Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Some eco chamber this is, can't even fart out some effortpost diarrhea 12 times a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

fairfax does a multimedia extravaganza, it would be most unlike toned abs to take it sitting down.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

i'm so glad it's malcolm turnbull and not noted climate denialist and coal fetishist toned abs talking for australia in paris

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

First dog sucks

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Smugglers are well known for their honesty.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Centrelink should be unpleasant, like getting a colonoscopy, but most of the time it isn't.

I only had to go there once, when i was at uni to get youth allowance. Was pretty easy.

I guess if you are autistic or otherwise have difficulties interacting with other humans then it could be difficult, but then so will everything else in your life and its unlikely a govt department will ever resourced to make your life easy.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

You say that like it's easy to live on the pittance centrelink provides.

Nevermind the fact that it should not in any way be unpleasant or difficult for students to receive Youth Allowance, Austudy or Abstudy, nor should those students have any kind of idiotic Tory shame and judgment, for leaning when they should be working, heaped on them for claiming the payments - with most of that coming from shitlords, coasting their way through on fees paid up front and in full by mum and dad's money, hopefully all the way along to the wall they'll be put against one day.

Well did you notice that in my post I'm talking about the experience of interacting with centrelink staff and not any ideological debate

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Fix the revenue problem by taking back the youth allowance money $20-30 at a time. Genius

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Queenslanders are dumb
Hurf durf let's join Katters Australia party

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The federal national party has a formal coalition arrangement which WA doesn't, so Brendan Grylls could threaten to support Labor and give them government in the hung parliament. He had all of the leverage. Also, WA actually had royalty income at that point. The federal government doesn't get minerals royalties so it would just be ringfencing some other source of funds, which everyone hates.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

Yeah I've spoken to a few public servants who describe some of the huge white elephants being built out in the regions, buildings that are brand new that go unused because the community has little need for them.

Who would have thought that taking money out of consolidated revenue where it is allocated through the normal budget process according to need, and giving it to projects without regard to merit simply because it's a regional project is a bad idea??

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Frogmanv2 posted:

Which has been thoroughly rorted by the Libs. RforR is supposed to be for stuff above and beyond normal government spending on its citizens. Now, poo poo that should come out of general revenue like hospitals and parks gets paid for by RforR, and its trumpeted as a great bonus for the recipient.

Not too smart are you

*takes a huge slice of the pie*

*Is confused when his share of the remaining pie ends up being less*

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Yeah nah i already know from this very thread the nationals are dying because country people in their hearts want to vote for the greens

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

How dare politicians spend taxpayers money on offices and flights to Canberra. Such decadence.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Pickled Tink posted:

Time for yet another edition of First Dog on the Moon!

first dog sucks

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Australia doesn't have a right to free speech for individuals, it has a freedom of political communication to the extent necessary for the constitutionally prescribed form of government to operate.

So if the protest event involved eligible voters, political parties or political issues it absolutely would be political communication.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Following Coleman v Power an insult like you are all corrupt loving pigs spoken to a police officer is a valid political communication

I heartily recommend all leftists to try it

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

the hdi is not heavily weighed against 'has offshore gulags y/n' then

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

cricket is a really good game and that dude is lucky to have escaped a lynch mob for loving up the pitch

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

gough whitlam is already dead there are no good people in the ALP

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Someone post first dog i feel empty without all those words

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

no u

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Pickled Tink posted:

First Dog, but only because it was specifically requested:

This owns

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Nice microagression bro, some kids have nut allergies.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

JWH is just a conventional regressive shitlord in the Menzies mould who in terms of social policy lived with his mum well into his 30s and wanted to spray the whole country with formaldehyde, and economically was an orthodox neoliberal. I think he even described himself as such, he put forward conservative social policies as a nice warm familiar blanket for the voters while pressing forward with his real agenda in the form of tory economic policies. JWH is the master of reading which way the wedge was going and positioning himself on the right side of it.

Tony Abbott is the exact opposite. His real agenda is born of his idiosyncratic yet devout Catholicism and economically he was of the BA Santamaria, DLP ilk. He is a faithful crusader and a political brawler who cannot countenance the idea that what he believes might be in any way wrong even in the face of opinion polling.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Actually I'm inclined to view Howard and Costello not investing any of the money from the mining boom/relative prosperity of that era into infrastructure and into developing new industries as one of the larger economic fuckups in Australian history

when you say infrastructure what you mean is civil construction right

well from one point of view that is the absolute worst time because you are competing for the same pool of tradesmen, engineers, etc that are building the mines

you will get poo poo value for money because everything is overpriced due to demand outstripping supply

government investment should be countercyclical, the correct thing to do is what Rudd actually did, waited for the slowdown and then launched his Nation Building and Jobs Building the Education Revolution Pink Batts This is Communism plan that gave every house a safety hazard and every school a covered assembly area or whatever the gently caress it was

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

George Pell got called back to the Vatican because he's saved the church millions of dollars.

He got victims in Victoria to settle for $50,000 at a time when US courts were awarding payouts in the seven figure range.

He was a close ally of Benedict and the fact the new Pope has, far from throwing him under the bus, has brought him in to fix the books, says he's far too useful to ever face any kind of punishment.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The subjective mental state of the person committing the act doesn't change the objective characterisation of their actions as terrorism hth

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Wheezle posted:

Not feeling it. You have to really believe you're the smartest person in the thread.

hi

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

hes not wrong though

its like being anti-cancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

My sisters uncles mums ex bf's best mate was once in (place where thing happened).

I'm an idiot who can only contextualise bad things via a personal connection.

• Locked thread