Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I've been fascinated by APL and its dialects for the past few years. My background is in classic functional programming, and I'm now a researcher in the field of optimising compilers for data-parallel functional programming, and the APL community contains the most experience with writing expressive data-parallel programs. I'm still more of an APL fanboy than a real APL programmer, but I like this function for removing the inner wovels of words:

code:
{(1⌊(~(⍵∊'aeiouyAEIOUY'))+(1,⌽1↓⌽⍵∊' ')+(1↓⍵∊' '),1)/⍵}
However, I do work with a guy who is a real APL programmer. He is now working on a compiler for APL - well, actually for the Dfns dialect, which as far as I can tell is a slightly simplified APL made by Dyalog, which seem to be the biggest APL providers. It's supposed to cut down a little on the craziest parts of the language (it introduces lexical scoping, for example), and thus make compiling it more reasonable.

For learning K, can anyone recommend a good open source implementation? I've seen Kona before, and even played a little with it, but I was not aware that it implemented an older version of the language.

I still need to learn J also. I don't care much about the ASCII-fied syntax, but I've heard that it has made some things cleaner (like working with multidimensional arrays). Some of its features, like trains, have made it into Dyalog APL, though.

Finally, a shout out to GNU APL. It's a very good free software implementation of APL, which nobody seems to know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Is there a good writeup of why K as a language is fast? I understand how a column-oriented in-memory database can be fast, but what about the language itself? As far as I understand, it's just an interpreter. Does it even use parallelism? My own theory is that most K code uses language features directly, without any pointless abstraction layers, which means that only a relatively small number of interpreter actions are actually performed (and those are of course hand-optimised), but I have never seen a large K program.

Are there any benchmarks comparing K to C? I often see it mentioned that it's just so much faster, but nobody mentions exactly why (except of course for the K code being much shorter, thus making it easier to optimise).

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

BigBobio posted:

So I actually program use APL at work. Once you get past the syntax and the special characters, its quite nice. Prototyping is a breeze

Also, as you could imagine, the user community is quite idiosyncratic.

Where do you work? Everyone I know who programs APL is either in finance or... idiosyncratic.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Congratulations on the job!

I've become involved in writing an APL compiler targeting GPU execution. As a result, I figured I should probably get some more experience with APL by itself. Is there a nice way to write stencils? Currently we do it by a mess of concatenations and transposes, for example here, for the core of a 2D stencil:

pre:
  iter ← {
    temp ← ⍵
    m1 ← (⍉1↓⍉temp),row 1⍴0
    m2 ← (row 1⍴0),⍉¯1↓⍉temp
    x ← (m1 + m2) - c1 × temp

n1 ← ⍉(⍉1↓temp),col⍴0
    n2 ← ⍉(col⍴0),⍉¯1↓temp
    y ← (n1 + n2) - c2 × temp

delta ← (step ÷ Cap) × (power + (y ÷ Ry) + (x ÷ Rx) + (amb_temp - temp) ÷ Rz)
    temp + delta
  }
Row, step, Cap and the like are constants. Everything interesting happens in the definitions of m1, m1, n1, and n2. What this code basically does is take the 2D-array temp, and for each of the four cardinal directions, split off a row/column, then add a row/column of zeroes on the opposite side. I think this code would be more concise and simpler in Python+Numpy, which is unusual. Maybe stencils just haven't been a priority for the domains where APL is usually applied? We managed to get this to run pretty fast, but I don't much like the way it looks.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Oh yeah, that'll make it nicer. I wonder if it's supported by our parser. Won't do anything for performance, but we're already close to hand-written code anyway.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
You still have to fill out a form and wait for someone to approve it if you want to try it out. There is an "unregistered" version, but only for Windows. Why do they make it so hard to try it out?

It's interesting that there's been so relatively many array programming posts on HN recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

taqueso posted:

HN seems to do everything in spurts. Maybe array languages are finally going to get big because concurrency is becoming so important.

Are any of the array languages particularly parallel in practice? I noticed Dyalog added futures recently, which is something you could find in any old procedural language.

• Locked thread