Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, cool! I've been trying to get into K, but put it on hold for a bit in part due to the lack of accessible information and tutorials on the language. I've seen some reference documentation before, but it's not like you can scan it and go "ok I can code K now". These resources look quite neat though so I'll give it another go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

K4 is confusingly most commonly consumed in the form of KDB+, which includes a slim wrapper on top of K to make it a bit more SQL-like and friendly, (nick)named Q. However, the semantics are all really the same, and the step to learning K4 from learning Q is actually really small (though for a lot of tasks it is not a really necessary step other than for fun). This however means that you can leap into the more available Q reference materials as a first step, launching into K off of that. Then one can recommand the rather nice Q for mortals: http://code.kx.com/wiki/JB:QforMortals2/contents

For availability of the propriety version of Q/K, go to kx.com and download the free 32-bit version, when started it will land you at a Q prompt, a single backslash followed by enter drops you down into K4.

Thanks. I guess I was going at it rear end-backwards, as I wanted to learn K with the end goal of applying it with KDB+ :)

• Locked thread