Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Chafta will be here soon. What does this mean for you? Less pay.

quote:

In May 2014, China's consul general in Sydney, Li Huaxin, stressed the importance of relaxing visa requirements for Chinese workers. Then, in November of that year, Li Ruogu, the chairman and president of the Export-Import Bank of China, told Australia that its labour costs were too high and it needed more Chinese workers, urging a further opening of the labour market.

quote:

It is clear from global commercial examples that Chinese workers contracted for PRC economic activities abroad are usually paid their wages through accounts in China.

Alternatively, where restraints on this practice exist and they are paid locally in accordance with existing labour regulations, there have been many reported cases of workers being required to remit almost the entirety of their wages to China where state agencies or firms extracted their share and paid the remainder to workers' accounts.

If Chinese firms implement this model when they undertake projects in Australia, then whether or not the Australian Government declares that imported workers must be paid an award wage will be completely irrelevant, as all final accounting will be done by Chinese state organs or associated enterprises within China. As such, the cost of labour for such Chinese companies would be perhaps half of what labour costs would be to an Australian company.
Hoo-loving-ray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

*Just in case you don't know*

If you're a casual, you won't get sick pay or holiday pay, but you'll get 25% more pay to make up for this.

If you're permanent part time or permanent, you get sick leave and annual leave and long service leave.

If you're a contractor, chances are you're being hosed.

https://calculate.fairwork.gov.au/ this can help

Join your union. Don't join the Shoppies.

Know your award, and check you're being paid correctly.

Check your super, are they actually paying the right amount or paying it all?

ACTU helpline: 1300 486 466
Fair work Australia: 13 13 94

You need legal support in case poo poo happens at work. You get hurt, someone else gets hurt, you get accused of stealing, etc. You need legal advice. You can get free legal advice through your union by paying your membership fee. $200 a year is better than paying the $200+ an hour you would have to if you hire a lawyer. There is free legal support that can help, but might not be able to in your case.

http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/legal-aid-nsw-offices
https://legalaid.vic.gov.au/
http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/Pages/Home.aspx

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Well before abbott not so much, if you weren't a refugee or indigenous you got to enjoy being the second best country for human development

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

ewe2 posted:

Wouldn't the Russia-China oil pipeline offset this? And once the gas pipeline is up, I don't think Russia will be too worried.

edit: snickers and double dipped cherryripes ftw.

Pipeline isn't getting built because operating costs are more expensive than the current price of gas. So flag waving photo op and not much more at this point.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

WORK IS LOVE, WORK IS LIFE

brit remix
same, same but different

BCR fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 10, 2015

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Laserface posted:

If working full time in a 5 of 7 day roster, should penalty rates be applied to sundays?

Don't know. With rostered work unless its explicitly mentioned in your contract, you generally get 1.5X for so many hours then 2X after that.
actu helpline 1300 486 466
fairwork 13 13 94

I've had rostered work where if you're on saturday its the normal 1.5X an hour and sunday its the normal 2X an hour.

I've also worked on an award, where there was no penalty rates but they'd bumped up the hourly rate to make up for it.

BCR fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 24, 2015

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Laserface posted:

How is this noted in the award? I should be able to ask the employer what award I am on, and then look it up on fair work and it'll say "$XX an hour plus YY to compensate for no penalty rates" ?

1) Look at contract, if it doesn't mention what award you're going to have to ask your employer.
I don't like this part because it lets lovely bosses know that you know they're lovely. I like the element of surprise.
2)Ask your employer what award you're under.
3) You can then look up the award on the fairwork website and it'll tell you what the minimum you're meant to be paid, plus any compensation for no penalty rates. With some awards its buried in the details.
4) Quicker way is to ring fairwork or the actu. "hello I'm x, on y award being paid z an hour with no penalty rates is this correct?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It runs a lot deeper than just the fact their old ECA/contract was meant to have expired (following the Fair Work hearing we are now on the Industry Award), even the contract they were running wasn't being fulfilled to a tee. It actually had a provision for penalty rates on weekends, with the caveat being that it was only paid when the staff member didn't "request" a weekend shift. Except, upon being hired we were given a sheet which we were told to sign under the heading "Roster Requests" that they could use as evidence that we "requested" the shift. So, they could point to their contract and say they paid penalty rates while having a loophole to never in fact need to do so.

Good on ya for fighting the shitheads.

• Locked thread