Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Labor are supporting a move to scrap the student startup payment for students on youth allowance and austudy. Instead, students will be forced to go into even more HECS-HELP debt, just so they can afford clothing, electricity, and textbooks.

Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Serrath posted:

Isn't the start-up paying the twice yearly CL payments of approximately $1200 for people studying full time to help pay for books/incidental expenses related to your education? I'm on Aus-study now and every February and August there's a large bonus paid. It's always helped because it always seemed to coincide with some large expense that popped up.

Are Labor proposing to put anything in its place or are they talking about just scrapping it outright? If Labor supports it, whats the soonest this change in policy could take effect?

**edit** here it is: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/student-start-up-scholarship

**edit 2** Centrelink has posted an article about the budget proposal to remove it: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/corporate/publications-and-resources/budget/1415/measures/young-people-and-students/17-000618

Except centrelink says it's been removed as of 1 January 2015... I'm sure I got the scholarship through 2015, does that mean that they just extended me a loan or has this not passed yet so the information that it will not be part of 2015 payments not up to date?

It was $1025/semester (at least for me on youth allowance it was). It's probably a typo/old page (lol at LNP hubris) TBH since this cut has been on the cards since the first budget. So they probably want to start it as of semester 1, 2016. I'm also interested to see if they let students borrow more than $2000/y for it.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Amethyst posted:

It's also wishful thinking on his part. Anyone who believes that a form of public income for the aged unemployed isn't going to be a necessity in the face of increasing automation and global consolidation is blind.

Yeah, I can't imagine that many people are going to have enough super to completely live on after retirement, especially with an ever increasing life expectancy. It seems pretty obvious to me that the aged pension should be a livable payment for those who would otherwise struggle, seeing as it would be economically very silly to have a huge portion of the population being unable to buy anything.

hooman posted:

RIP me, I am undone.

loving kill me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

The first chance Howard got he loving burnt down the entire structure of industrial relations in this country.

And sold everything that wasn't bolted down. Telstra alone could have brought in BILLIONS of dollars of revenue (not to mention drastically lowering the cost of constructing the NBN), but nope, we need tax cuts for the upper-middle classes!

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

If these latest terror arrests lead to actual charges, I'll eat my hat.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Charges laid. Joke's on you, I don't have a hat :D

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Serrath posted:

There is no set of circumstances that could take place that would result in Trump being elected.

In spite of his poll lead, there is a very remote chance that he could even secure the Republican nomination. His support is highest among the republican contenders but is nowhere close to a majority and when the field starts getting picked off and people drop out, the "not-trump" votes will coalesce around one candidate whose votes will significantly exceed Trump's.

Even if it doesn't, the Republican party is already talking about political dealings they can put into place at the time of the convention to ensure that, even with the remote possibility that he attends the convention with a majority of votes, he can still be denied the nomination.

Jeb Bush v Bernie Sanders is my prediction

Sanders will win.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sanders will never ever ever be president of the United States

Don't stomp on my dreams :(

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

My Little Tony

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Laserface posted:

Monis was cool and good because two white people died.

What this thread actually believes.

Yes this is clearly what we have said regarding this issue.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

open24hours posted:

Speaking of crocodile tears, is it OK to be cynical about the government's attempts to address domestic violence without reforming the welfare system?

Absolutely. A lot of domestic violence involves financial abuse. The welfare system doesn't allow for financial independence, so it's really easy to get into a situation where you literally can't afford to leave (let alone the threat of retribution once you do).

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

chyaroh posted:

Why not? It's simply the age the law has set as the minimum age. It just so happens that it aligns with the "age of majority" or whatever term you want to use for 18. In Tasmania, the minimum age for supply was 16 up until 1997. So if they've changed it once there's nothing to say they can do it again.

The issue, if any, might be if a tobacco company tried to argue it as a restraint on trade. I've no idea how that might go, particularly with the FTA we've just had.

Arguably the ISDS provisions only apply to the Federal Govt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Turntbull.

• Locked thread