Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Loving that the Glorious Communist Bear went small ball in his managing, realizing that the game no longer has a place for one dimensional sluggers like he use to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Jim Power: bad outfielder, worse manager, it seems

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

It's a shame that none of his managing styles actually matter since he's been a pitching coach the entire time :v:

You can probably sort of credit him with making the astros good though since their pitching has been pretty good since he came on board.

I dun reed good. :negative:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It makes sense that Captain Cold would be a master tactician as a coach.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!
Strangely enough, the Mets rookie team seems to have made a former pitcher their hitting coach. Any other reason a former starter would have a neutral hitting focus, and N/A for pitching?

edit: Should probably make it a bit easier to find on the table, talking about Squires

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool
It's as though Kirby knew exactly when he was starting to fade and took the opportunity to sign a nice, long contract :cheers:

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

JoeRules posted:

Name: Ricky Steves
Nickname: Tricky
Position: 1B
Player Type: Batting) incredible eye, decent contact, lovely power
Running) Good instincts, average to below average speed
Fielding) Smart fielder/instincts, but not very quick/rangey
Other: Right handed, and if this is possible, give him some lovely pitching skills so he can pitch in blowouts :getin:

LEGENDARY pitching coach

edit: also LOL - I made more for my signing bonus as a player and never made it past A-ball than I have in 10 years of being a pitching coach

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 3, 2016

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just FYI I have not forgotten about this - I took a bit of a break for X-com 2 but then got horribly sick just after release (figures), and I have only just started to recover. I am resolved to finish this soon!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2038 Season

2038 Opening Day Status

Only two of you start with jobs! This is the first time Bissel's been unemployed since he was drafted.

You all find jobs eventually, of course. But only MacGregor (!?) and Fostolfur play in the majors. MacGregor ends up in Austin.

Sam Booty will never die, not while there are minor league awards to be won.

Every one else had the dignity to retire when they weren't good enough anymore. Booty refuses, and will play until he is 50.

2038 Regular Season Standings

Tampa made the playoffs, but failed before Fostolfur could do anything of note.

2038 Playoff Results

Ricky "Tricky" Steves gets ANOTHER ring, as pitching coach for the Astros.

:catstare: He's doing a drat good job too. Course it helps that the Astros are also first in almost all offensive categories too...

2038 Hall of Fame Results

David Dahl kicked goon rear end and stole many awards from us, and is rewarded with the best award - a first year, 92% hall of fame vote.

Our own Jackson McGee also appears for the first time, but is even less successful than Krusty Unts, and disappears on the first ballot. At least he can say he received some hall of fame votes, which is more than 99% of other MLB players can say :unsmith:.

Rick Hardslab is also on the ballot, and survives, for now. He's pretty low on the list so I doubt he'll last, but it's good to see our best pitcher get some recognition. I wonder if he'll outdo Unts.

2038 Player Status

Batting Stats

Not much to see this time. MacGregor is somehow immortal, but only if he plays on a different team each year. His play on Austin means he's now played on 14 teams in his career, shattering all other goon records and ensuring he wins that obscure award, along with longevity.

Fostolfur his 16 dingers, which is pretty cool, actually. He's at 244 dingers and probably won't get all that many more, but he may just end up second overall in dingers. Since Chuck Johnson was an utter failure who spent his days in dinger-hating San Francisco (rather than his drafted home Colorado), he only amassed 259 dingers. Unts is probably out of reach at 299 dingers, unless Fostolfur plays journeyman home run vet for another 5 seasons or so.

2038 Coaching Status

By the end of the season, every one has jobs, including the more recently retired. Promotions tend to be slow affairs and it will take some time for many of the rest of you to move up, if you ever do.

Two players notable skyrocket to AAA: the legendary Krusty Unts and the hated Bill Hrenchuk. I'd love for them to develop some sort of coaching rivalry.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 16, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can I see Cash Considerations's managing style?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Dat .400 BABIP for MacGregor, tho. He's probably going to crash and burn pretty quick now.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Harlock posted:

Iceberg is gonna linger around to 38 as a journeyman 1B
40! Exceeded his own expectations. I can't wait to see his player card.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
:laffo: at Harper dropping off the ballot while Swihart is still kicking around in the top 10.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Freddie Freeman and Salvador Perez: More HoF-worthy than Bryce Harper.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bukowski's management style better be tempermental

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Can I see Cash Considerations's managing style?

Cash Considerations - Manager of the Boise Hawks (S A)

You must ALWAYS STEAL but DO NOT DO IT AGGRESSIVELY NOR DO A HIT AND RUN. Also, if you're a starter you're coming out of a game fast, but God forbid you gently caress up as a reliever, or you're stuck out there.

Cash Money is a man of contradictions. He is extremely strict about being unorthodox. "If the opponents can't predict your next move, you give yourself an advantage!"

Inspector_666 posted:

:laffo: at Harper dropping off the ballot while Swihart is still kicking around in the top 10.

Blake Swihart

He had a few good seasons!

New Concept Hole posted:

Freddie Freeman and Salvador Perez: More HoF-worthy than Bryce Harper.

Freddie Freeman

Salvador Perez

So did Freeman and Perez! Just as important, they had long and somewhat consistent careers.

But yeah, Bryce's peak was better than all of these guys, but in this world he just collapsed in 2019 and averaged like 2-3 WAR a season for the last 2/3 of his career. And he retired at the "early" age of 36.

Doltos posted:

Bukowski's management style better be tempermental

Mike Bukowski Manager of the Miami Marlins of the Dominican League (R)

Yeah, Bukowski is pretty chill. This might become more interesting with time, since Bukowski's only just out of playing baseball.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm glad Roll Fizzlebeef made a name for himself as something aside from a never-was washout. Maybe he might get above AA as a manger, lord knows he barely could as a player.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

how does the glorious communist bear manage? I need to make sure he's properly extolling the values of revolutionary leftism

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Seems appropriate Bukowski would rather lay back with a brew and let the game play out.

How goes the managerial career of Ammat O'Goku, the temperamental smallball coach?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2039 Season

Blah blah, let's get this done.

2039 Opening Day Status

Opening day, and no jobs for our boys. Can we FINALLY see some of the hanger-ons retire?

MacGregor, aiming for ANOTHER pointless goon record, wants to be the last goon to retire, and signs with SF for almost a million dollars. He somehow actually plays a decent third base at 40 years old.

:woop: Bissel retires with dignity, the last of our good, consistent players. Now it's just a couple losers trying to be the last goon standing.

But, Booty, MacGregor, and Fostolfur all get jobs for 2039 and don't immediately retire :negative:

2039 Regular Season Standings

NL West is best.

2039 Playoff Results

But nobody wants the Dodgers to win. Ick.

2039 Hall of Fame Results

Some guy named Nomar Mazara got in to the Hall, and he is a real person, but is a prospect who has yet to see major league play. If you're curious why he got in...

Nomar Mazara

It's all about the awards!

But that's not the big story. The big story this time around is the arrival of Mike "The Big Burrito" Bukowski. He does well on his first ballot, with almost 40% of the voters considering him worthy of induction into the Hall of Fame.

Mike Bukowski

Evaluating relievers is tough, but Bukowski was definitely one of the most consistent, with a lifetime ERA of 2.78 and an impressive 423 saves that places him seventh in all time career saves (exactly 1 behind sixth). Add his seven All-Star appearances and four reliever of the year awards, he was THE reliever of the late 2020's and early 2030's.

I'm a bit afraid he's going to fall short of the votes needed for induction, but he's definitely the goon with the best shot. Especially with Hardslab dropping off entirely :(.

2039 Player Status

Batting Stats

A dingerless season, across the board. For shame. MacGregor might finally be running out of luck though, since his WAR was negative this time, and his offense atrocious. Will we finally be free of another goon (or two)?

Oh thank God, Sam "Plunderin'" Booty finally retires. He's probably second only to Harry Callahan in sheer grit and determination to never, ever give up. He just had to reach the ripe old age of 44 years old, the oldest goon yet to play (but MacGregor or Fostolfur could still beat it).

Let's see his wonderful major league career that kept in him in the game until 44.

He... only played in 10 seasons, with a 15 year gap between his first and his last. Only two season (the last two) saw positive WAR, peaking at .2. He did have that one season where he hit 12 dingers though at age 34 (TEN YEARS AGO), that was cool!

Then why stick around?

LOVE OF THE GAME.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 17, 2016

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I'm glad Roll Fizzlebeef made a name for himself as something aside from a never-was washout. Maybe he might get above AA as a manger, lord knows he barely could as a player.

Roll Fizzlebeef Manager of the Springfield Cardinals (AA)

Looks like Fizzlebeef is uninteresting in strategy, but a bit of a wacky personality prone to bizarre outbursts and insistent that "speed" is a tangible thing that helps teams win ball games.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

how does the glorious communist bear manage? I need to make sure he's properly extolling the values of revolutionary leftism

Glorious "Communist" Bear, Manager of the Connecticut Tigers (S A)

Communist Bear believes in centralized planning, and the equitable distribution of bases among his players. In English, they call this "small ball". Dingers are flashy and capitalist, an insult to ball players everywhere.

Bear also believes in taking risks, as players must aggressively take and steal bases, for the defensive ball bourgeois will not surrender them willingly. Apparently he is developing a good reputation, and may spread his revolutionary tactics to the high minors once there is an opening.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Seems appropriate Bukowski would rather lay back with a brew and let the game play out.

How goes the managerial career of Ammat O'Goku, the temperamental smallball coach?

Ammat "The Ankh" O'Goku, Manager of the Madison Pride (R)

O'Goku jumped at the chance to play for the Madison pride, himself proud of his glistening muscles and strong physique, a trait shared by all players on his team. O'Goku feels passionately about his players and his team, and will defend his boys until the end.

He is also said to prefer buff, oiled, athletic men like himself over scrawny speedsters, regularly sacrificing them with overly aggressive base-running and stealing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh man, the excitement. Two more goons left, who will be the last one standing? It would be fitting for it to be MacGregor, being the ultimate journeyman with a massive career but no actual success.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

JosefStalinator posted:

Looks like Fizzlebeef is uninteresting in strategy, but a bit of a wacky personality prone to bizarre outbursts and insistent that "speed" is a tangible thing that helps teams win ball games.

Which is hilarious considering he doesn't really like to steal or care about aggressive baserunning

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

We hope anyone sees you again...
C'mon Sud, you can get a minor league deal SOMEwhere! Just keep dragging it out!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I have to see what makes Jim Power such a terrible manager.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
How is Nelson Frazier doing as a manager/coach?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cash's manager card is everything I had hoped it could be

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Booty OPS+ed 832 in his last season, which is pretty decent

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Explosionface posted:

I have to see what makes Jim Power such a terrible manager.

Jim "Slaps" Power, manager of the Auburn Doubledays (S A)

"Lack of success" is an understatement. Jim has been managing the Auburn Doubledays for 12 years, and the team has placed 7th or worse in every season. It has "improved" to seventh 3 times. He may actually have the worst reputation of any goon with considerable experience. Almost all other goons improve more than this in 12 years.

He also has the personality of a ham sandwich.

Armitage posted:

How is Nelson Frazier doing as a manager/coach?

Nelson "Big Daddy" Frazier, manager of the Fort Myers Miracles (A)

Nelson is a chill as gently caress fat dude who gets along with everyone. He's still too new to know if he's really all that good, but the players like him and he hasn't really developed any weird eccentricities. He still weights 500 pounds.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2040 Season

2040 Opening Day Status

And then there were two. Fostolfur and MacGregor. Who will be the last? Neither has a job at opening day, but they both frustratingly get minor league deals.

2040 Regular Season Standings

Here's the standings, but they don't really matter anymore, because neither goon makes a major league appearance, so no rings for anyone!

2040 Playoff Results

Congrats to the 2040 Reds! No one we even recognize plays the game anymore. We are all old and most of our families are dead.

2040 Player Status

Uh oh. Oh no!

It finally happened. The last goon retired. But who was last?

Fostolfur

MacGregor

You fuckers. Fostolfur and MacGregor both retire on the exact same day just to deny me any narrative and force a tie for the last goon standing.

As a tiebreaker, I try to check who last made an appearance in the minors, but I don't save the complete box scores. It will remain a mystery, but formally speaking, it is a tie.

It is also the end of an era. For 25 years goons patrolled the baseball fields of the major (and minor) leagues. The last of their kind has now left the game forever.

:rip: Goons, 2015-2040.

2040 Hall of Fame Results

Two new inductees, neither of whom we know!

Jotaro Nakayama is the most dinger-oriented hall of famer ever, but who among you can say you wouldn't love to see this come from Japan:

You will of course, notice one of our goons is on the hall of fame list. In fact, he has the most votes of anyone not inducted - and has gained 5% since last year. There's hope for Mike Bukowski, but it may just be a squeaker, as he has 8 seasons to make up a 30% difference. If he gains 5% a year he'll make it, but that's a very big if...

And now, with goons dead and gone, I'll start simming the game hard. I'd like to see some results of your managing careers, give time for the last hall of fame ballots to resolve, and then do a nice write up of each of your player/manager careers!

I may do some random and representative stats (and some minor accomplishment notes) before that, we'll see!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Clearly, MacGregor, being a Scot, and Fostolfur, having Viking roots, bonded over being the last two goons remaining, went out one night and then got so absolutely hammered that whatever happened afterwards made MLB have them quietly "retire" on that day.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'm not sure why Seth Iroth, career pitcher whose arm exploded one too many times, is a batting coach but I'd love to see how he is at it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

OOTP 17 announced: MLBPA licensed for the first time ever (now FaceGens will look more accurate than ever before), multi-core processing so now simming is 60% faster than last year's game (allegedly)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZenVulgarity posted:

OOTP 17 announced: MLBPA licensed for the first time ever (now FaceGens will look more accurate than ever before), multi-core processing so now simming is 60% faster than last year's game (allegedly)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3247397

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So when are new players accepted? Because I would love to see Richard "Dick" Head from Intercourse, PA on a minor league roster.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Retail Slave posted:

So when are new players accepted? Because I would love to see Richard "Dick" Head from Intercourse, PA on a minor league roster.

I don't think I'm quite ready to open this back up for another round of goons - I need to finish up simming ahead to see what the fallout for our first generation of goons is (their coaching careers, comparative stats, etc). And it has a nice surprise! :)

Also I bought OOTP17 because I am a slave to Out of the Park Developments and I encourage everyone else to do so. Sale ends today (or tomorrow).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

Also I bought OOTP17 because I am a slave to Out of the Park Developments and I encourage everyone else to do so. Sale ends today (or tomorrow).

:respek:

All of the improvements to AI and the efficiency that it runs look super great, especially for people like me that never actually play the games.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

JosefStalinator posted:

...And it has a nice surprise!

Bukowski made the hall, didn't he.

edit: hosed up punctuation

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
January, 2050

It is the middle of the 21st century. Our goons grow old and have been retired for over a decade now, and all have gone on to pursue their careers as coaches and managers around the league.

It takes some time to sim through an entire decade, even without our goons to monitor and manage. But one message does catch my attention - the only one I get now that all the goons are otherwise done playing.

Mike Bukowski makes the hall of fame in his 6th year on the ballot!

I was a bit worried about his chances after debuting with only ~40% in 2040, but he surged at a steady pace to make it after 6 years. He's the first, and only, goon to make the hall, so he definitely made his mark. To have even gotten one goon into the hall, among a class of 43, is still an accomplishment.

But what of the MLB? What has happened in this world free of designated hitters?

Some minor changes but.. what? :doh:

The National League implemented the Designated Hitter. The two leagues are now different again - the American League does not use the DH, while the NL does. It's clearly a conspiracy against goons, as the DH was absent only from the years 2020-2041, while goons were active mostly from 2020-2040. Those who were deprived dingers, I'm sorry.

However, the thought of a purely offensive DH at Coors field does get me a bit excited. :awesome:

But let's have a look at how our goons did over their careers. I'll do a write up on each goon individually later, but for now let's see some leaders and whatever weird stats pop up:

Goon Lifetime Batting Stats - MLB

Expanded Batting Stats

Goon Leaders:

Games Played: Chuck Johnson, 2027
Games Started: Chuck Johnson, 1791
Plate Appearances: Chuck Johnson, 7812
Hits: Jackson McGee, 1741
Doubles: Krusty Unts, 444
Triples: Jackson McGee, 55
Homeruns: Krusty Unts, 299 (lol)
RBI: Krusty Unts, 972
Runs: Krusty Unts, 951
Walks: Krusty Unts, 850
Strikeouts: Chuck Johnson, 1659
Average: Jackson McGee, .267
OBP: Kirby Bissel, .358
Slugging: Krusty Unts, .487
OPS: Krusty Unts, .844
OPS+: Krusty Unts, 139
WAR: Jackson McGee, 47.9
SB: Jackson McGee, 270

Among the batters, there's three clear players that dominate virtually every stat: Chuck Johnson, Jackson McGee, and Krusty Unts

Krusty leads all goons in most of the power categories, as well as in lifetime OPS+. The main distinction between him and Chuck Johnson is that Johnson had a much longer career - Johnson played all the way from 2018 to 2035. Unts only played from 2019-2030, 11 seasons to Johnson's 17. As a result Johnson crushes Unts in count stats, and barely beat him out in WAR. Unts was probably the better player, but something can be said for longevity!

And never forget that Johnson played in ATT Park most of his career, including his prime.

Other than the sluggers, Jackson McGee is the other player that leads in some of the count stats. McGee fits the profile of a fast, smallball type player, and with his defense in mind he may just be the best player among all the goons depending on how you value defense and WAR. He played the defensively demanding position of shortstop with elite defense, and leads goons in average and had a solid on base percentage, so he wasn't all offense, and was a great offensive asset as well.

Goon Lifetime Pitching Stats- MLB

Expanded Pitching Stats

There weren't many successful goon pitchers at all, so we don't have too much to debate in who was the "best" among the goons. Rick Hardslab was clearly the dominant starter, and really the only goon who was able to consistently start (Squires only got 20 starts before becoming a reliever - Iroth 10). I'm especially impressed that Hardslab kept up that K/9 above 10 his whole career.

Hall of Famer Bukowski was clearly the dominant relief pitcher too, without any real contest. Moosejaw certainly deserves some credit for his work, and he was a great setup guy in his prime, and a lifetime 3.55 ERA is nothing to be ashamed of.

One thing is still going for Moosejaw, though. He comes from the small town of Moose Jaw, Sasketchwan, and retired to the town once he stopped playing. While he's rejoined the MLB as a coach, he still visits during the offseason, and he's something of a local celebrity:

Everyone else has faded from the national scene, but Moosejaw Hockles never pays for drinks or dinner back home. Or anywhere in Canada, apparently. I have no idea why Moosejaw has remained so popular

Overall, our goon pitching prospects were fewer, and just didn't come together like our hitters. It's funny that they still produced our only hall of famer.

But what of our coaches?

Goon Coaching Update, 2050

What the gently caress goons? Ten years later and only three of you are managing in the majors? And look at their ratings - there's a pretty clear gap between the skill of the AAA and MLB managers. Shameful!

The MLB managers:

Leonard Snart, Bench Coach Memphis Blue Suede Shoes

Leonard managed the Giants for an impressive 15 years, winning manager of the year in 2037 and making the playoffs four years in a row from 2037-2040. He leaves SF with a lifetime losing percentage and 15 million dollars. Maybe Memphis will give him another shot later.

Ricky Steves, Manager Kansas City Royals

Steves has FINALLY gotten a managing job, after 11 years as pitching coach for the Astros (and 3 championships there) and 8 years as bench coach in Colorado. It's his second year so we'll see where he takes the Royals in the coming years. He's made 7 million though, which is far more than he got as a player, so that's good!

Jim "Slaps" Power, Bench Coach Colorado Rockies

Jim Power has only just gotten promoted to the majors, so has no stats to show off, but he's definitely hoping for a managing job. Bench coach must be frustratingly close (and boring) compared to managing.

Next update: Individual assessments of your careers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It seems like just yesterday I was whining that Bukowski was the worst goon. Now my boys in the HoF :unsmith:

"A guy who throws what he intends to throw" is the most honorable description I could have asked for. Brings a drat tear to my eyes.

• Locked thread