Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Is everyone keeping up with fairfax's big multi-part writeup on what brought Abbott down? Some revealing stuff in there.

quote:

oe Hockey sat down with Tony Abbott in the prime minister's office in Parliament House on a Sunday just a few weeks before they lost power.
Hockey, flanked by Treasury officials, presented his leader with details of a plan for a sweeping reform of the tax system. They took Abbott on what they called a "deep dive" into the Treasury's modelling of a new tax system.
The GST rate would rise from 10 to 15 per cent. It would apply only to the existing tax base, not to fresh food, education or financial services.
By the time the change was fully phased in over two to four years, this would generate about $40 billion in extra revenue to pay for the other parts of the plan.
Of this, $10-15 billion would go to the states as extra revenue for their needs. The rest would be used to fund tax cuts and to pay compensation to people on welfare and low incomes.
The new income tax rates? Hockey wanted big cuts "to make it a significant incentive to work". The ultimate aim of Hockey's plan was summarised as 40: 20: 20. The top marginal tax rate would fall from 45 per cent to 40 per cent.
The maximum marginal rate paid by most taxpayers would fall from 34.5 per cent to 20 per cent. The company tax rate would fall from 30 per cent to 20.
The lowest paid would receive their tax cuts first. The rest would be phased in over years.

Yeah Joe, this would definitely have survived an election. You complete moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

katlington posted:

This is beyond hosed.

It's also wishful thinking on his part. Anyone who believes that a form of public income for the aged unemployed isn't going to be a necessity in the face of increasing automation and global consolidation is blind.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

RIP me, I am undone.

loving kill me.

This isn't real. Someone wrote this as satire. Greg Hunt is a Chaser sleeper agent.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

You're doing the Lords work Tink.

The old testament god's work. First dog is a plague.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ian McFarlene just defected to the Nationals. Splits.

http://www.afr.com/news/politics/ian-macfarlane-defects-to-nationals-in-shock-for-malcolm-turnbull-20151202-gle3bm

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Not sure why the Nats would offer him a leadership position. Dude has the charisma of a brick.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

AG-GAG has opposition support and will pass. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-03/ag-gag-bill-surveillance-devices-sa-parliament/6994516

loving load of rear end. I don't really have anything interesting to say about it i'm just pissed off

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Brands kowtowing to random customers on twitter is one of the defining features of the ugly post modernity we live in.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Twirl is the best bar. Take the best bit of a bar - chocolate, and vary the texture. Genius.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

All your opinions are wrong, the best chocolate bar is the Turkish Delight.

You're insane. You can get better turkish delight from most kebab shops.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

This image shall live forever.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Cross posting from USPol because

President Trump is going to be a drat nightmare

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

^^ don't worry, we're also a target country for economic refugees who want to leave America because they think it will go to hell in a handbasket every US election and are used to seeing it.

Thanks for the random racist cartoon

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Freudian Slip posted:

How the gently caress does this poo poo fly in a National newspaper in the year 2015? :psyduck:

Oh that was published in a newspaper? Goddamn.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Jeb Bush getting destroyed is cool, at least

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

A person runs for a party but you vote for a person not a party. MacFarlane got dumped from a cushy spot in his party so wanted to switch to their symbiotic parasite party because that would get him a cushy job back. His party were pissed but voted that he could leave, once he left the other party could decide if they wanted him and told him to gtfo. So he's burned a *lot* of bridges for nothing because he thought he was smart.

So, he's independent now?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Oh shut the gently caress up you dick head.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Uh, a guy may have entered a cafe with a shotgun and held hostages for an entire day, culminating in the death of two people, but need I remind you that only two people died?

:smug:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

How dare an ABC journalist use such inflammatory language like "unleash hell", when in fact only a trifling two people were shot to death. They should be guillotined IMO

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Lid posted:

The Australian released a statement to Crikey saying it stood by the cartoon, which it said ridiculed climate change activists, not Indian people, which their readers would have understood.

“We stand by this cartoon and believe it is a strong example of Bill Leak and The Australian’s exercise of its commitment to freedom of speech. The cartoon does not intend to ridicule Indians but the climate change activists who would send poor people solar panels rather than give them something they need – cheap power, aid and a hand up,” the statement said.

“This has been a long-running theme throughout the Paris conference.

“Those following the debates in and around the Paris conference run in our pages would have realised the target of the cartoon was not Indians. It was quite the opposite. Our readers would have – and, in fact, have – understood this.”

Yeah because the leftists who support renewables are the reason why food aid to the third world is inadequate

*sweeps Joe Hockey's 70% foreign aid cuts under the rug*

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

I thought that Monis shot one (which prompted the raid) and the po-po shot the other (and Monis)?

Yeah this much of an outpouring of grief over the death toll of the average rural road accident is a bit over the top.

SHUT THE gently caress UP

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

A day long hostage situation is not equivalent to road toll deaths you dishonest, equivocating assholes

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

Wait, so all it takes is length of time people are in trouble before the death toll counts? Well I'd like you to meet domestic violence because people suffer a lot longer under that and it kills way more than Monis ever did.

People probably won't give a poo poo about crocodile tears when there are obvious analogues that get ignored for the sake of agenda. hth

If all you can see in this situation compared to the road toll is "the length of time it took" you are either stupid, or posturing as a rational, above it all Thinker with a capital T.

It is reasonable TO SOME EXTENT to characterize fear of radical Islam as overblown panic. But to write it off completely, like you are doing, is completely absurd.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

I think the ironicat might be over "tremendous smug dickheads who not only don't know when to pick your battles but take the stupidest battle possible."

The deaths in sydney were a tragedy, Monis was a tremendous rear end in a top hat, gently caress that guy. The cynical beat up by the media which has loomed over this whole affair is loving disgusting. The exploitation of this event for capital by various groups is also disgusting. It is possible to hold all of these beliefs at once.

You can be critical of the media being shitlords about this without somehow tarnishing the reality of what happened.

As an actual point of equivalency how many memorials were there to the Hectorville siege?

There have been some cynical exploitations of the event. That ABC article is not one of them. Further, your sweeping equivalency that this event is just like the road toll goes way beyond accusations of media cynicism, and I'd go as far as saying it's equally cynical in itself.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

Do you think "unleash hell" is a fair characterisation of what happened?

I would describe two deaths as a tragedy. Be they on the road, in domestic violence or in any other circumstance. Do you think visibility actually impacts how serious the loss is?

Why do we have a road toll (cost that must be paid) but not a terrorism toll.

I think this is a tragedy but also an inevitable result of policies and culture that alienate, isolate and provide no support for the mentally ill. Just like I see domestic violence deaths as a result of policies and culture that oppresses women.

Wow, I'm glad we have Reasonable, Smart men like you around to decide when phrases like "unleash hell" are chuckle worthy offences from idiots and when "tragedy" should be applied. This is a worthwhile discussion and definitely not a circlejerk between self important dweebs.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Neither of them by Monis.

I also want to point this post out. He posed this lie, despite the article which he is discussing explicitly saying that Monis Killed one hostage by making him kneel and shooting him in the back, which was the trigger for the police to go in in the first place.

It's almost as if the entire purpose of this dicussion is to reinforce your world view, rather than any genuine inquiry.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Lid posted:

Monis is a telltale case of the idea that mental illness is not a be all and end all of moral culpability, along with Khaled Sharrouf (and internationally people like Anders Breivik).

We can easily prove they were ill, Sharrouf even easier than Monis as he was a diagnosed delusional schizophrenic, but I'll be damned before I say that mental illness would be a compelling reason to say they weren't morally culpable for their actions.

There's a line between understanding of issues, and absolution of people purely on issues where "if issue exists, culpability does not exist". It's a line not to be crossed or confused because there are real people for whom that reason does, and should, exist where they were not morally culpable for their crimes from mental illness and they needn't be lumped in with psychopaths.

Agreed.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

quote:

Lindt Cafe manager Tori Johnson, lawyer Katrina Dawson and Monis all died during the 16-hour siege.

Monis forced Mr Johnson, 34, to kneel on the floor of the cafe before shooting him in the back of the head, which prompted officers to storm the cafe and end the siege.

Katrina Dawson, 38, was killed when she was struck by six fragments of a police bullet or bullets, which ricocheted from the cafe's marble walls into her body.

Police fired 22 rounds into the cafe, with at least 13 bullets or fragments hitting Monis in the head and body.

Uhh, I don't see why the media are making a big deal out of this? It's just the same thing as a standard rural car wreck.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

So you agree that Unleash Hell is a poor way to characterise a 12 hour siege where 50% of the people killed died by police bullets?

This whole loving stupid thing started because Starshark was critical of the language used, and then you leapt of your high dive board of loving stupidity into arguments that you assumed people were making.

Look at how fast you are backpedalling now that you're no longer stuffing arguments into people's mouths to rage against.

I don't agree at all. "Unleash hell" is a perfectly reasonable phrase to use for a guy entering a cafe with a shotgun and murdering an innocent man.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

You guys weren't just criticizing the language use. You literally, actually said this is equivalent to a road toll death, and the whole thing is part of your wider assertion that fear of radical Islam is basically mass hysteria. Don't act like this is simple semantics, especially while accusing me of backpedaling.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

This whole thing literally started because an idiot threw their toys out of the pram over a criticism of a word choice. That is literally all this was about before these two idiots decided that people were making points that they weren't.

Also I 100% agree with you regarding mental illness, it may explain why things happen but it certainly doesn't remove culpability.

Nope. You're re-characterising this argument to save face. Let me show you how this argument actually started:

hooman posted:

Yeah this much of an outpouring of grief over the death toll of the average rural road accident is a bit over the top.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

There is a lot of clear eyed assessment we need to do around radical islam, including identifying and undermining overblown media coverage. What it should not include is an absurd assertion that it isn't really a big deal and we should all chill

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I honestly don't remember if the deaths were entirely from the police shooting, or just mostly from the police shooting. Tragedy no matter what, but I think it's important to take into account.

Taking the Lindt hostage situation as just straight-up 'ISLAMIC TERRORISM ON AUSTRALIAN SOIL' is perhaps the worst thing you can do when talking about it; it devalues everything else in favor of overinflating the relevance of ISIS, which is both very minor (there's resonable cause to believe that Monis was basically an independent incident latching on to them) and exactly what they would want. Instead, maybe make note of other facts, like how Monis was a potential danger that the Islamic community tried to warn authorities about anyway, how their 'first dreadful step into Australia' amounted to one guy holding up a cafe and a low single-digit bodycount, and how most of those deaths weren't even on the terrorist.

jesus christ read the article

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

"you guys"

gently caress the hive mind has been discovered

You're such a dullard, all you ever do is post useless little inconsequential snipes from the sidelines. I don't have a clue what is actually in your head but I suspect it's not much.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

Yes, yes I do. Which is why when we gut domestic violence services and then say "it's possible to care about more than one thing at once" I don't think we care about domestic violence and I think it's crocodile tears.

Uh....you say "yes, yes I do" but then immediately say "if we care Islam then why domestic violence". Which means that actually, you didn't understand his point at all and are stubbornly continuing down the same line of argument.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

ahaha I wasted ironicat fml

I agree, gently caress your life, jump off a cliff imo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

It's a big deal for those who are affected by it, which is virtually no one. At least in this country.

Virtually no one is affected by radical islam, "at least in this country". Okay. Enjoy your political discussion thread.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Recoome posted:

This is such an outburst of faux outrage, it's amazing

Every loving rear end in a top hat who feels the impulse to post something like this needs to drink some draino. We're here to be outraged, and have political opinions. gently caress off.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

Are you making a point here? "Hey guys we really need to have a close look at Islam." *nods sternly*

We do need to have a look at radicalism, in general. I don't know if you consider this a controversial statement in the age of cronulla pride and the paris attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

Yes we need to be aware of the world around us. We need to prevent radicalisation in the same way as we need to prevent live wires lying across the street or tiles falling of roofs.

More absurd equivocation which means nothing. Radical islam is exactly the same thing as council regulations around electricity wiring, good job, smart guy.

• Locked thread