Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

That's exactly what it is; if hanging onto your ideology is more important that finding out the truth, you'll invent reasons to ignore opinions you don't like and cast the other side as hysterical and insane.

Seeing people on the other side arguing becomes "well obviously liberalism is crazy and stupid, look they can't even agree so it must be irrational!" (Often bizarrely accompanied by "look at this healthy debate on my side, unlike the liberal hivemind where no dissent is permitted").

Someone saying "As a [race] I have personal experience with this so I know what I'm talking about" becomes "look how liberals have a hierarchy where people above you on the color chart get to call the shots and always get to be right."

A couple rude or aggressive people on the other side become "look how terrible liberals are" whereas those people on my side are No True [My Ideology].

Hell we see it in this thread where people took a non-story about some student groups writing a letter to company management expressing their dissatisfaction with a product and having a cordial meeting to improve customer satisfaction and made up from whole cloth "hysterics", "histrionic attacks on cooks", accusations of racism that were never made, etc. Which is typical of what happens whenever anyone who isn't white or isn't a man has a complaint about something in America.

These were absolutely ridiculous complaints that would have rightly been met with "get hosed" if the students hadn't leveraged the racism element implicit to accusations of cultural appropriation in an environment where schools are terrified of having any sort of racial controversy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

silence_kit posted:

No it actually does. Some women in the thread did not want to place transexual women at a higher rank on the cosmic scale of oppression than themselves because then they'd be obligated to accede to them. Posters in the thread went on spiels about how transexual women, who had lived much of their lives as privileged men, had become accustomed to living lives of privilege and how that their demand wasn't fair to other women.

Post this supposed thread, because I'm willing to bet you're full of poo poo.

quote:

I'm honestly flabbergasted that everybody in this thread is straight-up denying that this idea exists in social justice circles. Of course it does! One of the mantras of social justice ideology is that colorblindness is racism.

No it isn't. Prove this.

quote:

So if you aren't supposed to treat everybody equally as if their race/sex doesn't matter, you have to have some kind of hierarchy of oppressed groups in your mind to help you make the right moral decisions, because it is definitely not fair to accede to the white man. It's totally built in to the ideology and has to exist for a lot of the other stuff to make sense. I don't see how this can be a contentious point.

It's contentious because you're outright lying and making poo poo up. If you have any evidence for any of this then put up or shut up, kiddo.

Edit:

Jarmak posted:

These were absolutely ridiculous complaints that would have rightly been met with "get hosed" if the students hadn't leveraged the racism element implicit to accusations of cultural appropriation in an environment where schools are terrified of having any sort of racial controversy.

Give me a direct quote from the students where they made accusations of cultural appropriation to the school. Don't worry, I'll wait.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It was an old E/N thread if I'm not mistaken.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Give me a direct quote from the students where they made accusations of cultural appropriation to the school. Don't worry, I'll wait.
From an article entitled, "CDS Appropriates Asian Dishes, Students Say"

"CDS Appropriates Asian Dishes, Students Say posted:

“When you’re cooking a country’s dish for other people, including ones who have never tried the original dish before, you’re also representing the meaning of the dish as well as its culture,” Joshi said. “So if people not from that heritage take food, modify it and serve it as ‘authentic,’ it is appropriative.”

:eyepop:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

Beaten cause I'm on my phone

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jarmak posted:

This food is bad, an utterly ridiculous complaint for any customer to make. Where do they get the nerve?

Who What Now posted:

This conversation would be a lot easier if people would actually read the articles under discussion...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Kingfish posted:

Was that made to the school? I'm also not seeing the problem there. If you try and say that Campbell's chicken noodle is authentic pho then you're doing something really lovely.

The Kingfish posted:

It was an old E/N thread if I'm not mistaken.

How convenient.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Was that made to the school?

Yes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

And it says that where?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Read the loving article dude I'm not here to teach you.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I just started reading a book about cultural appropriation titled "Who Owns Culture?" by Susan Scafidi. I'm not that far in, but I've gotten to an illustrative example I find interesting.

If a Catholic woman gives a rosary (a cultural product) to her Catholic godchild the exchange is not appropriative because both individuals are within the same cultural group (a source community). Several examples of using a rosary in a culturally appropriative way are then given, such as use by non-Catholics as a fashion accessory. Another example is use by a Catholic for proselytizing to non-Catholics.

So, if I understand this correctly, any use of a cultural product that involves individuals outside a product's source community is culturally appropriative. That means that white people rapping and African-American rappers performing for non-African-Americans are both culturally appropriating rap music.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Squalid posted:

This food is bad, an utterly ridiculous complaint for any customer to make. Where do they get the nerve?

This conversation would be a lot easier if people would actually read the articles under discussion...

"This American dish that I didn't even taste because it looked nothing like the version they make in China is an affront to my culture" is in fact a ridiculous complaint.

Who What Now posted:

And it says that where?

I kinda thought the quoted response from the cafeteria manger to this exact allegations was kind of a tip off.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Who What Now posted:

And it says that where?

Your "to the school" requirement is vague enough that I think statements in the school newspaper could be interpreted as fulfilling it, also while it's not clear exactly what was said to Dining Services, the fact that they said they "did not intend to serve the dishes disrespectfully" is a strong indication that yes, these feelings were made explicit to Bon Appétit.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Kingfish posted:

Read the loving article dude I'm not here to teach you.

The article you didn't link?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Look in my post history.

E: or google it, I gave you the title.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Who What Now posted:

The article you didn't link?

You mean the original article that is the source of the entire discussion? You need it linked?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jarmak posted:

"This American dish that I didn't even taste because it looked nothing like the version they make in China is an affront to my culture" is in fact a ridiculous complaint.

I kinda thought the quoted response from the cafeteria manger to this exact allegations was kind of a tip off.

What are you quoting nobody said that. You could at least use real complaints instead of making up quotes and misattributing them...

Anyway, if you think a group of students (who probably are required by the school to purchase a meal plan) had approached the dining hall and just said "your food is bad" and published an article in the school paper saying the same administration would have reacted differently? Because I don't. Talk is cheap, and many problems have solutions that are free or mostly free.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Squalid posted:

Talk is cheap, and many problems have solutions that are free or mostly free.

Improving food produced by a cafeteria that feed thousands of people is not one of these problems with free or mostly free solutions.

E: the Chinese student didn't specifically say it was an affront to his culture, but all that means is that his complaints probably shouldn't have been included in an article that was specifically about appropriation.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Kingfish posted:

Improving food produced by a cafeteria that feed thousands of people is not one of these problems with free or mostly free solutions.

E: the Chinese student didn't specifically say it was an affront to his culture, but all that means is that his complaints probably shouldn't have been included in an article that was specifically about appropriation.

Then take that up with the article instead of making up stories about hysterical minorities that never actually happened.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

The article states management offered to change the names of the dishes, which is about as cheap a solution as you can get.

In many cases you can improve institutional food without spending money though, and I was recently in a situation that was basically the opposite of these students. I was eating regularly at an Asian cafeteria that often served pancakes for breakfast. Unfortunately they didn't understand pancakes were supposed to rise, so they were always flat and weird and dense. Nobody said anything for a month because the westerners didn't want to impose, but when we finally did the cooks easily corrected (well, mostly) the problem, presumably just by adding a tad more baking powder, and everybody benefited. This kind of mistake is easy to make when you're just working from a recipe, and unless someone is brave enough to speak up its easy to just keep making it over and over again. Feedback is important, and institutions really do want to hear people's opinions. I know my University dining hall had a little suggestion box by the door.

Preferably, I think they'd like to hear your complaints BEFORE they make national news. I can't imagine Bon Appétit is too thrilled with all the conservatives reposting an article about how bad their food is over and over, even if they're ostensibly doing it to defend them from pc culture gone mad.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hexmage-SA posted:

So, if I understand this correctly, any use of a cultural product that involves individuals outside a product's source community is culturally appropriative. That means that white people rapping and African-American rappers performing for non-African-Americans are both culturally appropriating rap music.

I think it's safe to say you don't understand it correctly. Sorry.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Then take that up with the article instead of making up stories about hysterical minorities that never actually happened.

I didn't, retard.

How about you actually read articles before posting smug incorrect bullshit about them?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

The Kingfish posted:

I didn't, retard.

How about you actually read articles before posting smug incorrect bullshit about them?

For what it's worth the student you quoted isn't actually Chinese, he's Japanese. I'm guessing you can't tell Asians apart in person but it takes a special kind of person to mistake them when they are in print and their background is actually specified.

So how about you practice what you preach?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Ddraig posted:

For what it's worth the student you quoted isn't actually Chinese, he's Japanese. I'm guessing you can't tell Asians apart in person but it takes a special kind of person to mistake them when they are in print and their background is actually specified.

So how about you practice what you preach?

Wtf are you talking about dude, learn to follow posts.

E: like, read the posts from this page in order and then realize that you are a moron.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Squalid posted:

What are you quoting nobody said that. You could at least use real complaints instead of making up quotes and misattributing them...

Are you seriously taking the position that all the students quoted in an article about cultural appropriation were quoted out of context unless they specifically used the words "cultural appropriation" in the single sentence the paper chose to quote?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Kingfish posted:

I'm glad that this thread has gradually metamorphosed into a celebration of college dorm food, and the offensiveness of saying it sucks.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Effectronica posted:

I'm glad that this thread has gradually metamorphosed into a celebration of college dorm food, and the offensiveness of saying it sucks.

Shut up effectronica you stupid nerd thats only what you wish the article was about.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Effectronica posted:

"Haha, I know you are but what am I?"

You are a true intellectual.

I love how the Che Brigade can only define 'cultural appropriation' by how sober-minded folk make fun of it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Haha yeah okay. No civilized white man would ever complain about the quality of his school cafeteria, righto champ.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Haha yeah okay. No civilized white man would ever complain about the quality of his school cafeteria, righto champ.

"This kitchen lady culturally appropriated my Jell-O salad by omitting the marshmallows. I demand a hearing with the Dean of Students to rectify this grievous racism!"

That's nice, Trevor.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

"This kitchen lady culturally appropriated my Jell-O salad by omitting the marshmallows. I demand a hearing with the Dean of Students to rectify this grievous racism!"

That's nice, Trevor.

Have you noticed yet that you have to constantly make poo poo up and attribute it to these kids to make them sound uppity and foolish? Why is that so crucial to your point, do you think?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

Noice strawman, primo quality

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I really thought the discussion on the cafeteria food was over the moment we realized that the issue was handled cordially among both sides. I mean this is one of those rare times where a dialogue happened and an agreement was made. But it seems people are tripping over themselves to make this issue bigger than it actually was all so they can score points against CA and these students.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Are you seriously taking the position that all the students quoted in an article about cultural appropriation were quoted out of context unless they specifically used the words "cultural appropriation" in the single sentence the paper chose to quote?

No, I'm saying if you want to criticize someone your argument will be a lot stronger if you use actual quotes people have really said or written instead of inventing exaggerated lines and calling these fictional complaints nobody made ridiculous.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I really thought the discussion on the cafeteria food was over the moment we realized that the issue was handled cordially among both sides. I mean this is one of those rare times where a dialogue happened and an agreement was made. But it seems people are tripping over themselves to make this issue bigger than it actually was all so they can score points against CA and these students.

A foreign-exchange student's mewling about racist sushi at a place where she's dishing out $50,000 a year to study Intersectionality of Semiotics of Timorese-Navajo Ikat is indelible, and priceless. I know this must hurt for you.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Squalid posted:

In many cases you can improve institutional food without spending money though, and I was recently in a situation that was basically the opposite of these students. I was eating regularly at an Asian cafeteria that often served pancakes for breakfast. Unfortunately they didn't understand pancakes were supposed to rise, so they were always flat and weird and dense. Nobody said anything for a month because the westerners didn't want to impose, but when we finally did the cooks easily corrected (well, mostly) the problem, presumably just by adding a tad more baking powder, and everybody benefited. This kind of mistake is easy to make when you're just working from a recipe, and unless someone is brave enough to speak up its easy to just keep making it over and over again. Feedback is important, and institutions really do want to hear people's opinions. I know my University dining hall had a little suggestion box by the door.
When you say westerners, who do you mean? Because pancakes aren't just American-style fluffy pancakes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

TheImmigrant posted:

A foreign-exchange student's mewling about racist sushi at a place where she's dishing out $50,000 a year to study Intersectionality of Semiotics of Timorese-Navajo Ikat is indelible, and priceless. I know this must hurt for you.

No, but it makes you come off as a jackass who isn't about resolving issues but rather just looking to belittle and demean people.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Foreign exchange kids at places like Oberlin probably have more privilege than the minorities they claim to speak for.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Squalid posted:

No, I'm saying if you want to criticize someone your argument will be a lot stronger if you use actual quotes people have really said or written instead of inventing exaggerated lines and calling these fictional complaints nobody made ridiculous.

Which part was invented or exaggerated? I was paraphrasing, accurately.

VitalSigns posted:

What is this strawman crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

No, but it makes you come off as a jackass who isn't about resolving issues but rather just looking to belittle and demean people.

Keep fighting the good fight, Tiger! Racism can only be defeated by Posting furiously on the Internet according to incoherent social theory.

I salute your bravery. You're, like, a superhero.

• Locked thread