Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

should have been XmlHttpRequest hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

should have been fetch() hth

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

should have been XmlHttpRequest hth

2 and 3 letter acronyms generally look better capitalized, and certain ones like XML and SQL always look better capitalized.

Big Man With A Gun
Jul 22, 2007

Big Gun With A Man
should have been xXx_sPuNkLoRdz_xM1_h77p_r3Qu3s7_xXx

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

emoji posted:

2 and 3 letter acronyms generally look better capitalized, and certain ones like XML and SQL always look better capitalized.

nah xml and sql are fine

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

would you type WWW

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet is actually entirely correct, since neither xml or http is actually (necessarily) involved in XMLHttpRequest, it is just over-verbose and misleading

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

emoji posted:

It's defensible because it looks better and is more readable. You will always see this pattern for adjacent acronyms because keeping all of them all caps removes information on which letters belong to which. Adhering to the 'rules' and reducing clarity makes no sense because the 'rules' are there to provide clarity, not satisfy OCD tendencies. Hope this helps.

yeah but the person is dumb if they think XMLHTTP is all one abbreviation. so you're just making it more confusing to type and sacrificing grammar for some weird rule of writing function names or whatever that doesn't make any sense. also i think you mean abbreviations, not acronyms, unless they are acronyms!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Bloody posted:

would you type Www

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Big Man With A Gun posted:

should have been xXx_sPuNkLoRdz_xM1_h77p_r3Qu3s7_xXx

speaking of dead memes

people actually typed like that on blogs and i always wondered how they managed it

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

flakeloaf posted:

speaking of dead memes

people actually typed like that on blogs and i always wondered how they managed it

4wT15m

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:golfclap:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

they could have at least added the grammatically correct function name and just have it execute the same function as the old one

i start all my programs with a
#define whilst while

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sagebrush posted:

i start all my programs with a
#define whilst while

good idea, i think i'm going to have it my way too

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

flakeloaf posted:

speaking of dead memes

have you never seen a leet talker program before?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

stop trying to make fetch() happen

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Power Ambient posted:

have you never seen a leet talker program before?

no because my reaction on seeing that camelcase bullshit is to smack the backspace key like i'm on family loving feud and read something not written by a moron

also i sign my posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

stop trying to make fetch() happen

lol

• Locked thread