by the sex industry?

I assume about 90% of their members joined so they could get a little card saying they were in the sex party. :wiggle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Yeah I joined the Tobacco and Gunpowder Party. It's a party for consenting adults who like to smoke the odd rollie and admire the craftsmanship of antique firearms. Nothing to do with any industry.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

This is why states need to be able to raise their own taxes.

[edit: "But the age pension should not be regarded as an entitlement for all, but rather a "welfare payment for those who do not have the ability to save enough to fund their own retirement", Mr Morrison said." TBH he kind of has a point. The aged pension hasn't been enough to live comfortably for a long time (if it ever was)]

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Better than the 9-9-9 plan I guess.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They're also completely deluded. People might be willing to accept that kind of thing if it's building towards something else, like the neo-liberal reforms of the 80s, but this wasn't promising a new world and a new way of living, it was just 'yeah well we've gotta tighten our belts, y'know'.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Complacency about Christmas decorations on public buses is the reason we have school chaplains.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

"Ah, well thank you for that appropriate gesture, now we, the labor party, will get on with the normal business of debating passing legislation"

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Well she does make one good point but it's kind of buried.

quote:

Doctors can be as crazy, unwise, mistaken and misguided as anyone.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 2, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm so outraged I might vote for the ALP.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There's a thing on the Guardian blog about it.

quote:

The Greens have secured two amendments:

One will force multinational corporations with global revenue of $1bn or more to prepare “general purpose” financial statements. Currently they have to prepare documents called special purpose statements. This particular amendment was originally rejected by treasurer Scott Morrison when it was sent to the House of Representatives last week.

The second will end an exemption for private companies with revenue over $200m from having to disclose their tax affairs. The Greens say this will expose 281 large companies currently shielded from transparency.

The Greens will sell this as a victory for tax transparency. I predict Labor and others will not characterise today’s agreement in quite those terms.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

EXAKT Science posted:

Yeah, like, do you really want to Aus Greens to end up like the US Greens, i.e. a useless fringe party full of loons driven by ideological purity over practicality?

It's this kind of thinking that got us the Labor party.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If they'd estimated it correctly they would been called Labor shills and Abbott would have got the wrong estimates he wanted from someone else.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I saw more skinheads when I lived in New Zealand than I see here.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There goes whatever pathetic legacy the Rudd/Gillard government had left.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

freebooter posted:

Nothing in the Constitution but the High Court has ruled that we have an implied right to freedom of speech based on the norms of the countries our constitution is based on, which has always struck me as a hilarious Australian "she'll be right" attitude towards a fundamental human freedom.

http://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/4529/do-we-have-the-right-to-freedom-of-speech-in-austr.aspx

Although you'll find most Australians and most people in this thread agree with how things are, in fact a quote I specifically recall from an argument way back is "freedom of speech isn't all it's cracked up to be."

People in this thread aren't so different from the masses they claim to hate. The ability for the government to punish deviants is much, much, more important than any right. After all, if you don't rock the boat you won't need them anyway.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Time to start a start-up. Looking forward to trading while insolvent.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Isn't it just that they're desperate for cash, and can't afford to restrict production?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It adds crunch, which is vital.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-advertiser/20151209/281900182145566/TextView
"In Australia this means talking to decent people who happen to be Muslim as well as to "official" Muslims inclined to see "Islamophobia" in any criticism."

:lol:

He's not doing a very good job of convincing me he doesn't want some apocalyptic showdown between good and evil.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Even Newman wouldn't consider a fence a replacement for mental health services.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 9, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's well over ten times the GDP of Nauru. Could have lifted an entire nation out of poverty.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I bet if you looked hard enough you could find politicians investing in and profiting from it. A fun project for an investigative journalist.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Can you get vaccinated against chicken pox?

[EDIT: You can. Bloody spoiled kids these days they should have to suffer like I did.]

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I see him more as a kind of Sarah Palin figure. Traveling around giving boring speeches, making jokes that only make sense if you have a very specific world view, and raking in the cash.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

More Santorum than Trump.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Give the money to your mum or whatever if you're worried.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They're still going ahead with the halal-free BBQ though.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Seems inevitable. You don't want to be paying professors, or even lecturers, to do that crap if you don't have to.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I heard of someone doing a data mining project who paid a guy in India like one cent per photo to go through thousands of them tagging things. I mean I know it's efficient or whatever, but goddamn. Union needs to get onto it before we're all out of a job.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'd really better get onto starting that market research firm.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There are the novelties on Sportsbet. I won like $80 betting on the pope a few years ago.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Cross posting from USPol because

You have to admit Trump is very good at getting people who hate him to pay for his advertising.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Laserface posted:

In Tokyo, those 'all you can eat/drink for 2hrs' places wont let you in if you're australian. I dont blame them, because Im sure theres a reason, but it would be nice if my passport somehow identified me as 'not a racist' so that I could enjoy something.

I've been to those and I've never even been asked where I'm from.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

No roundeyes.

If Australians are banned from any of those places it's almost certainly because they're loud and they drink too much rather than because they're racist. There are about a million of them in Tokyo though so it shouldn't be hard to find one that will let you in.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 13, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Recoome posted:

holy poo poo, canberra is so tiny why do they need light rail. I was staying in Manuka and I'd walk to places like Civic and ANU because it's so flat and easy to walk.

I too enjoy walking an hour to work along the side of a freeway. Most people live further out than Manuka.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

While we're on light rail chat, they should have done it deep underground. I don't care if it costs ten billion, do it right the first time.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

We're moving underground one way or another, might as well get a head start.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

EXAKT Science posted:

I was just chatting with my coworkers about how racist Australia is compared to the US, and brought up the refugee camps. One of them literally said "at least they have a place to stay." :wtf::wtf::wtf:

You know the US has its own network of migrant detention centres, right?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

As if putting them up wasn't bad enough, now they're profiting from it.

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-14/minions-themed-bus-wins-sydney%27s-annual-christmas-decoration/7026126
"It's fantastic to see drivers going the extra mile by dressing up as Santa Claus or his helpers, to bring a smile to the faces of commuters and tourists," State Transit chief executive Peter Rowley said.

"Our customers love the initiative and the efforts of staff, with compliments flooding in."
Disgusting.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They should take the seats out for lent.

• Locked thread