Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Never understood the hype for this game, but new flashy server adding more goon hype has me intrigued. I am gonna create a character to see what all the hoopla is about. Which class is closest to a dark magic caster? (Warlock/Necro theme)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

YES bread posted:

Kanna definitely has a lot of spooky looking spells, including one that lowers mob respawn time on a map. I get the feeling it will come in handy if the servers ever come back up

Sounds good. Guess I'll pick this class up. Do you have to be a female for this? Or is the example given in the OP just...an example?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

So I am level 18 so far after doing like 5 quests or something. I feel like the UI is terrible in this game. I really dislike it. The controls are weird too. For example the Ether Pulse ability that my Kanna has which teleports me..it says to press an arrow key in the direction you wish to teleport. The problem with this is the distance I teleport seems to vary greatly. In addition, sometimes I can teleport up and sometimes I can't (only trying where there are levels to move to).

I am assuming all the crazy flashy abilities come as I level up? Is that was the second, third, fourth job stuff is all about?

Is there a way to steam mod the game to make it 1920x1080 without creating garbage pixels? If not is there a way to increase the scale of the UI elements when using the 1366x768 (or whatever it is) resolution?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

sword_man.gif posted:

they've changed the ui over time but the controls are what they are cause this game is, at this point, at least 14 years old. i'm not going to defend it but that's why it's that way.

teleports have a fixed distance (they used to say the distance but it was so ridiculously vague with "teleport a distance of 100" that who cares) which is why sometimes you can't teleport up through a platform. they can also dislike height changes if you're teleporting horizontally.

this is assuming kanna's teleport works like regular rear end teleport from mages, if it doesn't then who knows. maple story is a very mysterious game.

From what I understand it's got a larger distance. That's all I know

So is the control issue a result of 14 year old spaghetti code then?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Just requested guild invite on Anithera.

Currently 24 Kanna..probably gonna check out the Christmas stuff soon. Game UI is making me mad every time I play, but I'll get over it eventually.

• Locked thread