Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?
I discovered K recently while doing some research at work, it's changed the way I think about programming. It's pretty awesome. I'm advocating for it now since it kicks the crap out of our current stuff (and in much less code), but it's a pretty tough sell to people who don't already know about it. Proprietary, closed-source, expensive software made by one small company makes for a hard comparison against the usual big data crap. K deserves much more attention than it gets, IMO, but they don't make it easy.

P.S. Anybody going to KxCon this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?
I've been thinking about trying to get a job doing K stuff. Any advice from people who've worked in that community before, i.e. is there anything/any companies I should watch out for?

Internet Janitor posted:

I recently obtained a copy of k6, the successor to k5, and I've begun studying it. I'm recording my findings in preparation for moving my interpreter toward supporting this new dialect.

Using a single numeric type (doubles only I guess?) is an interesting choice, not sure how I feel about that.

Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?

Internet Janitor posted:

Currently k6 does distinguish between ints and floats if you inspect the typecodes with @, so the implications of this choice seem to be more that ints and floats will coerce to one another in more situations and if the interpreter does something special under the hood as an optimization the programmer need not concern themselves with it. The major change here is the banshment of various subtypes, like "boolean ints" that are restricted to 0 or 1, shorts, etc. as distinct numeric types. In oK using doubles for everything hasn't produced any particularly weird problems, but then again I'm mostly applying it to toy problems.

Ah, that makes a bit more sense. I've had cause to use shorts before, but I suppose storage and memory is cheap.

Found any other cool stuff in K6? I saw Dave Thomas from FD at a meetup a few weeks ago, and he was saying something about having type annotations and a built-in JIT (I'm forgetting the details now).

• Locked thread