Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
started playing esa. got stuck in the area where you get the teleporter key for about 15 minutes before I realized what you needed to do... very embarrassing.

game seems cool so far; I definitely see what people mean about there not being that many little scraps of hidden loot to find, but there are still plenty of secrets, just mostly stuff you work your way into and then find "oh, I clearly need more upgrades to get through here". a different feeling, but still interesting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
are there any FPSes that adopt this formula?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metroid Prime

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i need a gamecube...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can also play it on Wii or Wii U, although an actual Wii copy is super expensive I believe

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i still havent bought a wiimote for my wii u even though i want to play metroid prime and mario galaxy so bad

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

trying to jack off posted:

i still havent bought a wiimote for my wii u even though i want to play metroid prime and mario galaxy so bad

I finally got a wiimote to play Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Its ok.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i kind of want tto play muramasa but if i do i'll play it on vita courtesy of sony pstv at 480p

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Muramasa was a ps+ game once and I remember it being ok.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
It was Wii, then vita, but I only found out about it after I played Dragon's Crown so I'm catching up on WiiU. I like Vanillaware even if the gameplay isn't quite there.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

anyone that suggests buying a 3rd party remote or a used original wii remote instead of one with motion plus i will personally execute

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is motion plus anyway. Imp Zone told me I had to get those kind of wiimotes to play Metroid so I did, but why?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

its basically a better gyroscope that reads movement closer to a 1:1 ratio of what you actually did instead of just the direction movement.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ralp posted:

what is motion plus anyway. Imp Zone told me I had to get those kind of wiimotes to play Metroid so I did, but why?

You don't need a motion plus for any Metroid game. It only works for Skyward Sword, Wii Sports Resort and maybe a few other games. For any other game it just works like a normal wii remote.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't have the fancy controller when I beat RE4 on my sister's Wii. The aim was extremely precise, so IDK why Motion Plus even mattered. By the way I'm pretty sure playing it with the wiimote and nunchuk is cheating or something. It's so easy to get perfect headshots.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Motion Plus is good but I got the impression it only made any difference in the games that required it. I got it with Red Steel 2 because it was the same price as the motion plus on its own lol. That was a weird game because the basic sword combat is really fun and satisfying, you havce to carefully position your sword to block, parry and get around guards, then you get some special moves and you just have to use those forever because they’re better than the normal moves and there’s no point in using those anymore so you’re basically just pressing buttons and doing canned movements forever in a way that takes no advantage of the motion plus and is like every other bad Wii game ever. Also it was a late-2000s Ubisoft game so it was filled with horrible collectathon sidequests and they hadn’t even managed to make them relatively painless yet. That’s my opinion on Red Steel 2, the game nobody else played. peace

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Motion plus wouldn't make any difference to FPSes anyway as their aiming is done with the infra red pointer not the gyro.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i only have old wiimotes and can't play Skyward Sword, motionplus remotes cost like $90 over here. k i l l m e

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Wasn't there a motionplus attachment for the regular remote?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Caithness posted:

Wasn't there a motionplus attachment for the regular remote?

Yeah

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Someone should literally make Metroidvania. Samus running around in draculas castle game

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh, maybe they just told me to get that because I might as well get the better versions then. The wiimotes I bought are third party and have been good but the third party nunchucks are garbage. I ordered a Nintendo one and it's a hundred times better.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aston posted:

Motion plus wouldn't make any difference to FPSes anyway as their aiming is done with the infra red pointer not the gyro.

Well, MP3 also has the stuff like yanking away shields with the grapple beam and pulling and turning those door locks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really liked some of the stuff MP3 used motion controls for. Stuff like twisting and turning knobs, ahem, and pulling and clonking on big clanky machines is my poo poo. Just really satisfying and soothing feeling.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked it when it happened like once or twice but I'd rather just shoot a door and have it open. Those little animations really get boring after 4 or 5 playthroughs.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I’ll be honest I only played it through once and quit at the start of not-as-good-as-Tallon IV first planet three times after that.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

I liked it when it happened like once or twice but I'd rather just shoot a door and have it open. Those little animations really get boring after 4 or 5 playthroughs.

i think it's unfair to judge a game based on what's fun for an infinite number of playthroughs. novelty is neat and most people won't ever play through a game more than once

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

i think it's unfair to judge a game based on what's fun for an infinite number of playthroughs. novelty is neat and most people won't ever play through a game more than once

Agreein w dis.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

True, but there's only like two variations in the game. It would be cooler if say, you are under fire and need to quickly open a door's security system while receiving damage. So the actual act of going through the motions has pressure attached to it. Otherwise it feels like a glorified loading screen after one or two puzzles utilize it and then never changed it up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's why using the grapple beam in combat was awesome every time, and why you see another door that needs you to pull the wiimote out turn it and push it in for the 30th time and you roll your eyes a little bit. IMO of course.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still never got around to playing prime 3 past about five energy tanks in so maybe it gets cooler later but I did not really like the shield pirates' grapple gimmick. To me it just felt like a visual cue for "Samus, shake the nunchuck to inflict massive damage!" And the rotator door locks were old after the very first one, I think maybe it's because I want to just find a relaxed pose to hold the controls, but asking me to swing them all around makes me afterwards have to find a comfortable aiming position all over again. But then again it's good for games to make you do that kind of stuff so I've decided in the middle of this post that I don't hate it after all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You get a cool grapple upgrade that lets you attach it to any enemy and drain their health like a vampire, or you can reverse the beam and overload them with your suit energy and they explode like a piñata

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ralp posted:

oh, maybe they just told me to get that because I might as well get the better versions then. The wiimotes I bought are third party and have been good but the third party nunchucks are garbage. I ordered a Nintendo one and it's a hundred times better.

I have the Nyko nunchuks and they're pretty great. Wireless so I don't need to have my hands 6 inches apart or less at all times.

This one, but I paid $1.97 each for them instead of $25. They're Nyko though so odds are you'll find them in a bargain bin at Gamestop or something.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Ralp posted:

Well, MP3 also has the stuff like yanking away shields with the grapple beam and pulling and turning those door locks.

I had forgotten about those.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
eligor is the best castlevania boss ever . what an epic fight

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
are there any other FPS metroidvanias? i'm going to play the metroid games eventually, but cannot, atm

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

gently caress this guy.

(screenshot not mine. i tried to take a screenshot after the first time I beat it, ~20 tries in, and it turned out that my screenshot key is also the 'instant quit' key for the game. real salty rn...)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

gently caress this guy.

(screenshot not mine. i tried to take a screenshot after the first time I beat it, ~20 tries in, and it turned out that my screenshot key is also the 'instant quit' key for the game. real salty rn...)

???

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is definitely an EGA graphics Spore Spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

gently caress this guy.

Its a tribute.

• Locked thread