Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
This Day 4 challenge, I have the feeling that I should have done it by actually knowing how MD5 works (very well) and then figuring out what kind of message would produce what kind of output. But then I just brute forced it, parallelized it and called it a day. I feel dirty. Then again, it is the simplest solution, but ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I loving hate Day 12 (was away for a week, catching up now). Phase 1 was able to do without a json parser and no regex's (yet, knock on wood). And it was really simple and clever. And in phase 2 now it makes me either make a json parser, use one or implement some mind-twisting, soul-hating state machine that I'll remember forever in the "what not to do" section of programming experiences.

I guess I'll just have to get in line and use this son of jay ....

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Xarn posted:

I said it once already, but I just used an ad-hoc brace matcher...

Yes, I did run it in Release mode so the assert did nothing anyway, why do you ask? :v:

Yes, and then inbetween you had to find the offending string, then find_start again. I chose to keep a bit of my sanity and just use a drat parser.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
What I hope is that in January we would get the really nice and elegant solutions to all these problems which would put my brute-forced crap to shame.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

chutwig posted:

Finally had time to return to the problems after a busy December and restart all the way back at problem 7. Having it laid bare that I'm a systems programmer with little knowledge of algorithms is teeth-gritting sometimes, but that makes it all the more gratifying when I get the solution.

Welcome, you're gonna have a lot of fun (until Day 19, drat that day). But, I'm just curious, what does "systems programmer with little knowledge of algorithms" means? From what I know, systems programming still is programming (with a different focus), where algorithms are just as prevalent and as important (if not more so) than application programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Erwin posted:

I've been doing a few of the days that I never finished last year in anticipation of 2016 starting. Did last year's in Python, doing this year's in Go.

One guy did yesterday's challenge in brainf*ck: https://www.reddit.com/r/adventofcode/comments/5g1cx1/spoilers_2016_day_1_brainfck_dear_fsm_why_did_i/
Yea ... beat that.

• Locked thread