Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

valdis story has a lot of good things going for it, the hit-stun is wildly annoying though and the combat will probably seem awkward until you get at least one of those scrolls that lets you cancel/dash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

also the grading bonus system is awful

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
boring realistic
military drab look

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao i didnt know it looked so lovely

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

01011001 posted:

also the grading bonus system is awful

what was bad about the grading? I dont remember it actually giving a bonus reward, just achievements

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Bobnumerotres posted:

lmao i didnt know it looked so lovely

I hear lots of people praising that game but I really can't wrap my brain aroun d it being good when it looks so boring and lovely. Games have to look good/have a good UI for me to really like them.. and that game looks like some turds from my rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It looks drab sure but it's fun to move around and shoot in. Some surprising cool spins on classic Metroidvania upgrades, and by the end of it you're a nuclear equipped mecha blasting around ag super sonic speeds. I liked it enough to beat it in one sitting and I would play it again someday if I still owned it

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

i cant remember if i actually beat shadow complex or if i forgot about it after getting the bonus ending where you get in a truck and leave halfway through

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lesbian baphomet posted:

i cant remember if i actually beat shadow complex or if i forgot about it after getting the bonus ending where you get in a truck and leave halfway through

I think its cool when games give you alternate endings like this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lesbian baphomet posted:

I think this is like 15 minutes in

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

After your GF gets kidnapped you can turn around and get back in your truck and the guy says Eh plenty more fish in the sea and the game ends.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Larry Parrish posted:

I think its cool when games give you alternate endings like this.

you can beat far cry 4 in like 10 minutes if you just sit around at the bad guys dinner table at the beginning I think. he's just like okay let's go do the thing your here to do. roll credits

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In Training posted:

I think this is like 15 minutes in

its a lot farther than that, or at least i didnt go to the truck until way after you're first able to, since i had at least half the upgrades in the game

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

After your GF gets kidnapped you can turn around and get back in your truck and the guy says Eh plenty more fish in the sea and the game ends.

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

this rules actually

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive had it installed forever and i think its about time i tried this bad boy

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

everything about this game is very odd and sketchy feeling. story is super goofy and idk if i like it or not yet

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

it was an early Xbox Live Arcade release so its in that weird middle space of being a lower-budget game that isnt really indie. its cool that they made it as good as it is

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the outside areas honestly look good, very pretty. theres just a lot of bizarre little design choices but ill chalk that up to the low budget, the world is fun to explore.

i wish i took a screenshot but after you complete the tutorial area and get some basic upgrades, there's a little pop-up that reads "hey, before moving on go back and see if you can find 2 health upgrade, 2 ammo upgrades and a key piece with your new stuff!" and i did the picard facepalm

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

i remember thinking it was really cool how well they mixed wide open outdoor segments with the really structured facility exploration. i mean its basically just a row of rooms on the top of the map but its still a good feeling when you get out on the surface and access new areas from there

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Haha

Dec 26, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

what was bad about the grading? I dont remember it actually giving a bonus reward, just achievements

you do get mechanical bonuses for b/a/s rank

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

lesbian baphomet posted:

if you get a C or D ranking I think you only get like one regular enemy's worth of XP which can gently caress you up pretty bad

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bobnumerotres posted:

everything about this game is very odd and sketchy feeling. story is super goofy and idk if i like it or not yet

the story is exceptionally bad. i wouldn't take it too seriously

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I skipped all the cutscenes so I don't actually know what happened

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
a shadow conspiracy of evil liberals are planning to start a second american civil war, starting by assassinating the vice president, kidnapping your girlfriend, and then destroying san francisco with a flying aircraft carrier armed with nuclear missiles. you blow up the carrier and save your girlfriend, who was a NSA spy all along.

later, the liberals assassinate the president and start a civil war anyway.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

lesbian baphomet posted:

you get some pretty major benefits for A or S ranking bosses, like bonus levels or ability points and the like. it's not a big enough difference to keep you from beating the game or anything, but you'll be significantly weaker if you don't aim for the higher ranks

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

in retrospect, then, i am glad i started going for no-hit S-ranks after the second or third boss

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Is anyone gonna buy song of the deep.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wanted to love Axiom Verge but drat did that game get annoying. Somebody want to spoil the ending for me? Is it one of those "an alternate version of you was the bad guy all along" type deals?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I wanted to love Axiom Verge but drat did that game get annoying. Somebody want to spoil the ending for me? Is it one of those "an alternate version of you was the bad guy all along" type deals?

literally an alternate version of you was the bad guy all along

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fiction posted:

Is anyone gonna buy song of the deep.

I'll wait a few days for reviews but I hope it's cool.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

lmfao

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

elf help book posted:

lol jesus christ

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

elf help book posted:

It's actually a bit less cut and dry. The PC is an old backup of Athetos but it's not clear that Athetos was actually the villain. I enjoyed Axiom Verge and there's probably going to be a sequel, but ESA was a better game from a hidden stuff standpoint. Way too many pointless weapons and stuff.

I love Valdis Story though. The boss rankings are important, but the boss fights are also pretty much the highlight of the game. While the first couple can be frustrating once you get used to the controls I find it to be a very enjoyable challenge.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
im playing the castlevania series. i did sotn 200.6 and finished aria last night. im playing dawn for the first time now. i dont like it anywhere near as much as aria or sotn. i rememer liking portrait of ruin a lot more as well.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

im playing the castlevania series. i did sotn 200.6 and finished aria last night. im playing dawn for the first time now. i dont like it anywhere near as much as aria or sotn. i rememer liking portrait of ruin a lot more as well.
Dawn is good when it gets going, give it a while. it was my first castlevania though so it might nt actually be as good as i remember

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i played it for a few hours but i dropped it and im playing ecclesia now instead. i love order of ecclesia

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I always imagined that this was the story behind the 2p versus mode in double dragon where Jimmy and Billy Lee decide one girl isn't important enough to fight a whole town of thugs and start their own underground blood sport arena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

i played it for a few hours but i dropped it and im playing ecclesia now instead. i love order of ecclesia

hell eyah

• Locked thread