Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Orkin Mang posted:

may death meet you all, in the final reckoning.

Generally how final reckonings work.

"SMH posted:

Massive increases to the GST that would raise up to $45 billion annually will be on the table when Malcolm Turnbull and state premiers meet on Friday, according to a leaked document obtained by Fairfax Media.

The Council of Australian Governments document, marked "for official use only" and titled "Reform of the Federation", reveals modelling prepared by the federal treasury at the request of the states in July, and will help frame the crunch tax meeting, which will be led by NSW Premier Mike Baird, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Mr Turnbull.

Eight options for tax reform – including six GST options and two Medicare Levy proposals – are canvassed in the paper, which sets out four previously unpublished tax options that have been costed by the federal Treasury, and four more that will be costed as the federal and state governments pursue tax reform.

Soon after becoming Prime Minister, Mr Turnbull said everything – including a consumption tax rise – was on the table as his government pursued tax reform.

The document confirms that a rise in the goods and services tax remains a live option and raises the prospect of a federal election in 2016 fought over the issue if the federal government adopts a plan to hike the GST and can strike a deal with the states, whose support will be needed for any increase...

Looks like Turnbull's still gunning for the GST. Article details the six different GST offerings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

In obviously completely unrelated news this person house was just raided by the AFP due to tax issues today:

"ABC posted:

Australian Federal Police have raided the home of a Sydney-based technology entrepreneur who has been identified as the suspected inventor of digital currency Bitcoin.

The raid was carried out this morning at the home of Dr Craig Steven Wright on a warrant issued by the Australian Taxation Office, the AFP said.

However, the police operation is not believed to be related to reports in two technology publications — Wired and Gizmodo — that this morning published claims based on leaked documents that provide some of the best evidence yet that Dr Wright was the co-creator of internet currency Bitcoin.

The ABC is unable to independently verify the authenticity of the documents.

Calls to companies run by Dr Wright have not been returned.

Also Abbott, able to piss off our neighbors even when not PM.

"ABC posted:

Former prime minister Tony Abbott has drawn criticism from regional neighbour Indonesia over his call for change within Islam.

Indonesia's ambassador, Nadjib Riphat Kesoema, has delivered his response to Mr Abbott's critique.

"This is a time when all nations must unite to defeat the scourge of terrorism," Mr Kesoema said.

"A rhetoric boasting of cultural and religious superiority over other cultures and religions is unhelpful to the cause and divisive."

The ambassador has also called for strong cooperation with Australia against terrorism.

"It is important for us including the multicultural societies of Australia and Indonesia to keep our focus on efforts to creating a long-term solution to the common challenges of violent extremism that we face," Mr Kesoema said.

"Violent extremism is the common challenges of all religions: Buddha, Christianity, Hindu, Islam and all faiths."

Mr Abbott used an interview on Sky News and a News Corp opinion column to argue for a "religious revolution".

His shitness will take a while to dissipate it seems.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 9, 2015

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

"I very diplomatically asked the Prime Minister and the Higher Education Minister questions which I thought would be useful for understanding the Palestinian attitudes to the peace process," Mr Pyne told the ABC.

"Other members of the dialogue were slightly more robust and could be accused of quizzing them.

Is this pol speech for 'don't blame me, it was those other two assholes I was with'?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

A Good Username posted:

NSW state government has found the best way to combat drug use - memes.

http://www.stonersloth.com.au/

I don't think they realize that most people think sloths are awesome.

Serioulsy how fun does it look like being a sloth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djiPLoisyBE

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Seems Wye river, separation creek and possible Lorne won't make it through the night, with all of them already evacuated and out of control bush fires running through their edges.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/victoria-fires-request-to-evacuate-lorne-20151225-gluy3p.html

Its all a bit poo poo really.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah only ever driven through Wye River, but it, and all the surrounding area seems nice. :(

On the bright side at least now a fires gone through there it will probably be a while to the next one, and so far no ones been confirmed to be injured.

Although apparently the CFA is still worried about Lorne, and some people have decided not to evacuate because I dunno they put little value on their lives or something. At least its on the beach so if the worst come they can just swim a bit out and should be okay.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

screaden posted:

There are a bunch of season long people who have been going for for a long long time who are all elderly now. I hope they got out in time. They were there for the floods in the 70s that took caravans out to sea as well.

Everywhere has been saying there has been no reported deaths or injuries so sounds like they should be fine. Probably just chilling at Apollo Bay at the moment.

also stumbled upon this at the ABC site:

quote:

@DanielAndrewsMP says grants of up to $32,000 available to those who have lost principal homes #vicfires

So thats should help a bit to rebuild the community hopefully.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Had a quick check of some of the Hong Kong papers about it but they don't seem to have any more information then the Australian ones.

Maybe he just made fun of her accent or something. I mean you can never rule out causal racisms.

Just trying to represent the Australian public overseas :(

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 29, 2015

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Recoome posted:

Eh, the "appropriateness" of behaviour is usually means sexual harrassment/unwanted advances, if it was just racism he probably wouldn't have resigned over it.

I would like to think casual racism would be considerer inappropriate behavior and a sackable offense, particularly when put towards a public servant of another country... but yeah, you're probably right.

Endman posted:

Hello D&D Auspol what's going down?

I'm in Perth atm, everything here is sponsored by a mining company of one shade or another.

Even the Perth Greens party branch?

Please don't tell me they sold out as well :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
bet Ian Macfarlane kicking himself for his attempted flip to the nats now. Probably would of been a decent chance of snatching up one of the now free ministries if he's stayed.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

Abbott could probably have a crack I reckon.

Pretty sure the only ministry that Turbull would seriously consider putting Abbott in is 'Minister for not saying stupid poo poo to the media', which unfortunately for Abbott doesn't appear to be either of the Ministries available.

Maybe in the next cabinet reshuffle.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

Oh it's time for the thread title to be relevant again.

:cry:

Get ready for:

Auspol January : gently caress, it's still hot!

:dance:

• Locked thread