Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Starshark posted:

What was the student startup payment? They didn't have that when I worked for C'link.

Isn't the start-up paying the twice yearly CL payments of approximately $1200 for people studying full time to help pay for books/incidental expenses related to your education? I'm on Aus-study now and every February and August there's a large bonus paid. It's always helped because it always seemed to coincide with some large expense that popped up.

Are Labor proposing to put anything in its place or are they talking about just scrapping it outright? If Labor supports it, whats the soonest this change in policy could take effect?

**edit** here it is: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/student-start-up-scholarship

**edit 2** Centrelink has posted an article about the budget proposal to remove it: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/corporate/publications-and-resources/budget/1415/measures/young-people-and-students/17-000618

Except centrelink says it's been removed as of 1 January 2015... I'm sure I got the scholarship through 2015, does that mean that they just extended me a loan or has this not passed yet so the information that it will not be part of 2015 payments not up to date?

Serrath fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler
Is there any prediction marketplaces that Australians can access? I used intrade a lot until it was shut down; predict-it recently opened markets but it seems to be accessible only to Americans.

Are there any others that people know about?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

open24hours posted:

There are the novelties on Sportsbet. I won like $80 betting on the pope a few years ago.

Yeah I use sportsbet already :) Was hoping there was a marketplace program like intrade available which allows you to trade options in addition to straight bets.

It's a bit of an obscure thing but I found out about both intrade and predictit from D&D so I figured that maybe someone would know here if something like that existed that Australian's could access. The market sides like this that I'm aware of require a US address and credit card

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Laserface posted:

Im not following the US election stuff at all. is it actually looking like Trump is going to be elected? surely they arent that stupid?

There is no set of circumstances that could take place that would result in Trump being elected.

In spite of his poll lead, there is a very remote chance that he could even secure the Republican nomination. His support is highest among the republican contenders but is nowhere close to a majority and when the field starts getting picked off and people drop out, the "not-trump" votes will coalesce around one candidate whose votes will significantly exceed Trump's.

Even if it doesn't, the Republican party is already talking about political dealings they can put into place at the time of the convention to ensure that, even with the remote possibility that he attends the convention with a majority of votes, he can still be denied the nomination.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

You Am I posted:

The Federal Anti-Environment Minister has approved the Abbot Point coal port expansion:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-22/massive-abbot-point-coal-port-expansion-gets-federal-approval/7047380

So... what? is it going ahead? Isn't it? I keep reading articles that contradict each other; last week they were saying that it was unlikely that they would be able to secure the environmental permissions to go ahead, now they're saying it will? But before that, there were a ton of articles suggesting that financiers and banks were pulling out but now I guess they've secured the capital? And then there was the environmental impact to a species of skink that made Abbott want to change the requirements to get environmental approval but I thought changes to those laws weren't passed yet?

Is there any one source that documents all the different threats to this expansion to date and how each were resolved? Does it look like, in the end, its going to go through? Because the series of articles that have pre-dated this news article implied strongly that all of these problems, in aggregate, were insurmountable but now this article says, nope, it's going ahead.

It's so confusing and I thought I was relatively well-read on this expansion.

• Locked thread