Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

echinopsis posted:

there is a website. I am making a new website but idk about transferring urls or domains or whatever. i dont even know the terminologies or what I need to know in order to do so

yeah, do a "domain name transfer". you sign on to the current user's domain registrar (or have them do it), then they unlock it and should give you a code. you initiate a transfer from your domain registrar and use this code, and there you go. I think. I use hover.com cause it has a simple UI and not a lot of up-selling, but it's like a few dollars more than GoDaddy or w/e.

echinopsis posted:

email on said url... rent a seervice like fastmail.com or my ISP and use the url to do sometrhingt with ut??? i need the 101

setting up your own email server is hell, don't do that. personally I use runbox (dm for a referral that gives me $10). when you set up your domain name you will come across DNS. this is where you point your domain to your website server. basically you sign up for runbox or whatever, then put mx.runbox.com in your DNS and you're good to go. then just set up in Mail.app or Outlook.

echinopsis posted:

I have the mac lappy but a particular piece of simulation software requires windows so how do I bootcamp? thats the thing right

get a widows ISO and a USB drive. run "Bootcamp Assistant". this will load Windows on to the USB and then when you restart, it just starts installing just like it was a PC. after you set up windows, there's a package on the USB to install Macbook-specific drivers and stuff. after, just remember to hold Alt when you hear the "ding" on boot to choose between Mac and Windows when you want to change OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

i'm the backwards typing with words not also spelled backwards

e: gently caress

e: why are you quotable normally kevin this fuckery is disturbing and scary

uh lol. it's fine for me now, empty your cache

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yard salad posted: