Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

YES bread posted:

Kanna definitely has a lot of spooky looking spells, including one that lowers mob respawn time on a map. I get the feeling it will come in handy if the servers ever come back up

Sounds good. Guess I'll pick this class up. Do you have to be a female for this? Or is the example given in the OP just...an example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Against my better judgement I'm trying out Reboot, is anyone planning on starting up a guild?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Obscurity posted:

Sounds good. Guess I'll pick this class up. Do you have to be a female for this? Or is the example given in the OP just...an example?

I'm reasonably certain that Kanna is no longer gender locked. Be aware though, as one of the Japanese classes, Kanna doesn't get much love or attention from the devs, since they go off the Korean content updates. This generally means when there are big class revamps they don't get anything, which isn't too bad, but it occasionally means Nexon will forget to add Fans (their weapon) to event stores and such. They haven't done that for a little while, but it has been known to happen.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Obscurity posted:

In kanna's case you can choose, but for some of the other ones you're stuck with that character's gender. Angelic Buster comes to mind.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
There's a region lock on this, I didn't spot that in the OP, so if it's not there add it in so others don't download the game and then find it doesn't work.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Cryohazard posted:

There's a region lock on this, I didn't spot that in the OP, so if it's not there add it in so others don't download the game and then find it doesn't work.

Region lock is applied differently by account
. Some account is allowed to log in without it.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

Wonderful. What use is that to me or anyone else that wants to try the game again but doesn't have the information for a 10 year old account?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I think they needed multiple Reboot servers. Every area I go into has higher level players "training" low level players.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
I may have to get in on this reboot thing. Is there a Goonsquad on that server yet?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I should be able to make it sometime this weekend, you need to be level 100 + use 5m Mesos.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Today I was able to launch the game (after a restart) and create my character.

Client crashed shortly after, and now I can't launch again.

Are the servers still having issues? I seem to be the only one unable to get the client to open up consistently. Is there anything in windows 10 that could be causing a compatibility issue?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

Legacy accounts created before they implemented the ip blocks can play Maplestory regardless. I have a spare legacy account registered to an email I can't access anymore, but gently caress going through Nexon's CS.

Double stab is still hilariously bad, wizards and elves are assholes

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 4, 2015

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012
So, uh, I've been getting three levels every time I fill up my bar as a Hayato. I'm guess that's not supposed to happen. Made leveling to 100 really quick, I tell you what.

Edit:
Abuse the "free" equipment upgrade system. I've not had an equip break yet and 5 star everything is hilarious. The stat boost is ridiculous.

AppliedPhilosophy fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 4, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I don't even care if shade is the worst class in the game, pounding poo poo to death with a giant spirit is hilarious

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

AppliedPhilosophy posted:

Abuse the "free" equipment upgrade system. I've not had an equip break yet and 5 star everything is hilarious. The stat boost is ridiculous.

There's only a chance to break when going over +11 iirc

AppliedPhilosophy posted:

So, uh, I've been getting three levels every time I fill up my bar as a Hayato. I'm guess that's not supposed to happen. Made leveling to 100 really quick, I tell you what.

Nexon posted:

Sizzling Santa

Wednesday, December 2 – Wednesday, December 30

Help cover for Santa Paul in Happyville’s first-ever Santa Contest! Recruit a team of elves and reindeer and receive daily rewards for all of your hard work. Complete Santa’s Missions daily to earn even more rewards! Earn slot expansion coupons, 2x coupons, Reboot Coins, and more. This event also features another Burning Character effect available for characters Lv. 33 – 150!

This is only active on a single character per account though.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 4, 2015

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I was actually really happy to take things slow, go through quests and theme dungeons, and explore if the level ramp doesn't expect you to do much grinding without quests anymore. Then I made my character burning without realizing and before I could finish basically any quest lines in any area I was level 61 :v:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I got to 140 send help

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in reboot as Zwiebelfisch. So far it's been pretty cool.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I tried to power through to 70 on mercedes for the link skill but she's just so drat boring.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
servers are back down for unscheduled maintenance and i'll pretty much guarantee you it's because nexon doesn't know what overflow is

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

So I am level 18 so far after doing like 5 quests or something. I feel like the UI is terrible in this game. I really dislike it. The controls are weird too. For example the Ether Pulse ability that my Kanna has which teleports me..it says to press an arrow key in the direction you wish to teleport. The problem with this is the distance I teleport seems to vary greatly. In addition, sometimes I can teleport up and sometimes I can't (only trying where there are levels to move to).

I am assuming all the crazy flashy abilities come as I level up? Is that was the second, third, fourth job stuff is all about?

Is there a way to steam mod the game to make it 1920x1080 without creating garbage pixels? If not is there a way to increase the scale of the UI elements when using the 1366x768 (or whatever it is) resolution?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
they've changed the ui over time but the controls are what they are cause this game is, at this point, at least 14 years old. i'm not going to defend it but that's why it's that way.

teleports have a fixed distance (they used to say the distance but it was so ridiculously vague with "teleport a distance of 100" that who cares) which is why sometimes you can't teleport up through a platform. they can also dislike height changes if you're teleporting horizontally.

this is assuming kanna's teleport works like regular rear end teleport from mages, if it doesn't then who knows. maple story is a very mysterious game.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

servers are back down for unscheduled maintenance and i'll pretty much guarantee you it's because nexon doesn't know what overflow is

this game is so good

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

sword_man.gif posted:

they've changed the ui over time but the controls are what they are cause this game is, at this point, at least 14 years old. i'm not going to defend it but that's why it's that way.

teleports have a fixed distance (they used to say the distance but it was so ridiculously vague with "teleport a distance of 100" that who cares) which is why sometimes you can't teleport up through a platform. they can also dislike height changes if you're teleporting horizontally.

this is assuming kanna's teleport works like regular rear end teleport from mages, if it doesn't then who knows. maple story is a very mysterious game.

From what I understand it's got a larger distance. That's all I know

So is the control issue a result of 14 year old spaghetti code then?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

YES bread posted:

this game is so good

despite everything it's still the nexon i know and love

but yes i guarantee that's what the maintenance right now is for

quote:

So is the control issue a result of 14 year old spaghetti code then?

not really spaghetti code per se, just that's how it was designed way back when and they've never shown any inclination to change it

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012

Dryzen posted:

I got to 140 send help

I got 120 last night and I'm now farming Blackgate for equipment. That zone is kick rear end! Demon infested Neo-Tokyo with space marines? :hellyeah:

The gear that the bosses drop is pretty cool too.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

despite everything it's still the nexon i know and love

but yes i guarantee that's what the maintenance right now is for

not really spaghetti code per se, just that's how it was designed way back when and they've never shown any inclination to change it

It's that plus maplestory 2 is already in beta testing and will be released soon, so maplestory is definitely going to be on the back burner. It'll probably get some updates just because poo poo like lineage 1 still makes more money for ncsoft than anything else they make, but sweeping code changes probably won't happen. I wouldn't be surprised to find out reboot is their way of trying to turn maplestory into a diablo 3 style game with seasons and different rulesets and such, and really that's kind of awesome.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It's that plus maplestory 2 is already in beta testing and will be released soon, so maplestory is definitely going to be on the back burner. It'll probably get some updates just because poo poo like lineage 1 still makes more money for ncsoft than anything else they make, but sweeping code changes probably won't happen. I wouldn't be surprised to find out reboot is their way of trying to turn maplestory into a diablo 3 style game with seasons and different rulesets and such, and really that's kind of awesome.

Maplestory 2 came out in Korea on July 7th. KMS1 is getting a big new update right now, containing the second blockbuster, which is about the Heroes. Also, Aran and Evan got complete remakes in a patch last month and both look great. Supposedly there's a new resistance Warrior class coming out later this or next month, presumably Damien or a new Demon branch?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Is it going to be the kinesis? I see a lot of people talking about it, and I think it's already out in kms.

It helps when I mention that, for MS, I don't consider a new class as a huge change, but I do consider things like big UI changes and that maple life minigame thing to be huge changes. With the art assets for maplestory being 2d it's much easier to make really good looking spell effects and things like that, so I expect them to keep making cool classes and story updates for a long time. It's actually in a pretty good spot for something like the reboot server, I really hope they keep doing more things like it.

edit: although now that I think about it, I would consider Reboot's new server a huge change too, and they'd be nuts not to do things like it again.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 5, 2015

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Completely unable to launch the game for 2 days now.

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012

Fano posted:

Completely unable to launch the game for 2 days now.

Server is up now.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I haven't played an archer since yeeeaars ago back on Windia, but since they're my go-to class for a new MMO, so I've made one on Reboot. I know a couple of the changes since I've hopped on the game every now and then to play with some of the special classes, but not much. I'll say having a dash finally is really really nice.

I'm having trouble deciding between hunter and crowssbowman though. Is it still the mess where crossbowmen skills look cooler but hunters are just plain better?

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012

Tyty posted:

I haven't played an archer since yeeeaars ago back on Windia, but since they're my go-to class for a new MMO, so I've made one on Reboot. I know a couple of the changes since I've hopped on the game every now and then to play with some of the special classes, but not much. I'll say having a dash finally is really really nice.

I'm having trouble deciding between hunter and crowssbowman though. Is it still the mess where crossbowmen skills look cooler but hunters are just plain better?

I donno, but I hear that crossbows get a damage boost when farther away or something though. Hunters shoot really quick (as do ever other bow user in the game). I haven't actually seen a Marksman on Reboot yet for what it's worth.

Also, seriously, when they said "more HP" they meant more HP. I hit 150 and suddenly killing everything 150+ is like taking down a mini boss. I can't wait until they fix the drop tables and put familiars back in outside momijigaoka because I need a free source of MP. Hayato guzzles more mp potions than a frat goes through natty light.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Is it going to be the kinesis? I see a lot of people talking about it, and I think it's already out in kms.

It helps when I mention that, for MS, I don't consider a new class as a huge change, but I do consider things like big UI changes and that maple life minigame thing to be huge changes. With the art assets for maplestory being 2d it's much easier to make really good looking spell effects and things like that, so I expect them to keep making cool classes and story updates for a long time. It's actually in a pretty good spot for something like the reboot server, I really hope they keep doing more things like it.

edit: although now that I think about it, I would consider Reboot's new server a huge change too, and they'd be nuts not to do things like it again.

I should have been more clear, but the new Resistance Warrior class is for KMS.

GMS is getting Kinesis later this month, and that looks really cool, so I'm excited for it! Don't forget to reserve your gift box!

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

2x drop time + more boss drops from reboot, that's a lotta poo poo

i mean most of it is that, poo poo, but hey

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

is there a breakdown of all the characters you want to eventually wind up making because of character synergies

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone else having trouble logging in? I get to the world selection screen, but there's no worlds on the list, and I get booted out after a minute or so. I'm using the steam client if it helps.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Guild is up! Search for GoonSquad in the guild menu. It's led by OfIceAndMen, if you need more details to tell which one it is.

Stool Sample posted:

Is anyone else having trouble logging in? I get to the world selection screen, but there's no worlds on the list, and I get booted out after a minute or so. I'm using the steam client if it helps.

Try again after x2 when servers aren't exploding? Or launch from the folder instead of through Steam. Bio, help!!!

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Finally got it to work, got to level 49 before stopping tonight, will look up the guild when I get home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Does it matter what you kill for equipment drops anymore? Do all mobs have a chance of dropping appropriate weapons for you?

• Locked thread