Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fano
Oct 20, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

That'd be okay, as long as they changed the airships to make a return trip of like 5 minutes. It was neat to have balrog attack the airship back when nobody could even fight the thing, but now you just go inside and afk for half an hour until you're there, so why bother with the super long airship rides?

There's no reason to bother currently, but I think there should be a reason to, fix the boring parts of the game by making them interesting instead of just giving players a way to skip it entirely and completely undermine what used to be a pretty significant portion of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fano posted:

There's no reason to bother currently, but I think there should be a reason to, fix the boring parts of the game by making them interesting instead of just giving players a way to skip it entirely and completely undermine what used to be a pretty significant portion of the game.

Honestly, when the significant portion of the game you're undermining is waiting around or going afk for half an hour or more, it's a good thing. Sometimes you really need to sit down and think about what it really is, and just because it was a significant portion doesn't mean it was worth anything.

That's not to say the new system is perfect, and there's definitely a disjointed feeling about the game when you're teleporting from forests with magical mushroom people to lego castles to evil mines of undead with no context, but that's a problem that's solvable without trying to go back to the old way.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
As someone who played MS on and off since 2005, what the gently caress is this reboot server poo poo? It looks loving amazing and takes out everything I didnt like about MS? Am I missing something here?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Honestly, when the significant portion of the game you're undermining is waiting around or going afk for half an hour or more, it's a good thing. Sometimes you really need to sit down and think about what it really is, and just because it was a significant portion doesn't mean it was worth anything.

That's not to say the new system is perfect, and there's definitely a disjointed feeling about the game when you're teleporting from forests with magical mushroom people to lego castles to evil mines of undead with no context, but that's a problem that's solvable without trying to go back to the old way.

Yeah we're on the same page, I'm not advocating going back to how it was, I just don't like that I can teleport literally anywhere, regardless of how useful it is.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
how i missed you

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012
I'd say that there isn't enough teleporting. Hyper teleport rocks, or at least its effect, should be open for use at all times for free.

I remember when the game was just Victoria Island and it was a sheer exercise in boredom trying to travel anywhere even with a inventory full of town teleport scrolls. Even worse was when you wanted to grind Tauromacis or whatever at the bottom of Sleepywood dungeon for 40+ hours for .1% of a level. That was one hell of an annoyingly long trip, jesus. You could shorten it by paying the VIP taxi its blood money, but ain't nobody had mesos for that. When they added in Orbis with that stupid airship, they just made it worse.

I know that all the games during that time period did that (I'm looking at you FFXI and the damned airships/ferries) but it doesn't make it a good idea. You can't even argue the social aspect because after the first week Orbis came out, everyone just afk'd in the ship hold to avoid getting one shot by Crimson Barlog. Hell, to this day I still hate that I have to wait if I do take an airship. I honestly wish I could just pay them more mesos to just skip the enforced, single person chatroom/loading screen. I've got genocide to commit.

Nostalgia goggles are a hell of a thing, but even my 15 year old brain thought it was a bad thing then and I'm one of those masochists that soloed Beastmaster to 75 in FFXI before CoP.

If it gets in the way of actually playing the game, it's gotta go.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

AppliedPhilosophy posted:

I honestly wish I could just pay them more mesos to just skip the enforced, single person chatroom/loading screen. I've got genocide to commit.

You kinda can do this now. Victoria -> Ereve/Edelstein, Ereve -> Orbis/Edelstein is a lot faster than taking the boat. Getting to Ludi or Nihal still sucks though. Quest chains would be a much better way to show off the game world than crippling travel options.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Well, I downloaded the game again, but what the hell happened to the font? Anything coming from an NPC on that white background is so blurry that half the time I can't even read it. I've tried changing my resolutions and enabling and disabling fullscreen, but neither seem to help. What gives?

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 8, 2015

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Reboot is going to draw me in again.

Sad that they still haven't fixed actually getting around after all these years though :sigh:

e: Oh you can buy Hyper Teleport rocks with mesos. That works!

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 8, 2015

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Umbreon posted:

Well, I downloaded the game again, but what the hell happened to the font? Anything coming from an NPC on that white background is so blurry that half the time I can't even read it. I've tried changing my resolutions and enabling and disabling fullscreen, but neither seem to help. What gives?

If it's just the font, you can try disabling true type and or edge smoothing in windows settings.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Getting around now is hella easy, at least between big towns. Friendstory to henesys, quick travel to boat station, down to pantheon portal, pantheon to anywhere else.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I would argue that grinding on the same map for hours and hours (regardless of how hard/easy the exp curve is) is the bigger crime as opposed to the long travel times between maps. I guess I'm just not about the min-maxing and I like to just mindless wander through the maps and looking at the different areas while hunting for gear, so I don't mind travel.

but to each his own.

Arzachel posted:

You kinda can do this now. Victoria -> Ereve/Edelstein, Ereve -> Orbis/Edelstein is a lot faster than taking the boat. Getting to Ludi or Nihal still sucks though. Quest chains would be a much better way to show off the game world than crippling travel options.
Quest chains are great imo, but currently a lot of the quests just instantly teleport you to the next npc you have to talk to instead of making you travel, so they aren't really showing off the world either.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Arzachel posted:

If it's just the font, you can try disabling true type and or edge smoothing in windows settings.

No dice on either, they dont seem to affect the font ingame at all. Is there anything else you know of?

funbar
Jan 1, 2008
I told myself I'd never reinstall GMS again after trying out a certain v.62 private server, but reboot hype has drawn me in again.

Looking for a guild invite please, IGN: Killy

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Reboot is pretty great, especially with this Sizzling Santa event going on. I started last Friday, and I'm already Level 120 just playing 1-2 hours a day.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
Reboot is fun but sometimes I get really lost as to how I am supposed to level. Do I just grind? Does every range have a quest line? I haven't played MS in years so back then it was just grind out mobs for weeks.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

teknologik posted:

Reboot is fun but sometimes I get really lost as to how I am supposed to level. Do I just grind? Does every range have a quest line? I haven't played MS in years so back then it was just grind out mobs for weeks.

There's a handy guide button under the mini map that shows you all the content within your level range. I've found in general even areas that are "hunting" and not bosses, party quests, or theme dungeons will have some quests around town. Everything else will have pretty obvious quests to go along with them.

Something I really like about modern Maple is how well they've consolidated levels. It feels much more organic entering an area taking some quests in the town, killing some monsters, and by the time I finish those quests I'm about ready to head on to the next town. At least, I assume that's how it would be if I didn't immediately outlevel most the game's content :v:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
GoonSquad on Reboot is full, apparently. :negative:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

We can almost expand!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I have 40 mules on goonsquad

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Check out the soon-to-be latest KMS class, EXPLODEMcPunchmans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr7f0yGqYuw :ssj:
Hopefully Max will have info up soon, and I'm sure a 4th job video will be on Spadows before long.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've been mucking about a bit on Reboot but I keep having the problem I always have with this game.

I can't commit to one class and keep making a billion characters in an indecisive clusterfuck. I did take the sizzling santa buff on my Sniper at least which is sitting around level 75 for now, so I guess that's something.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Silento posted:

Check out the soon-to-be latest KMS class, EXPLODEMcPunchmans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr7f0yGqYuw :ssj:
Hopefully Max will have info up soon, and I'm sure a 4th job video will be on Spadows before long.

punch-gun chamber ui :shittypop:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've been mucking about a bit on Reboot but I keep having the problem I always have with this game.

I can't commit to one class and keep making a billion characters in an indecisive clusterfuck. I did take the sizzling santa buff on my Sniper at least which is sitting around level 75 for now, so I guess that's something.

Just pick one and stick with it, you'll be better off in the long run.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Mill Village posted:

Just pick one and stick with it, you'll be better off in the long run.

It took me 55 levels to get to ardent mill and realize that hayato was a bad idea for my first char in the reboot server. :smith:

Are the Explorer classes still good?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Explorers are more or less in a good spot right now. Some are faring better than others but they are all on pretty good footing with non-explorer jobs. I hear Night Lords aren't faring too spectacularly though, but that's just stuff I've heard through the grapevine so other people who've been playing more regularly can answer better.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
nl is having issues on reboot because they really suffer from being unfunded

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

sword_man.gif posted:

nl is having issues on reboot because they really suffer from being unfunded

What about shads?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Umbreon posted:

What about shads?

dunno. probably less than nl due to not loving attack as much and not having to farm your own stars

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
As someone who played back when Hermits were big poo poo and nobody cared about wizards: I'm glad :colbert:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Explorers are more or less in a good spot right now. Some are faring better than others but they are all on pretty good footing with non-explorer jobs. I hear Night Lords aren't faring too spectacularly though, but that's just stuff I've heard through the grapevine so other people who've been playing more regularly can answer better.

Level 129 Nightlord at the moment. I seem to be fairing quite well. Enemies die pretty fast, and I have decent ways (Showdown, Shadow Shifter) to avoid taking damage.

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012

Umbreon posted:

It took me 55 levels to get to ardent mill and realize that hayato was a bad idea for my first char in the reboot server. :smith:

Are the Explorer classes still good?

I'm like 165 Hayato. Still haven't learned my lesson (I only hold down the attack key until everything dies; Shinsoku for bosses. Seriously, don't play Hayato on Reboot).

I'm excited for piledriver-explode-fists! It's 110% my type of class!

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Archers used to be the weakest class and now they're pretty dope, so I'm quite happy.

I don't think I've played a class that wasn't a Bowman or a Battle Mage though, I should probably branch out at some point.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
I can't believe I'm installing this goddamn game again. Why did Nexon have to do something right?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

LightningSquid posted:

I can't believe I'm installing this goddamn game again. Why did Nexon have to do something right?

I literally said that out loud while I was redownloading it. It's the smartest move I've ever seen a game company make.

Private servers stealing your playerbase? gently caress wasting money on tons of C&Ds, just your own private server!

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

with the success of reboot you'd have to imagine a progression server or something is in the works

Suck-A-Sage
Nov 11, 2008
Re-made an Aran as my main on reboot. It's good to see they're still lagging behind in terms of updates.
I miss my wolf underlying familiar and perm hyper rock :(

Scrimsax
Nov 29, 2014
My only hope is that after all this daily server maintenance ends, they'll make a second world for Reboot, it is waaaaay too packed for my liking right now. My poor gunslinger isn't flashy enough yet to keep up with Kannas and Knights i keep getting stuck sharing maps with.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Suck-A-Sage posted:

Re-made an Aran as my main on reboot. It's good to see they're still lagging behind in terms of updates.
I miss my wolf underlying familiar and perm hyper rock :(

Aran and the other heroes are in the process of getting major revamps in Korea so it'll all come here in like six months or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Looks like we are getting some Kinesis buffs rolled out with GMS launch. good stuff if true, the class looks interesting but was apparently garbo on initial release

• Locked thread