Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Ground floor on this heezy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This whole mess started because Australia was occupied by a foreign power.

A few years of being the West Island of New Zealand wouldn't hurt

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I don't like Howard but he came across as caring about something, it might have been his idea of what Australia should be, or his legacy or something as trivial as what people thought about him. But this was the key difference between him and Abbott. Abbott didn't give a gently caress about the outcomes of any of his policies

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Put it this way: imagine Abbott's response to the Port Arthur massacre

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Unless you're allergic to nuance it's pretty easy to simultaneously think Howard was human garbage and acknowledge that Abbott was worse (or at least would have been had he not been destroyed by his own incompetence)

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I can't really agree because had he had a couple of extra senate seats we'd all be completely hosed following his government's first budget but guess this is all moot because that didn't happen and Turnbull will probably do the same thing anyway

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

The first chance Howard got he loving burnt down the entire structure of industrial relations in this country.

Yeah, I guess that's true. I don't have much interest in defending Howard or the conservative purgatory that infected every western nation in the early 00's so :shrug:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Actually I'm inclined to view Howard and Costello not investing any of the money from the mining boom/relative prosperity of that era into infrastructure and into developing new industries as one of the larger economic fuckups in Australian history

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Doctor Cave posted:

I like nerding out about the weather so I looked this up, so far this month Adelaide has had both it's lowest and highest December minimum on record :whoptc:

Yeah, climate change will mean this kind of thing will just happen more and more in places like Adelaide that have no natural barriers between the hot deserts of central Australia and the freezing winds circling Antarctica and are therefore already subject to comical amounts of variation. See also : Melbourne.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/dec/09/bitcoin-creator-satoshi-nakamoto-alleged-to-be-australian-academic?CMP=soc_567

quote:

The creator of the digital currency bitcoin, known only by the pseudonym Satoshi Nakamoto, is probably an Australian academic and entrepreneur, according to a new investigation.

Wired has alleged that Nakamoto’s real identity is Craig Steven Wright, a 45-year-old Australian it describes as a “climate-change denier, a serial entrepreneur ... and an eccentric.” Various attempts to prove Nakamoto’s identity in the past have proved unsuccessful.nn

Wired has linked Wright to bitcoin by several posts on his blog, starting with one published in August 2008 that mentioned his intention to release a “cryptocurrency paper”.

Another, published three months later, asked that readers used a PGP public key that has reportedly been linked to Nakamoto. A PGP public key is a unique string of characters that allows a user of that encryption software to receive encrypted messages.

In a now-deleted post dated 10 January 2009, Wright reportedly announced the launch of the beta of bitcoin “tomorrow”; Wired points out that Wright, living on Australia’s east coast, could have published the post after midnight his time on the night of 9 January, which would still have been before bitcoin’s launch at 3pm on 9 January in US time, when the currency officially launched.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/townsville-home-vandalised-over-arabic-welcome-sig/2870192/#/0

quote:

A TOWNSVILLE family has been left devastated after their home was vandalised and even set alight, causing an estimated $50,000 in damage.

The family -- a Christian family -- believes their home was targeted because there is an Arabic sign over their front door.

The sign, installed by the home's previous owners in the 1980s, wishes visitors a peaceful welcome.

Shani Boag and her mother have lived in the house for a decade.

She writes on Facebook that she interrupted the attack on her home before the fire could consume the house.

The marauders used spraypaint to scrawl offensive slogans about Allah, accusations that they are hiding terrorists and violent threats.

Ms Boag said that beyond the cost of the physical damage, it also affects their time, health, security and trust.

"These "people" who broke into our house, who vandalised our walls, graffitied and broke our family pictures, set fire to a bedroom with assumably the intent to leave it to consume the entire home...

"They saw this sign over our front door. And they used it as an excuse to follow through with disgraceful actions.

"The saddest part is that their words strewn across our walls accuse not just Stuart and I of harbouring terrorists, but they accuse the equally respectable family before us of hiding them too.

"With no knowledge whatsoever they've drawn conclusions that we are somehow related to ISIS. Further to that, they've concluded that they are somehow justified to threaten us with death.

"Why? Because they have recognised Middle Eastern writing over our front door.

"The irony? The text is simply wishing the reader a peaceful welcome.

"How socially inadequate must you be to deface and set fire to any home, let alone one wishing you peace... At Christmas..."

Queensland Police have confirmed to Australian Regional Media the attack occurred between December 1 and December 7 on Jonquil Crescent in Annandale.

It caused "significant damage" to the home, including the spraypainting and scorching of the carpet.

Police are investigating.

A press conference will be held by Queensland Police later today.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Recoome posted:

NSW, QLD, and WA confirmed as the Axis of Evil

There are racist hicks everywhere but to be honest I wonder if the North-East (QLD/NSW) didn't exist or was a separate country if half of Australia's bad post-1996 policies would have happened. The pacific solution, stop the boats, Pauline Hanson, Clive Palmer, Howard refusing to apologise for the stolen generations, Labor Right, etc can all pretty much be blamed on the North-Eastern mentality. Hell, I saw a survey recently that said that Muslims in Sydney experienced racism at 3 times the national average.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
http://www.couriermail.com.au/trave...e1bf-1449918255

quote:

Backpacker barred from renting room by landlord who brands Aussies ‘drunk and racist’

AN AUSTRALIAN woman was shocked when told she couldn’t rent a flat in Edinburgh because people from Down Under were “drunks and racists”.

Laura Gratton, 24, had recently moved to Scotland and applied to an ad for a $800-a-month room in the city centre.

But she was horrified when the landlord instantly rejected her request, branding Australia the most “racist nation” in the world.

The message read: “It is well known in Europe that Australians are racist. In fact around the world your people are famous for this.

“Just as France is famous for wine and cheese. Australia is famous for its drunks and racists. I’m sorry I need to reject this request.”

The Melbourne backpacker protested, pointing out that the landlord’s statement was actually racist.

She wrote: “You obviously are quite racist putting such labels and speculations on a whole race without knowing the individual.

“The majority of my closest friends are from across the globe so would hate to think I’m racist.

“So thank you for rejecting this email, I don’t think we would get along at all. And I suggest you actually visit Australia and realise how multicultural we are.”

The landlord sent her a link to a news item about racism in Australia.

He wrote: “Hi, I’m not judging a whole race. I don’t want to take the risk.

“It is fact Australia is the most racist nation, your people are so open about it as well.

“This is what you Australians are known for in Europe. I think we would still get along by the way.

“Anyway, good luck.”

Miss Gratton said afterwards: “When I first received the response I thought it was just a joke but then I realised that he was being serious.

“’I was angry and frustrated that someone could think like this and say it to me just because of where I was from.

“Australia is a multicultural and very accepting country.

“There are race issues like any other country — but the actions of a few shouldn’t be used to judge anyone from that country.

“This was my first encounter of such strong negative and offensive stereotyping on my travels.

“I have heard the odd joke about drinking to do with Australians or Irish people but it has only ever been jokes among friends, never anything intended to hurt like this.”

A spokesman for spareroom.co.uk, who advertised the room, said: “If we’d spotted anything like this in someone’s ad we’d have removed it instantly.

“Dismissing a whole nation as racist is, frankly, ridiculous.

“There are clear laws about discrimination when it comes to renting rooms but it’s not just about what is and isn’t legal — it’s about treating people as you’d want them to treat you.”

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
If you tweeted that at J.K. Rowling she'd probably own that dude with a snappy one-liner.

Almost worth it, but these guys are like that episode of The Simpsons where advertising comes to life and goes on a rampage and the best thing to do is not give them any attention.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/graffiti-vandals-could-face-jail-for-illshaped-swastika-at-midland-gate-shops-20151215-gloas3.html

quote:

Graffiti vandals could face jail for ill-shaped swastika at Midland Gate shops

Graffiti vandals could reportedly face up to 14 years in jail after a pair of ill-shaped swastikas and white supremacy slogans appeared in the carpark of Midland Gate Shopping Centre.

A local resident who found and photographed the graffiti on Monday said he was concerned as it did not appear to be a case of children misbehaving.

"They don't know their swastikas, that's for sure," the resident said of the roughly spray-painted shapes.

"But I don't think it's just kids up to no good. The slogans that were painted with them saying 'white lives matter' seem a bit more adult than that.

"There are people in the community who would understandably be offended by this and maybe even a little fearful."

The Midland Reporter, which first covered the story, reported that local police were seeking assistance to find the perpetrators.

More "white lives matter" slogans were found on the Great Eastern Highway at Woodbridge, nearly two kilometres away. Both lots of graffiti have since been cleared by the City of Swan.

"These types of offences will not be tolerated and come with a penalty of up to 14 years' jail," Midland Senior Sergeant Craig Davis was reported to have said.

"This is racism and I ask anyone with any knowledge of who is doing this to contact me immediately."

According to the Midland Reporter, stickers were placed in the carpark of Midland Gate two years ago, inviting residents to engage in a Blood and Honour forum on white power.

Midland Gate said it understood the graffiti had happened on Sunday night or early Monday morning, confirmed it had been removed and that this type of vandalism had not previously been a problem.

Sen Sgt. Davis said there was no CCTV in the areas where the recent incidents had occurred.

:lol:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

help

11 am and it's already 37c

Already 40 here :eyepop:

This month Adelaide has already had the coldest December night on record (7C), hottest December minimum on record (30C), and if today's forecast is accurate we'll have the hottest December max on record too (44C).

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I remember there being frost everywhere on that 7 degree night (nights in the Adelaide hills are slightly colder than where they take the measurements) and then it was 41 the same week, which was a bit jarring. I have faint childhood memories of the weather being normal, but my brain has classified them with things from the same era, like Commander Keen and those Nike shoes with the pump button on the tongue.

Mr Chips posted:

Or Perth.

Perth summers are actually hotter than Adel/Melb on average.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
The listing isn't up any more, does anyone know if someone paid 90K for that weed hat?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Can anyone explain to me the controversy about lyme disease in Australia?

It doesn't officially exist here in the medical literature but a whole lot of people have apparently contracted an infectious disease with borderline identical symptoms. When I was doing honours in microbio my supervisor implied that there's basically an unspoken widespread belief in microbiology (maybe not in medicine because it's way more conservative) that the Borrelia burgdorferi bacteria that cause Lyme disease do exist in Australia, or a very closely related species does.There's not really much published to say this though.

There's also an unrelated controversy about whether or not it causes a long-term illness called "chronic Lyme disease" that has similar symptoms to fibromyalgia. Thus far there's not that much reliable evidence that Lyme disease actually causes these symptoms in the long term. Borrelia burgdorferi spirochetes stay in the body long after infection so some people think that this causes the possibly-existent chronic illness. Anyway, long-term antibiotic treatment would clear them from the body, but that's fairly dangerous so there's a controversy about that too.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Didn't it snow in Tasmania and Victoria a couple of days ago?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

ewe2 posted:

Ahahaha merry xmas to you too. *random Islam promotion with a side of climate change and inane mollifying slogans*

Say happy holidays instead, that really riles them up

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Ha... the search function actually works and I found this ancient thread. Click here for :siren:The Grid:siren:

Goes for several pages, is amazing.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Anidav posted:

Auspol was once an eternal battleground with Count Chocula and IWC kings of the battleground.

Does anyone have a link to that YouTube video that Webdog made of Count Chocula and IWC as Marvin the Martian and Daffy Duck?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Thanks! This owns. The auspol of 2012/13 was so amazingly bad but it was occasionally quite funny.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Graic Gabtar posted:

Unfortunately yes.

2016 a profound letdown thus far.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine