Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Unorthodox right-hander?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

What kind of ex PM buys a second hand fridge???

One still sitting on a massive mortgage maybe.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

EXAKT Science posted:

Looks an awful lot like water.

I don't think you will get any comment from them in relation to on-water matters.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Hitler was a decent painter too.

Not really.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Starshark posted:

No! gently caress you! Die in a fire.

(sorry, I'll be playing the part of Amethyst while he serves out his probation)

Interesting. Oh well, if that's the new standard on wishing others death in auspol then so be it.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

The biggest problem (after siting) is cost.

Are any state governments queuing up to build dams?

It could be some weird Franklin Dam full circle if the federal government was trying to make it happen.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Just hit 40 here. Most apt thread title ever.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I remember there being frost everywhere on that 7 degree night (nights in the Adelaide hills are slightly colder than where they take the measurements) and then it was 41 the same week, which was a bit jarring. I have faint childhood memories of the weather being normal, but my brain has classified them with things from the same era, like Commander Keen and those Nike shoes with the pump button on the tongue.

It used to snow every couple of years at the family farm. I have memories of that as being normal.

About thirty years ago it just stopped.

Even if you don't believe in global warming you would have to concede that building your society on finite resources is pretty loving stupid. Should be an open and shut case really. :suicide:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Gorilla Salad posted:

Apparently, for shorter distances - like 5km - walking is just as good for you health as running and a lot less stress on your joints.

Twenty minutes going up and down a steep hill is as good as walking for an hour.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Laserface posted:

Im a middle class white male, I have literally no reason to run. I just lift weights.

Never skip leg day.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Magog posted:

It's almost like the people opposed to cannabis use are out of touch.

I'm not opposed to it - I just wont get into it.

So am I semi out of touch?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cleretic posted:

Nah, you're just uncool.

I think you get me wrong. I've loved cannabis in the past - we just don't get along.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Magog posted:

Graic, this is probably the only time you've taken a reasonable stance, s'cool.

I'll be honest with auspol for one of the first times ever.

I'm actually a manic depressive/bipolar.

I take more pills per day than most people can fit in their hand.

I used to do lots of cannabis in the day and I I nearly loving lost my mind. So I worry loving heaps that my kids don't wont to be "uncool".

Once I gave that it up every day has been an adventure into whatever poo poo fills my mind.

There's some 1am smashed drunk truth talk for you.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ewe2 posted:

Thanks for the honesty: the trouble with cannabis is that it affects people in wildly different ways especially if they've got existing mental issues. I don't believe it causes those issues, but it certainly isn't helpful. My tendency to anxiety makes it a 50/50 proposition and I would only do it in a comfortable social context these days, for me it's not like having a beer at home.

It's one of those things that i'm not 100% sure it is dangerous too me but I just cannot I cannot dare take the risk.

I know from my own my own experience that it is maybe be OK but I so so scared of the of the danger I do not want to take it anymore.

I used to some weird poo poo that was beyond alcohol.

One of my daughters is so like like my me. I l worry for a future she has not had. Just another reason to loving hate everything.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Fark! Unless that bear is full of formula $70 is loving ridiculous.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

dr_rat posted:

So thats should help a bit to rebuild the community hopefully.

Prefer they gave 32k to people who have never had a home.

To everyone else that's what insurance is for. Yes, its is a regret purchase but gently caress you if you don't have it.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

norp posted:

Even the coalition voters don't want to kill penalty rates. What the hell do these clowns think they are doing?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/coalition-voters-reject-cut-in-sunday-penalty-rates-20151224-gluncn.html

"Dead, buried and cremated"

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

http://m.smh.com.au/national/pancake-parlour-employees-win-penalty-rates-for-late-nights-weekends-20150921-gjrwmn.html

This dude is me (tldr; work for Pancake Parlour, they were on an old WorkChoices era contract with no penalty rates and I took them to Fair Work to force them to update it across the whole franchise). The article and the quote make it seem like they rolled over a lot easier than they did, they challenged it at every step and it was a lot of work. It will be really disappointing if this goes through and we lose what we worked for.

Well done. Pancake Parlour is poo poo because of the jacked up prices. Knowing they were screwing staff has doubled my incentive not to go there. I'm hoping my personal stand doesn't impact the number of employees though.

Aren't there supposed to be rallies protesting against threats to penalty rates some time soon?

gently caress people wanting to abolish penalty rates. Yeah, wage costs are higher at times but every employer is in the same boat. Put in place a modest surcharge or something.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

Having witnessed Indooroopilly shops on Boxing Day any business who wasn't open and paying their staff in huge sacks of gold was missing out on mad profits.

Agree. Reality though is that it's not sacks of gold and a fair number of them would probably rather be at home.

e: re-read this and it's not clear. I was referring to people who work on Boxing Day.

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 29, 2015

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

EXAKT Science posted:

He isn't Tony Abbott.

You got it.

Welcome to personality politics.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

RIP Australia 18 dicketity doo - 1998

Why 1998?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Solemn Sloth posted:

anidav was born

Probably fair enough that Australia died that day then.

For fucks sake. Shoot that person please.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

@BriggsJamie says he did not meet the obligations of the Ministerial Code of Conduct. "Offence was taken" by the female public servant.

Hard to see that happening under Abbott.

If it was only "offence" then it would be an interesting call seeing anyone going too hard on this as it would come across as curiosity over concern.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

Think about how hard you need to gently caress up to step away from the front bench. Choppergate got Abbott booted from power because it's apparently OK to do.

Well you would hope that a higher standard is now being applied.

The Abbott government was a train wreck that people were watching with morbid curiosity. There's only so much people can take though. Ostentatious chopper displays finally trumped onion chomping and that was thankfully it. gently caress knows home many things like this were deep sixed under Abbott and at least this one made it to the light.

However, if it was more than "offence" then due process should take place. If guilty throw the arsehole to the wolves basically. Up to the public servant I guess.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

dr_rat posted:

bet Ian Macfarlane kicking himself for his attempted flip to the nats now. Probably would of been a decent chance of snatching up one of the now free ministries if he's stayed.

Abbott could probably have a crack I reckon.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure the only ministry that Turbull would seriously consider putting Abbott in is 'Minister for not saying stupid poo poo to the media', which unfortunately for Abbott doesn't appear to be either of the Ministries available.

Maybe in the next cabinet reshuffle.

Maybe Minister for Agriculture so he could have a legitimate reason for hoeing into every loving raw vegetable on the planet.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

adamantium|wang posted:

Abetz jumped on the radio this morning to say that Turnbull's new ministry should include Abbott.

:cawg:

This does not surprise me one little bit. If he or his supporters think Abbott could pull a Rudd like resurrection that would be hilarious to watch.

Unfortunately Turnbull wouldn't trust Abbott with a burnt match let alone a ministry. Well I loving hope so anyway.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

Word on the street is that Briggs kissed some random lady on the neck in a bar and creeped her the gently caress out.

I think that happening is what Briggs would call, "Thursday". Maybe, "Friday" - not sure.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

The cynic in me thinks that the dumping of these clowns is in an attempt to be fire proof in the lead up to the next election hence the silly season timing.

I'm pretty sure that's not what you would regard as a cynical view.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ABC posted:

Trade union royal commission findings released: Cesar Melhem, Kathy Jackson referred for possible prosecution

The final report of the Royal Commission into Trade Union Governance and Corruption has been released.

The commission has referred former Health Services Union national secretary Kathy Jackson to authorities to consider whether she has committed criminal offences.

It said she had used union funds for her own purposes and may have committed a crime by obtaining $250,000 from an employer by false pretences.

Victorian Labor politician and former AWU Victorian secretary Cesar Melhem was also referred to authorities, with the commission saying he may have committed offences relating to a payment from Cleanevent and an agreement with Thiess John Holland.

Key points:

- Former Health Services Union national secretary Kathy Jackson referred to authorities

- AWU Victorian secretary Cesar Melhem referred to authorities in relation to actions favouring the interests of the union over its members

- The commission's report contains six volumes, one of which is confidential

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-30/trade-union-royal-commission-findings-released/7059348

Shock!

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

That looks so crappy you would swear it was 'shopped.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

You Am I posted:

So does it seem like the Liberals have quickly released the Royal Commission in Trade Unions results to hide Briggs and Brough departures from cabinet?

From what I have seen from that Royal Commission, gently caress all was found. Looks like they were going for the CFMEU and AWU, whilst ignoring the shithead Shoppies.

I have a feeling that outside of the Liberals and the business council, no one gives a poo poo about this Royal Commission or its results.

I give a poo poo insofar as the establishment of a Royal Commission has been reduced to a cheap (but expense) political stunt.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Doctor Spaceman posted:

TURC was always meant to hand down findings by the end of the year, so the did it at the last possible day because they are experienced, respected professionals and not me doing a uni assignment.

If they were any good they would have begged for an extension.

Based on the lame excuses I used to trot out the process should be a lay down misère - but I never had a lecturer with ministers to bury I guess.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

Well it is certainly drawing all the attention away from Mal Brough being an alleged criminal and Jamie Briggs being a drunken sexual predator.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-30/trade-union-royal-commission-turnbull-report/7060250
somewhere between $40 and 80 million dollars of taxpayer money AND sums in the millions from the unions involved. Makes the actual matters being investigated look pretty inconsequential. And :lol: at the LNP taking the moral high ground on corruption, or don't you recall Arthur Sinodinos AO.

Could anyone explain to me what this "grid" thing is?

Seems to be quite a theme here.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

It's an organic waste disposal system where you dig a different hole each time you poop in a grid pattern. You dig a grid big enough that the first lot has degraded by the time you get back to the start.

O...K...

And always attributed to Cartoon because he is a massive fan of the concept or posted photos of his own?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Ha... the search function actually works and I found this ancient thread. Click here for :siren:The Grid:siren:

Goes for several pages, is amazing.

Thanks for the link. Looks like I was right on both counts. Yes, it is at times an amazing discussion.

Oh well, each to their own I guess. Certainly not mainstream but the logic behind it makes some sense. Hard to see how it would scale though. Be nice if everyone has access to a forest to try this out if they were so inclined. I might run into trouble putting this system in place at the local park.

Also, was auspol once just an endless thread of poo poo posts and now just a monthly thread of poo poo posts?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

BlindSite posted:

I was told by a friend of mine who works at the ATO it wasn't unheard of a few years ago for the police to seek out the ATOs help in some instances where they couldn't get a warrant to search a premises. Pretty much they'd ask the ATO for help who'd send an official request for police presence at their "investigation" and the police would circumvent the law. I don't know if this is still the case because it was over ten years ago but yeah the ATO can pretty much do what they want.

Al Capone style.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

That's pretty amusing even though I don't know those people.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

wayne curr posted:

happy new years it's 2016 where's the new loving thread?
Oh wait
everyone's off having a life and won't read this until late in the morning :smith:

Can confirm - no life here.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

El Scotch posted:

Oi, is the World still there in 2016? Those of us still in 2015 want to know.

Unfortunately yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

gay picnic defence posted:

It'll be interesting to the the cabinet papers from the Abbott years

This without any sub-editing.

I'm not that interested in waiting for it again.

• Locked thread