Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slouch
Mar 10, 2009

do people actually party up and train together in the reboot server or is it still super lonely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

slouch posted:

do people actually party up and train together in the reboot server or is it still super lonely?

you tell pepople to gently caress off and then they bring their guild to ks you and they get really angry

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012

slouch posted:

I haven't seen people doing so, but they really should in the mid 100's+. Monster HP is so high that I'm constantly thinking that I'd probably be better off with at least one other person on the map.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Any up to date resources on things like skill builds and such?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

slouch posted:

I went from 70 to 81 with a random fire/poison mage. Then I said we should go kill bunnies and he didn't want to, so we split up.

Holding out for my fire/poison friend to one day return.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tempting to jump back in. Furthest I've gotten on a legit server is about 70. How is Reboot holding up?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Reboot is fun. I got from 1 to 93 on a cannonneer with no idea what I was doing in about... 5-6 hours? My highest level character was a 105 demon Slayer so its pretty different an experience.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Reboot is fun. I got from 1 to 93 on a cannonneer with no idea what I was doing in about... 5-6 hours? My highest level character was a 105 demon Slayer so its pretty different an experience.

The Sizzling Santa event isn't permanent, and it can only be applied to one character to event period, but regular burning events aren't rare. They go from 1-100 instead of 33-150, but still good for Link Skill mules!

Later on, I assume the lack of triple levels will be somewhat mitigated by the lack of 5 people in every best-in-level range leveling map.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I'm having a good time shredding through enemies as a Kanna. I really like the flavor of the class. It's weird, Reboot is a default server but it feels like it has the pace of some private servers I've played on. Really glad a lot of the cash-shop bullshit is gone, but I'm still gonna have to setup a controller...You can find me in game as AkiraHokuto if anyone wants to level before the guild is made. I also have a Cannoneer KairiHojo but I haven't leveled her yet.

Am I doing the right thing opening up those santa boxes? It seems like all they do is give me buffs and amazing items.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Speaking of controllers, I was sad that my steam controlled seemed incompatible with the game, my old 360 controller got chewed up and so I no longer have it to play maple with.

If anyone has a steam controller and has managed to get it set up to work with Maplestory, I would love to hear how, as things like joy2key don't seem to work with it.

e: I have applied to the guild as FanoTheNoob

Fano fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 6, 2015

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

is there a "help im an idiot baby and literally need my hand held for everything because i haven't played this poo poo in 9 years" post somewhere

this game is a goddamn void of excess now even on reboot

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
Please let me join the guild, my awesome name is Derfus in game thanks.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Just requested guild invite on Anithera.

Currently 24 Kanna..probably gonna check out the Christmas stuff soon. Game UI is making me mad every time I play, but I'll get over it eventually.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Where are the translucent hats in reboot? I can't do any emotes with this goofy Valefor hat on.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Electric Lady posted:

I'm having a good time shredding through enemies as a Kanna. I really like the flavor of the class. It's weird, Reboot is a default server but it feels like it has the pace of some private servers I've played on. Really glad a lot of the cash-shop bullshit is gone, but I'm still gonna have to setup a controller...You can find me in game as AkiraHokuto if anyone wants to level before the guild is made. I also have a Cannoneer KairiHojo but I haven't leveled her yet.

Am I doing the right thing opening up those santa boxes? It seems like all they do is give me buffs and amazing items.

Silento posted:

Guild is up! Search for GoonSquad in the guild menu. It's led by OfIceAndMen, if you need more details to tell which one it is.

Okay guys, guild is like 80% full now prob! So go kill Zakum and Hilla and poo poo in a party! Thx!

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Electric Lady posted:

yes, open your heart out. the reboot coin vendor is in the event hall (teleport there from the dimensional mirror) and has a LOT of cool stuff, like gear/item slot expansions/damage skins

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

YES bread posted:

yes, open your heart out. the reboot coin vendor is in the event hall (teleport there from the dimensional mirror) and has a LOT of cool stuff, like gear/item slot expansions/damage skins

The things that caught my eye were 8-slot expansion coupons for 100 each and mastery books for 20 and 30 each. I'm liking reboot but I'll likely keep playing on my Scania characters, so I'll likely be spending a lot more time over the next week or two on Scania farming some coins :stare:

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012
Sent a guild join request as myHANZOsteel.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Requested to join the guild with my Assassin SmugSpectre.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Gonna request for the guild as Litsha in a second

Also :argh: whoever took the name LiteralShade, or all the other LiteralX names I wanted

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Gonna request for the guild as Litsha in a second

Also :argh: whoever took the name LiteralShade, or all the other LiteralX names I wanted

If you wanted to be super spergy, you could use "univocally" or "univocal" instead.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
Applying to the guild as Zwiebelfisch, assuming there's still room.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Do lots of bosses. Don't put alts in unless you plan to do lots of bosses on them that moment! The guild is earning its way upwards, but it's a bit of a grind for now.

I got my main to 120, and have a question:

I made a Demon, and it instantly made me a Slayer. Can I not start as an Avenger? When does that split happen?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I thought you were just a generic "demon" until you leave the starting area?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Fano posted:

Speaking of controllers, I was sad that my steam controlled seemed incompatible with the game, my old 360 controller got chewed up and so I no longer have it to play maple with.

If anyone has a steam controller and has managed to get it set up to work with Maplestory, I would love to hear how, as things like joy2key don't seem to work with it.

e: I have applied to the guild as FanoTheNoob

Try running joy2key ot xpadder with admin privileges if you haven't tried that yet.

Lux Aeterna posted:

is there a "help im an idiot baby and literally need my hand held for everything because i haven't played this poo poo in 9 years" post somewhere

this game is a goddamn void of excess now even on reboot

Do your job advancements, maybe grind out some levels, maybe do some quests from the lightbulb on the left side of your screen???

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

After playing again for a while, I feel like Nexon threw the baby out with the bathwater with a lot of their changes. They've streamlined a lot of systems, but got rid of some really cool things along with the bad. For example, Grendel the Really Old used to be at the top of Ellinia, which sucked because it was hard to get to, but it was cool because it had a grand status to it. They fixed it by putting it into the middle of the map, but that got rid of the cool effect it created.

After coming back after a few years I feel that way about fourth job. The intent was that you'd go around fighting different bosses and doing quests to unlock and upgrade skills. I really liked the idea, because it tied skill progression to a narrative. The quests and bosses were overly difficult, though, so people suffered through their terrible quests and bought their skill books. Instead of fixing that system with better quests and making bosses more accessible, they put two generic skill books in a store that upgrade every skill.

Basically Nexon optimized the game to make it more fun, and succeeded in that, but they did it in such a heavy-handed way they got rid of a lot of stuff I loved about it.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

After playing again for a while, I feel like Nexon threw the baby out with the bathwater with a lot of their changes. They've streamlined a lot of systems, but got rid of some really cool things along with the bad. For example, Grendel the Really Old used to be at the top of Ellinia, which sucked because it was hard to get to, but it was cool because it had a grand status to it. They fixed it by putting it into the middle of the map, but that got rid of the cool effect it created.

After coming back after a few years I feel that way about fourth job. The intent was that you'd go around fighting different bosses and doing quests to unlock and upgrade skills. I really liked the idea, because it tied skill progression to a narrative. The quests and bosses were overly difficult, though, so people suffered through their terrible quests and bought their skill books. Instead of fixing that system with better quests and making bosses more accessible, they put two generic skill books in a store that upgrade every skill.

Basically Nexon optimized the game to make it more fun, and succeeded in that, but they did it in such a heavy-handed way they got rid of a lot of stuff I loved about it.

I agree with you on this, the world used to have this grand feel to it, I remember especially the first time I took the boat to Orbis and how big of an adventure that was, now I can just go to the nearest town and click on my UI to teleport to a town that would have otherwise taken me maybe a half hour of traveling to get to, which was annoying but it made the world feel big, it had a certain charm to it. This is also true with quests now, where half of them seem to automatically transport me to where I need to go and give me free exp instead of making me do the hard work.

Now it's just a rush to the end game, there is a lot of well fleshed out content in between that has now been rendered useless by the new exp curve.

1st Job took me less than an hour to get through this time around, I remember a long time ago on my very first character getting my second job advancement was a ~Big Deal~ among my group of friends.

Not that I want the game to be more of a grind (again), it's probably just the nostalgia goggles.

Fano fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 7, 2015

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Yeah, having to afk for an hour to get to where you wanted to be, grinding the same monsters in the same map for 10+ levels, 10+ hours per level and being able to more or less irreversably gently caress up your character sure was fun when I was 14 and hated myself! :thumbsup:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I thought you were just a generic "demon" until you leave the starting area?

It might be because I skipped the tutorial then. I already have a 120 demon Slayer on scania so I wanted to skip the story sections I already did. I guess that makes you automatically a slayer?

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Arzachel posted:

Do your job advancements, maybe grind out some levels, maybe do some quests from the lightbulb on the left side of your screen???

yeah i guess the question is "did they remove literally every reason to quest in this game for the first 150 levels outside of just doing PQs or killing thousands of mobs"?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lux Aeterna posted:

yeah i guess the question is "did they remove literally every reason to quest in this game for the first 150 levels outside of just doing PQs or killing thousands of mobs"?

Generally questing can be a good way to get levels and go to where you should be at your level. However, with sizzling wants giving 3 levels for every 1 and double xp going on, you will outlevel quests very. Very quickly.

Use the Maple Guide to see what areas you should be around to grind, it will also tell you what Theme Dungeons are at your level.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Arzachel posted:

Yeah, having to afk for an hour to get to where you wanted to be, grinding the same monsters in the same map for 10+ levels, 10+ hours per level and being able to more or less irreversably gently caress up your character sure was fun when I was 14 and hated myself! :thumbsup:

Like I said, the game is way better now than when I was in middle school and had infinite time to gently caress around, I don't want to go back to the days where I was happy to get 25% xp per hour at level 80, but there are ways to solve those problems without trampling over the good ideas that were there.

Another example, making the player actually travel to Ossyria, when everything on Victoria was accessible by walking, made them feel like separate worlds. That was cool! The ship leaving at a specific time also made it so players would group together on trips, so the downtime during the trip was meant for player to interact with one another. I actually really like this design, because it does a lot to make the world feel more real and alive, which I think is important for an MMO.

The problem was there was no way around it (outside cash-shop items) and back then you were expected to travel between continents a LOT. Every continent had mobs range between 30-100 and getting between them meant multiple ship rides, which was terrible. Want to advance to the third job? Travel to El Nath, then back to Victoria, then back to El Nath. Have fun spending two hours waiting for ships because you got there at 9:57 and spent two minutes deciding what in your etc you wanted to drop to buy a ticket, but now it's 9:59 and you can't board anymore. They solved this by making it so they player can warp to wherever they need to be at their level, but a more nuanced solution could have retained the benefit of a slow-travel system.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

They solved this by making it so they player can warp to wherever they need to be at their level, but a more nuanced solution could have retained the benefit of a slow-travel system.

What would be your system

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

:toot:

:confuoot:

Not a bad start! Add in my 15% int emblem and things are going well! :unsmith:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silento posted:

Not a bad start! Add in my 15% int emblem and things are going well! :unsmith:

do you wanna go beat up normal ht this afternoon

oh also the ninja castle is open and exists, i think they only closed it in kms though, because even on reboot the mobs have no hp and don't exclusively drop your class's stuff

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

What would be your system

Probably something similar to Bethesda's fast travel system, where once you've discovered a location you can warp there whenever you'd like. That could either just be literally opening the world map and clicking on a place and selecting "travel" or purchasing untradeable return-to-place scrolls that work cross-continent. Basically it'd require the player to travel to a place once, but if they've been there before they can get there any time.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I played over 600 hours of old MS, I really like the all the changes they made so I spend less time traveling and more time killing cute things. Plus not having to worry about screwing up your build is nice.

The new Hermit moves are pretty cool. I finally have a way to handle mobs!

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I actually didn't mind having to travel everywhere all the time in old MS.

I especially liked the concept of the Flying Balrog appear in the orbis ship every now and then.

But I guess I'm in the minority.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just applied to GoonSquad on my Xbowman Vespidae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

Probably something similar to Bethesda's fast travel system, where once you've discovered a location you can warp there whenever you'd like. That could either just be literally opening the world map and clicking on a place and selecting "travel" or purchasing untradeable return-to-place scrolls that work cross-continent. Basically it'd require the player to travel to a place once, but if they've been there before they can get there any time.

That'd be okay, as long as they changed the airships to make a return trip of like 5 minutes. It was neat to have balrog attack the airship back when nobody could even fight the thing, but now you just go inside and afk for half an hour until you're there, so why bother with the super long airship rides?

• Locked thread