Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

quote:

A Sydney hotel supervisor has lost his job after making a sexist and offensive comment on the Facebook page of Fairfax Media columnist Clementine Ford.
The Meriton Group confirmed that Michael Nolan was no longer employed by the company, after he labelled Ford a "slut" when she spoke out publicly against misogyny and online harassment.
Ford, a weekly columnist for Daily Life, made a number of posts on her Facebook page on White Ribbon Day, which aims to prevent men's violence against women, in which she highlighted recent examples of online harassment she had received.

Ford included screenshots of a number of abusive messages that had been sent to her, including images Ford said were a "little violent in theme", and included unsolicited images of male genitalia. In one post, a man had suggested that Ford would "jibber less with a cock in [her] mouth".

In the comments on that post, Mr Nolan had responded on November 25 with the word: "Slut".
On his Facebook profile, Mr Nolan listed that he was a supervisor at Meriton Apartments, prompting Ford to tag the Meriton Group on Facebook and query whether they were aware that one of their employees was making such degrading comments.

She also took screenshots of a number of Mr Nolan's public Facebook posts, including racist and offensive jokes.
In a statement sent to Ford, Meriton Group said: "Meriton Group have now investigated the matter relating to the complaint made about Michael Nolan using inappropriate language on Facebook.
"Meriton Group does not condone this type of behaviour. Michael Nolan was removed from the Meriton site on Saturday 28th November pending an investigation, and as of 2:30pm today 30th November 2015, he no longer works for the Meriton Group."
Fairfax Media has contacted the Meriton Group and Mr Nolan for comment.

Ford originally said she highlighted Mr Nolan's comment because "these men don't get to just go around leaving these kinds of comments and attempting to degrade women just for the hell of it. Why should they get away with it? Why should there be no consequences at all for them?"
"There are basically no consequences for men who behave like this, so we have to start making consequences for them," she wrote.
After receiving a message from the Meriton Group confirming that Mr Nolan was no longer working for the company, Ford applauded the company's actions.
"Perhaps Michael will think twice next time before using his social media account to call a woman 'slut' when she speaks out against online misogyny. These men have rarely ever faced consequences for their actions, but that's starting to change," she said.
"To anyone who suggests I have caused a man to lose his job, I'd like to say this: No. He is responsible for his actions. He is responsible for the things he writes and the attitudes he holds."
A Facebook page, Support for Michael Nolan, has been created after it was revealed Mr Nolan had lost his job.
"This page was created in support of Michael Nolan who was fired of his job after calling a strong independent woman a 'slut'," the page says.
Earlier this year, Ford was besieged with threats of rape and violence after she spoke out about breakfast program Sunrise's attitude toward victims of nude photo hackings.
Sunrise's Facebook page had asked when women would get the message not to take nude photos, prompting Ford to share a semi nude photo of herself with "Hey #Sunrise get f***ed" written across her chest.
She shared the online responses from men who threatened her with physical and sexual violence, but in a stunning sequence of events, she was banned from Facebook for violating community standards.

A good day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Laserface posted:

I dont think he should be fired for something that has nothing to do with his job.

If he made the post from a company account, or was representing the company at the time, it makes sense.

I mean if you're ok with people getting fired for having lovely opinions y'all better lift your game.

If someone wants to associate their public and professional lives on social media then they waive any right not to have the two interfere with each other. I mean, if I posted my real name and employer on a big sign in my front yard and also wrote on it that I wished that minorities were thrown into a woodchipper then my employer has every right to publicly distance themselves from me.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, it doesn't seem like a particularly good compromise.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Letter my friend in North Sydney just got from dear leader.

e: spot the many jokes

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Cleretic posted:

We don't entirely know how the compromise went. Sure, it's not the compromise we'd want, it's probably not the compromise they wanted either. But it's the best they could get, and it's better than nothing.

I don't want them to slide to the right either, but I don't think this is that. I think this is just them trying to get lovely people to pass non-lovely legislation.

Having had more of a chance to read the information, I agree. I would like more info about the whole situation, though, to get a more rounded picture.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Clearly Bounty/CherryRipe are the superior chocolate bars.

:colbert:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

TheIllestVillain posted:

fruit does not belong in chocolate

In every other context I agree with you completely.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Sorry is there a problem with the suicide barriers I'm not aware of?

The ones on the Suspension Bridge in Northbridge are horrifically ugly and destroyed the aesthetics of a beautiful sandstone bridge.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/digital/lossmaking-guardian-australia-has-two-years-to-prove-worth/news-story/7a5b845540e3f71843b1beb32dc827c8 posted:

]Guardian Australia has just two years to prove itself commercially viable before a multi-million-­dollar loan is called in, as mounting losses push the business into negative equity.

The loss-making local digital operation of British newspaper The Guardian, which was set up with $1 of capital, is facing a 2018 deadline to repay multi-million-dollar borrowings as it burns cash at a fast rate.

Documents obtaine­d by The Australian reveal a horror story of decline since the website’s launch in May 2013.

Debts outstrip equity, with borrowings of $23.9 million, and cash on the balance sheet of just $3.2m in the 12 months ended June 30, down from $7.4m in the prior corresponding period.

Guardian Australia had negative equity of $19.9m, according to the latest financial accounts.

A statement to The Australian on behalf of Guardian Australia managing director Ian McClelland said the business was “on track with our five-year plan to build a financially sustainable business in Australia”.

The founding investment was made possible by Australian businessman Graeme Wood, creator of travel website Wotif.

Mr Wood does not hold any equity in the entity Guardian Australia and is said to have an arm’s length relationship after fin­ancing the launch with unsecured bor­rowings expected to mature no earlier than 2018.

Mr Wood has never disclosed the size of the loan, which is ­included in Guardian Media Group’s non-current external borrowings and interest of $10.7m.

While Mr Wood could roll the loan over at maturity, he pulled ­investment in The Global Mail, a not-for-profit news website, at the start of last year after investing ­between $15m and $20m.

Guardian Australia’s fiscal losses blew out to $14m, up from $6m in the prior period, despite a 64 per cent rise in sales to $6.2m.

Like other unprofitable free news websites including Huffington Post and BuzzFeed, Guardian Australia has become a casualty in the race for cheap digital traffic as vast audiences produce limited revenues because of ever decreasing digital advertising rates.

The comments are about as terrible as you'd expect.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

The Greens' proposed progressive superannuation contribution taxes would lower the amount of super tax that 75% of workers pay and also raise more revenue for the government than anything Morrison's proposed.

Yes, but you see the Greens aren't a sensible political party and just have protest positions and don't have any sensible economic policies so clearly this wouldn't work.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Sometimes I think that we in the NRL thread got off each with our mysterious benefactor's presents.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

oTHi posted:

RIP. In unrelated news, our office AC seems to be struggling. Normally it's *too* efficient and thus cold. :qq:

Our office is ridiculously designed so the air conditioning sensor is right near the windows that get sun all day, so that end is 30° since it bakes all day and the other end where I sit is freezing all day and I need to wear a jumper.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

EXAKT Science posted:

Liberals are the real racists

I believe the preferred term is "bleeding heart loony lefties" :colbert:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Recoome posted:

hey nerds i am just back from a 5km run. feels good to be fit

I just got back from a 30km jetski and it :feelsgood:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Magog posted:

It's almost like the people opposed to cannabis use are out of touch.

No.

It's the children who are wrong.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

OK, since I've only posted it in the chart thread...

OK, so for any lurkers or people who might be thinking of coming to Brisbane goon meet tonight, the movie (star wars) is at Brisbane City Myer Centre at 6:40pm and dinner will be at Vapiano at 9pm thereafter. They said when I called that they don't normally book tables for anything but huge groups so whoever gets there first just grab a table for everyone. 

Even if you don't care about Star Wars fell free to come to dinner and talk about other, less nerdy things. And if you aren't a fan of eating, feel free to come to the movie and then gently caress off afterwards!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I don't like the photo ID part of the law but the upped fines for going through red lights and crossings and the like are great. Hopefully they actually get applied at some point since the amount of cyclists I see going straight through those is ridiculous.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

It doesn't stop drivers from doing it at all and sure as poo poo doesn't get enforced there. It's about making life difficult for cyclists and not for any safety purpose.

That doesn't seem to parse for me, can you please explain your post? I'm reasonably certain I've observed drivers being pulled over for going through red lights and the like, and although it's not a perfect system it's hard not to argue it's a safety feature. Why shouldn't cyclists be required to obey road rules, and how is this attempting to make their lives difficult (ignoring the ID part at the moment, which clearly is stupid at best).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

Cyclists are already required to obey road rules all of this is just to punish cyclists and make it less appealing / more of a hassle. If they gave a poo poo about making things safer for road users then they'd ensure that existing rules are enforced and add rules in to provide cyclists with much stronger protection from their biggest danger which is cars.

Cyclists are already required to obey road rules but (from my limited experience) there are a number of them that appear to not care about doing so. As such, the punishment appears not to be effective in being a deterrent. It would be nicer if the rules we have were enforced against cyclists more, but in the meantime this would seem to be a decent stopgap to "encourage" cyclists to obey the law. We should definitely be doing as much as we can to help protect cyclists from cars, but in the meantime we are actually capable of focusing on more than one thing at a time and can do this too. We should definitely be trying to enforce the rules against other road-users, too, and I'd be fine if there was a fine hike on those sorts of of offences against them too since these are the kinds of infringements that can extremely easily turn deadly (as opposed to parking fines and the like which generally harm nobody, at least not physically).

Are you seriously saying that by making it expensive for cyclists to run red lights it'll be unappealing to ride your bike or a massive hassle? Really?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yes? The current fine is hilariously low and wouldn't make most people blink. This is actually something we are allowed to rectify. More enforcement is also critical.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Nicely done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Recoome posted: