Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PleasureKevin posted:

yeah, do a "domain name transfer". you sign on to the current user's domain registrar (or have them do it), then they unlock it and should give you a code. you initiate a transfer from your domain registrar and use this code, and there you go. I think. I use hover.com cause it has a simple UI and not a lot of up-selling, but it's like a few dollars more than GoDaddy or w/e.

setting up your own email server is hell, don't do that. personally I use runbox (dm for a referral that gives me $10). when you set up your domain name you will come across DNS. this is where you point your domain to your website server. basically you sign up for runbox or whatever, then put mx.runbox.com in your DNS and you're good to go. then just set up in Mail.app or Outlook.

get a widows ISO and a USB drive. run "Bootcamp Assistant". this will load Windows on to the USB and then when you restart, it just starts installing just like it was a PC. after you set up windows, there's a package on the USB to install Macbook-specific drivers and stuff. after, just remember to hold Alt when you hear the "ding" on boot to choose between Mac and Windows when you want to change OS.

i'm the backwards typing with words not also spelled backwards

e: gently caress

e: why are you quotable normally kevin this fuckery is disturbing and scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

uh lol. it's fine for me now, empty your cache

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

the css only applies to his posts

i think zdr did it to test the cloud

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
glad I DIDnt buy w7 coz el crapiturd only allows w8 or newer

anyway i had to go to bed half way through it downloading poo poo. no idea what stage bootcamp assit got to coz when I open it it lets me restore back to no bootcamp but windows isnt an option under the alt startuip

gonna restore and try again

it asked for a location of the iso so i put that on the mac drive. it didnt complain but it was NOT clear it wanted it on a usb or anything so I will do that this time

I know when it went to be bed it was downloading poo poo for installing windows but I have no idea how to ask this mac to not go to sleep. fuckin macs love going to sleep

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
important thing with bootcamp: when you get into the Windows installer, you have to delete the partition that boot camp assistant made so that Windows can format it to something useable.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
there is no good stand-in for excel b.c excel has all its hosed up poo poo that makes it excel.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
some fucktard isnt going to be able to deploy thier aids infected excel scripts on a libreoffice document so they QQ

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

I know when it went to be bed it was downloading poo poo for installing windows but I have no idea how to ask this mac to not go to sleep. fuckin macs love going to sleep

system preferences -> energy saver. BS CS top 50

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Roosevelt posted:

BS CS top 50

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yard salad posted:

the css only applies to his posts

i think zdr did it to test the cloud

lol oh that makes better sense.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is bullshit google domains isnt yet available for .co.nz

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
.ninja is only $19 so cool your jets space cadet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
baking.club is not available but baking.rocks is

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
.co.nz is way too expensive. just get a dotcom

pram
Jun 10, 2001
.aids .gas

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

.co.nz is way too expensive. just get a dotcom

only it's an established URL :cry:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so when I go to print from my mac it just doesn't work. windows prints fine. its a wifi printer. it jus says "saerching for printer" for ages and fails. it has worked in the past though so I know it can work

the one thing that sort of does my head in is how when things dont "just work", I hvae no idea whatsoever how to fix or change things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
al the file system. finder is a hot piece of poo poo. seriously cupertino get your act together. its like you dont want to admit the file system is there, so you just ignore it and dont do anything about it

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
do you need a wiki?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

echinopsis posted:

ok so when I go to print from my mac it just doesn't work. windows prints fine. its a wifi printer. it jus says "saerching for printer" for ages and fails. it has worked in the past though so I know it can work

the one thing that sort of does my head in is how when things dont "just work", I hvae no idea whatsoever how to fix or change things

u probs need to add it by ip b.c linux printer aids

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
and then once u find the printer, u need to select the drivers from a huuuuge list of printers. if its not on the list, uh, idk. i pick one thats kinda close to it. to get it perfect well idk ude have2 ask pram.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i hate printers / printing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cheers brother but I've done all of that. even downloaded printer drivers.. its just hosed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Smythe posted:

i hate printers / printing

only the most supremely hosed up people do not hate printers

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i have no reason to hate printers, because i own a laserjet 4+ :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sweevo posted:

i have no reason to hate printers, because i own a laserjet 4+ :smug:

we had a laser 4m Plus at work and the envelope feeder needed to be literally haldheld every envelope. it paper jammed constantly due to not sucking good.

we replaced it recently with some hp officemaster pro or whatever network printer and its ok cept the toner is already far outcosting the entire lifetime support (like 20 yrs) and toner of the laserjet hehe

• Locked thread