Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Oh god why am I doing this

I have a friend playing through the secret world for the first time, I just picked up elite:dangerous and lords of the fallen, but here I am

downloading maplestory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgfybCivh8U

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Obscurity posted:

Never understood the hype for this game, but new flashy server adding more goon hype has me intrigued. I am gonna create a character to see what all the hoopla is about. Which class is closest to a dark magic caster? (Warlock/Necro theme)

the game's a little light-hearted for proper necromancy, and I don't think there are many pet classes outside of like Evan, but animationwise they've got some neat looking dark magic stuff. I always liked the way Kanna turned out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WMb0T3z2Fg

but the only way to choose is really to go through youtube videos and see if there are any animations you like

and don't skip out on the warrior type classes. I'd say start with kanna, kaiser, luminous, maybe evan, and the devil classes

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I love that this new ruleset server has hosed all of the servers for like 7 hours now

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Obscurity posted:

Sounds good. Guess I'll pick this class up. Do you have to be a female for this? Or is the example given in the OP just...an example?

In kanna's case you can choose, but for some of the other ones you're stuck with that character's gender. Angelic Buster comes to mind.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I don't even care if shade is the worst class in the game, pounding poo poo to death with a giant spirit is hilarious

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I tried to power through to 70 on mercedes for the link skill but she's just so drat boring.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

despite everything it's still the nexon i know and love

but yes i guarantee that's what the maintenance right now is for

not really spaghetti code per se, just that's how it was designed way back when and they've never shown any inclination to change it

It's that plus maplestory 2 is already in beta testing and will be released soon, so maplestory is definitely going to be on the back burner. It'll probably get some updates just because poo poo like lineage 1 still makes more money for ncsoft than anything else they make, but sweeping code changes probably won't happen. I wouldn't be surprised to find out reboot is their way of trying to turn maplestory into a diablo 3 style game with seasons and different rulesets and such, and really that's kind of awesome.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Is it going to be the kinesis? I see a lot of people talking about it, and I think it's already out in kms.

It helps when I mention that, for MS, I don't consider a new class as a huge change, but I do consider things like big UI changes and that maple life minigame thing to be huge changes. With the art assets for maplestory being 2d it's much easier to make really good looking spell effects and things like that, so I expect them to keep making cool classes and story updates for a long time. It's actually in a pretty good spot for something like the reboot server, I really hope they keep doing more things like it.

edit: although now that I think about it, I would consider Reboot's new server a huge change too, and they'd be nuts not to do things like it again.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 5, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Gonna request for the guild as Litsha in a second

Also :argh: whoever took the name LiteralShade, or all the other LiteralX names I wanted

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I thought you were just a generic "demon" until you leave the starting area?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

They solved this by making it so they player can warp to wherever they need to be at their level, but a more nuanced solution could have retained the benefit of a slow-travel system.

What would be your system

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

Probably something similar to Bethesda's fast travel system, where once you've discovered a location you can warp there whenever you'd like. That could either just be literally opening the world map and clicking on a place and selecting "travel" or purchasing untradeable return-to-place scrolls that work cross-continent. Basically it'd require the player to travel to a place once, but if they've been there before they can get there any time.

That'd be okay, as long as they changed the airships to make a return trip of like 5 minutes. It was neat to have balrog attack the airship back when nobody could even fight the thing, but now you just go inside and afk for half an hour until you're there, so why bother with the super long airship rides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Fano posted:

There's no reason to bother currently, but I think there should be a reason to, fix the boring parts of the game by making them interesting instead of just giving players a way to skip it entirely and completely undermine what used to be a pretty significant portion of the game.

Honestly, when the significant portion of the game you're undermining is waiting around or going afk for half an hour or more, it's a good thing. Sometimes you really need to sit down and think about what it really is, and just because it was a significant portion doesn't mean it was worth anything.

That's not to say the new system is perfect, and there's definitely a disjointed feeling about the game when you're teleporting from forests with magical mushroom people to lego castles to evil mines of undead with no context, but that's a problem that's solvable without trying to go back to the old way.

• Locked thread