Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fano
Oct 20, 2010
gonna try to make a bowmaster on the reboot server when I get home, it's going to feel weird coming back to this game after so many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Is there a guild in reboot yet? currently downloading.

e: game is not launching on Windows 10, welp.

Fano fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 3, 2015

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I figured the game will at least launch or show an error message? Or do servers being overloaded/maintenance now means that literally nothing happens when I click Play?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Ah, good old Nexon.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Today I was able to launch the game (after a restart) and create my character.

Client crashed shortly after, and now I can't launch again.

Are the servers still having issues? I seem to be the only one unable to get the client to open up consistently. Is there anything in windows 10 that could be causing a compatibility issue?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Completely unable to launch the game for 2 days now.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Finally got it to work, got to level 49 before stopping tonight, will look up the guild when I get home

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Any up to date resources on things like skill builds and such?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Speaking of controllers, I was sad that my steam controlled seemed incompatible with the game, my old 360 controller got chewed up and so I no longer have it to play maple with.

If anyone has a steam controller and has managed to get it set up to work with Maplestory, I would love to hear how, as things like joy2key don't seem to work with it.

e: I have applied to the guild as FanoTheNoob

Fano fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 6, 2015

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

After playing again for a while, I feel like Nexon threw the baby out with the bathwater with a lot of their changes. They've streamlined a lot of systems, but got rid of some really cool things along with the bad. For example, Grendel the Really Old used to be at the top of Ellinia, which sucked because it was hard to get to, but it was cool because it had a grand status to it. They fixed it by putting it into the middle of the map, but that got rid of the cool effect it created.

After coming back after a few years I feel that way about fourth job. The intent was that you'd go around fighting different bosses and doing quests to unlock and upgrade skills. I really liked the idea, because it tied skill progression to a narrative. The quests and bosses were overly difficult, though, so people suffered through their terrible quests and bought their skill books. Instead of fixing that system with better quests and making bosses more accessible, they put two generic skill books in a store that upgrade every skill.

Basically Nexon optimized the game to make it more fun, and succeeded in that, but they did it in such a heavy-handed way they got rid of a lot of stuff I loved about it.

I agree with you on this, the world used to have this grand feel to it, I remember especially the first time I took the boat to Orbis and how big of an adventure that was, now I can just go to the nearest town and click on my UI to teleport to a town that would have otherwise taken me maybe a half hour of traveling to get to, which was annoying but it made the world feel big, it had a certain charm to it. This is also true with quests now, where half of them seem to automatically transport me to where I need to go and give me free exp instead of making me do the hard work.

Now it's just a rush to the end game, there is a lot of well fleshed out content in between that has now been rendered useless by the new exp curve.

1st Job took me less than an hour to get through this time around, I remember a long time ago on my very first character getting my second job advancement was a ~Big Deal~ among my group of friends.

Not that I want the game to be more of a grind (again), it's probably just the nostalgia goggles.

Fano fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 7, 2015

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I actually didn't mind having to travel everywhere all the time in old MS.

I especially liked the concept of the Flying Balrog appear in the orbis ship every now and then.

But I guess I'm in the minority.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

That'd be okay, as long as they changed the airships to make a return trip of like 5 minutes. It was neat to have balrog attack the airship back when nobody could even fight the thing, but now you just go inside and afk for half an hour until you're there, so why bother with the super long airship rides?

There's no reason to bother currently, but I think there should be a reason to, fix the boring parts of the game by making them interesting instead of just giving players a way to skip it entirely and completely undermine what used to be a pretty significant portion of the game.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Honestly, when the significant portion of the game you're undermining is waiting around or going afk for half an hour or more, it's a good thing. Sometimes you really need to sit down and think about what it really is, and just because it was a significant portion doesn't mean it was worth anything.

That's not to say the new system is perfect, and there's definitely a disjointed feeling about the game when you're teleporting from forests with magical mushroom people to lego castles to evil mines of undead with no context, but that's a problem that's solvable without trying to go back to the old way.

Yeah we're on the same page, I'm not advocating going back to how it was, I just don't like that I can teleport literally anywhere, regardless of how useful it is.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I would argue that grinding on the same map for hours and hours (regardless of how hard/easy the exp curve is) is the bigger crime as opposed to the long travel times between maps. I guess I'm just not about the min-maxing and I like to just mindless wander through the maps and looking at the different areas while hunting for gear, so I don't mind travel.

but to each his own.

Arzachel posted:

You kinda can do this now. Victoria -> Ereve/Edelstein, Ereve -> Orbis/Edelstein is a lot faster than taking the boat. Getting to Ludi or Nihal still sucks though. Quest chains would be a much better way to show off the game world than crippling travel options.
Quest chains are great imo, but currently a lot of the quests just instantly teleport you to the next npc you have to talk to instead of making you travel, so they aren't really showing off the world either.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Archers used to be the weakest class and now they're pretty dope, so I'm quite happy.

I don't think I've played a class that wasn't a Bowman or a Battle Mage though, I should probably branch out at some point.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I got to 156 on my bowmaster and got pretty bored afterwards, haven't logged in for the past few days. Game got pretty boring for me once quests stopped being worth it, or when the only thing that can really screw you is a boss that one hits you if you don't have enough HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I need to spend some time to figure out how to get my steam controller to recognize this game.

• Locked thread