Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, yeah, and my fondness for whiskey and wine killed 27 people today from DUIs alone. Is there no depth to the depravity of my collective guilt?

I did not realize how disgustingly common mass DUIs were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, yeah, and my fondness for whiskey and wine killed 27 people today from DUIs alone. Is there no limit to the depravity of my collective guilt?

Drinking and driving aren't big issues on their own, only when they are combined do they become a danger to society.

Firearms and ammunition aren't very dangerous on their own, only when they are combined do they become a danger to society. Ergo one may not ever legally own both a firearm and ammunition at the same time, much like one cannot both consume alcohol and operate a vehicle at the same time. An interesting proposal, forums user Dead Reckoning.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Actually, it's already illegal to transport a loaded firearm or carry one in public in California, unless you're licensed.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Now if only it was illegal to own one, but nationwide instead of just California.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

:goonsay:

this thread in general.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Now if only it was illegal to own one, but nationwide instead of just California.

So you're saying that gun control can only fail because everyone, everywhere has not yet adopted its most extreme tenets?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dead Reckoning posted:

Or, you could realize that there are any number of things to be done that would help the progressive agenda, lower crime, and improve our society, instead of trying to tell other people how to live their lives because you don't like them and don't like their beliefs.

It's funny how many pro gun people post this in these threads and then later go "but I vote R because guns are all I actually care about"

gently caress off

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

"I vote republican despite the fact that they directly work against my interests because GUNS" - TFR

are you supposed to be a representative of the guys looking out for their interests, here

cause I think I see a problem with your scenario

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

are you supposed to be a representative of the guys looking out for their interests, here

cause I think I see a problem with your scenario

No, that is a quote verbatim from one of our TFR reps in a previous gun thread.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Voting for Republicans is a sound strategy. Who cares if they take away all your other liberties, freedoms and other such nonsense when you have the freedom to own a gun, which will guarantee all those freedoms will come back when you totally take the army, national guard and other agencies down?

It's pretty amazing how the only freedom most republicans are 100% behind is the one that is almost completely and totally irrelevant in the modern world.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Or, you could realize that there are any number of things to be done that would help the progressive agenda, lower crime, and improve our society, instead of trying to tell other people how to live their lives because you don't like them and don't like their beliefs.

Well yeah I already agreed that there are enough motivated voters willing and able to gently caress the country over their toys so it's probably not worth it no matter how many schools and hospitals get shot up to let them play with the whiz-bangs. I'm on your side here.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dead Reckoning posted:

So you're saying that gun control can only fail because everyone, everywhere has not yet adopted its most extreme tenets?

actually what I'm saying is that you and your ilk are homunculi who care more about a hunk of metal than human lives

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Questions about the future and gun control: We literally believe that Republicans are hitler and Democrats are Captain America

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

actually what I'm saying is that you and your ilk are homunculi who care more about a hunk of metal than human lives
There are many things I care more about than human lives. Like wifi, and sausages.

This is why I am currently using wifi to post online while I cook sausages instead of saving a life somewhere.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LeoMarr posted:

Questions about the future and gun control: We literally believe that Republicans are hitler and Democrats are Captain America

Cap would hate the modern Republican Party actually so

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Literally The Worst posted:

Cap would hate the modern Republican Party actually so

Cap does hate the modern Republican Party now. There was a whole kerfluffle about it like a month or so back.

Also Cap is black now because Steve Rogers lost his powers or something.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
White privilege isn't a superpower.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

Cap does hate the modern Republican Party now. There was a whole kerfluffle about it like a month or so back.

Also Cap is black now because Steve Rogers lost his powers or something.

Super Soldier Serum got drained from his body and he got old, so the Falcon replaced him

Also I mean Steve Rogers would hate them

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I did not realize how disgustingly common mass DUIs were.

The US has an alcohol related death rate 7 times that of Muslim countries that ban alcohol.

How can you, in good conscience, be against banning alcohol?

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/alcohol/by-country/

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LeoMarr posted:

That is not a question, let alone the requisite 2+ questions to use the plural form of the word. Pretty embarrassing error you made here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Armyman25 posted:

The US has an alcohol related death rate 7 times that of Muslim countries that ban alcohol.

How can you, in good conscience, be against banning alcohol?

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/alcohol/by-country/

:ssh: Someone drinking themselves to death is not the same as forcing an entire crowd to drink themselves to death as part of your master plan to kill a bunch of people before you get taken out, if we're going to keep the gun theme here.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LeoMarr posted:

Nah take away guns that will remove all forms of crime actually. Ban knives too and any object that could be used as a blunt weapon.

I don't think that removing guns from general society will end all forms of crime. What about, say, embezzlement, or animal cruelty? Seems like you are not arguing in good faith because you are mad about the idea of people restricting your toy accessibility, original poster. Might want to work on that in the future.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Tezzor posted:

That is not a question, let alone the requisite 2+ questions to use the plural form of the word. Pretty embarrassing error you made here.
I agree with Tezzor in a gun control thread.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: Someone drinking themselves to death is not the same as forcing an entire crowd to drink themselves to death as part of your master plan to kill a bunch of people before you get taken out, if we're going to keep the gun theme here.

Wow way to not care about people offing themselves with guns, rear end in a top hat.

inb4 "yeah but suicide is irrational but drinking yourself to death isn't because" or "guns kill you right away thereby making you double dead whereas drinking--"

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Literally The Worst posted:

It's funny how many pro gun people post this in these threads and then later go "but I vote R because guns are all I actually care about"

gently caress off
I think the National Firearms Act of 1934 is a bad law, and I will be voting for Hillary next year.

gently caress off

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Kilroy posted:

I think the National Firearms Act of 1934 is a bad law, and I will be voting for Hillary next year.

gently caress off
I agree that the NFA is a bad law and I will probably just spend election day drinking until America is great again.

Because laffo if anyone thinks even Republicans want to repeal the NFA.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Fact: 100% of all shootings in history have involved a gun

Fact: Not a single person who has been killed by a gun has ever survived.

Fact: If every single gun in circulation were to be removed through the use of magic, there would be no more shootings

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the psychotic internet wierdos who can't stop screeching their hatred for Americans even as they attempt a cursory pretense of caring are the ones really looking out for your best interests, and you'd know that and do what they say if you weren't such a fat regressive uneducated murderous white capitalist nazi redneck

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Fact: Not a single person who has been killed by a gun has ever survived.

Fact: If every single gun in circulation were to be removed through the use of magic, there would be no more shootings

Facts #1 and #3 are wrong- what about bow/crossbow shootings?

Checkmate. :smugdog:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Flowers For Algeria posted:

King Harald would disagree.

Also while I was searching for that image I found this mildly NWS image.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

LGD posted:

Facts #1 and #3 are wrong- what about bow/crossbow shootings?

Checkmate. :smugdog:

Pedant.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

CommieGIR posted:

Domestic violence and many crimes are closely tied to alcohol use. About 26% of victims of violent crime report that the offender was using drugs or alcohol: http://www.bjs.gov/content/dcf/duc.cfm

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

guys we need to reduce the ability to get 30 round assault clips and stop gun violence once and for all

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kilroy posted:

gently caress off

I agree. What America needs today are fewer restrictions on explosive and automatic weapons.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

Nah Hitler was at least interested in governing his country, even if his ideas on how to do it were hideous.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Kilroy posted:

I'm politically on the left and yet I'm probably more pro-gun than most American conservatives, yet I don't perceive any cognitive dissonance being such. Should I?

I'm right there with you. If anything, I'm a supporter of gun-owning freedoms because of the same sensibilities towards rights and freedoms that cause me to be a member of the left generally.

Gun control has become red meat to the Dem base the way any number of things have been to the Republican base, and people like Tezzor are the Poe's Law endgame of that phenomenon.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

JerryLee posted:

I'm right there with you. If anything, I'm a supporter of gun-owning freedoms because of the same sensibilities towards rights and freedoms that cause me to be a member of the left generally.

Gun control has become red meat to the Dem base the way any number of things have been to the Republican base, and people like Tezzor are the Poe's Law endgame of that phenomenon.

I don't see anything particularly "leftist" about opposition to regulations, rejection of universally successful modern policy, the blanket right to own property regardless of the consequences to others, and allegiance with some of the most reactionary yahoos in the developed world.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I am a supporter of chemical-waste dumping and smog belching rights and freedoms because of my leftist sensibilities toward all rights and freedoms, you democRATs can't handle how leftist I am.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

VitalSigns posted:

I am a supporter of chemical-waste dumping and smog belching rights and freedoms because of my leftist sensibilities toward all rights and freedoms, you democRATs can't handle how leftist I am.

Clearly, recklessly releasing toxic substances into the environment is the appropriate analogy for responsibly owning/using something in a way that harms no one.

If we use a more logical point of comparison, I'm also against the "freedom" to actually spray bullets into a crowd, so I guess you've gotten me to admit that I do draw a line somewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

JerryLee posted:

Clearly, recklessly releasing toxic substances into the environment is the appropriate analogy for responsibly owning/using something in a way that harms no one.

Except for the 230,000+ firearms stolen per year mostly as a result of gun owner paranoia, sloth and stupidity, their annual funneling of tens of millions into the gun industry, and their ceaseless opposition to any credible attempts to regulate firearms.

• Locked thread