Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

BigRed0427 posted:

You! Yes you DnD poster reaching for his third shot of whiskey after reading the Facebook thread. Are you sick of just sitting in front of your computer, reading about all the horrible poo poo happening in the world? Wish you could actually make the world a better place, even if it's just a minuscule difference? Then let's do it. Right now! This thread here is going to be a collection of groups, non profits, and charities that everyone recommends to give your time and money to. Do you think they have a worth wild thing going on? Tell us about them and where to send them money.

I'll update the OP here with charities everyone recommends.

Charities recommended

Coming soon!

We donate to Food for the Hungry, fh.org. We started based on recommendations from some friends involved with them. From what I've been able to tell they do a good job and spend over 80% of each dollar on the actual mission. The fact it's a Christian charity will probably cause fits here but so far I'm happy with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'd rather donate to a charity that (transparently) takes $1000, pays $900 to the CEO, and spend $100 to save two lives than one that takes $1000, pays $100 to the CEO, then spends the $900 to save only one life (or help jewish children discover their heritage, or whatever other small-scale cause you can dream up). I certainly wouldn't structure a charity the former way if I had a say in it, but as far as what exists, I also don't think "pays their CEO excessively" is a particularly good reason to reject a charity.

I tend to agree, saving more lives is better every time. The Against Malaria Foundation also does a great job of showing where the nets are being distributed, which is cool to see as a donor. I would much prefer to let goverments provide an adequate level of foreign aid to pay for relatively cheap things like mosquito nets, but this isn't happening so it's up to small donors to make up the gap.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anyone found anything bad about charitywater.org ?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Pro charity right here. Maybe it's because I am a filthy breeder but I have been giving on an automated monthly basis since I first heard of them.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Why not switch to reusable cloth diapers? They're probably more environmentally friendly too. I don't think you should support this disposable diaper scourge.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ogmius815 posted:

Why not switch to reusable cloth diapers? They're probably more environmentally friendly too. I don't think you should support this disposable diaper scourge.

Cotton's not super great for the environment either, and washing (+drying, if you can't use a clothes line) uses power and water too, as well as requiring more time from the parent(s). Cloth nappies are better if the circumstances are right, but not universally.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

1. Not necessarily
2. People poor enough to need this service are unlikely to have the free time and in-home laundry needed to make using cloth diapers practical and sanitary
3. Don't order poor people to be more virtuous, it lets everyone see what a stupid rear end in a top hat you are

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

1. Not necessarily
2. People poor enough to need this service are unlikely to have the free time and in-home laundry needed to make using cloth diapers practical and sanitary
3. Don't order poor people to be more virtuous, it lets everyone see what a stupid rear end in a top hat you are

Good post. There's nobody worse than a self righteous childless goon looking down Xir nose at the rest of us

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

1. Not necessarily

Be virtuous! I command it!

How about UNHCR? Recommend, yes, no?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

1. Not necessarily

:hfive:

Also, The United Way do good work. I do wish they could lower the incentive programs to keep more into the charity itself, but worry that it would really lower donations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

1. Not necessarily

I'm not "commanding the poor to be more virtuous". This isn't like demanding drug tests for public housing or some poo poo; I'm not bitching about poor people owning refrigerators, I'm suggesting that maybe you shouldn't use your private voluntary charity dollars in an inefficient and potentially harmful way.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 8, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ogmius815 posted:

I'm not "commanding the poor to be more virtuous". This isn't like demanding drug tests for public housing or some poo poo, I'm suggesting that maybe you shouldn't use your private voluntary charity dollars in an inefficient and potentially harmful way.
Yeah - it's bad for people to be economically coerced into using cloth diapers, but it's still better to use your dollars to prevent children from dying of malaria than to use them on preventing that.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

I'm not "commanding the poor to be more virtuous". This isn't like demanding drug tests for public housing or some poo poo; I'm not bitching about poor people owning refrigerators, I'm suggesting that maybe you shouldn't use your private voluntary charity dollars in an inefficient and potentially harmful way.

Yeah and then me and some other people pointed out how you're misinformed so maybe you should take your temper tantrum to somewhere besides the charity thread.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Yeah and then me and some other people pointed out how you're misinformed so maybe you should take your temper tantrum to somewhere besides the charity thread.

Come off the high horse pally. The evidence seems to suggest that at worst cloth diapers are a wash in comparison to disposables environmentally, and are significantly better if you can find a washing machine manufactured this century and air-dry (which I routinely do on a rack in my tiny Harlem apartment, by the way).

But the real point is that if you're spending huge portions of your income on a one use disposable product, a cheaper alternative is probably worthwhile for you and it's stupid and inefficient to use limited private charity dollars to buy the expensive product. As to the idea that it's impossible for inner city apartment dwellers to wash diapers that's false; most coin op laundries (including the one I use) allow diapers. I see it all the time. This sounds like one of those beliefs held primarily by people who live in worthless suburbsand have a laundry machines in their house.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

Come off the high horse pally. The evidence seems to suggest that at worst cloth diapers are a wash in comparison to disposables environmentally, and are significantly better if you can find a washing machine manufactured this century and air-dry (which I routinely do on a rack in my tiny Harlem apartment, by the way).

But the real point is that if you're spending huge portions of your income on a one use disposable product, a cheaper alternative is probably worthwhile for you and it's stupid and inefficient to use limited private charity dollars to buy the expensive product. As to the idea that it's impossible for inner city apartment dwellers to wash diapers that's false; most coin op laundries (including the one I use) allow diapers. I see it all the time. This sounds like one of those beliefs held primarily by people who live in worthless suburbsand have a laundry machines in their house.

You are embarrassing yourself.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ogmius815 posted:

Sounds like one hell of a time and labor burden to inflict on poor families.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Talmonis posted:

Sounds like one hell of a time and labor burden to inflict on poor families.

No one is inflicting any burden on anyone you nincompoop. I haven't suggested it should be illegal to buy huggies, I didn't even say we shouldn't expand government programs and offer aid for this purpose (that sounds like a good idea, even though it won't ever happen). I am saying you, yourself, with the few hundred to thousand dollars you have to spend on charity this year might be wiser to buy some mosquito nets or un-cleft some pallets or something. Jeez.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

No one is inflicting any burden on anyone you nincompoop. I haven't suggested it should be illegal to buy huggies, I didn't even say we shouldn't expand government programs and offer aid for this purpose (that sounds like a good idea, even though it won't ever happen). I am saying you, yourself, with the few hundred to thousand dollars you have to spend on charity this year might be wiser to buy some mosquito nets or un-cleft some pallets or something. Jeez.
No one's going to steal your money and forcibly give it to babies you shrieking rear end in a top hat. You can relax. You revealed a really gross set of attitudes with your posts and if you're not capable of understanding what the problem is with that you're just going to have to make peace with the fact that people form opinions on you based on things you say and do. Voice an rear end in a top hat opinion, get thought of as an rear end in a top hat. That's the deal. Throwing bigger and bigger fits about it isn't going to make anybody go "welp my mistake, what an amazing person he is."

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Ogmius815 posted:

Childless bitter tiny Harlem apartment dweller lectures the normals about how to give to charity. Thanks for taking time from your busy day to help us correct our wrongthink

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I hate you all.

We are sharing charities that we value, that we think make the world better. We are not arguing over which is superlatively the best or trying to min-max our dollar per aggregate unit of worldly good for gently caress's sake.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Turnquiet posted:

I hate you all.

We are sharing charities that we value, that we think make the world better. We are not arguing over which is superlatively the best or trying to min-max our dollar per aggregate unit of worldly good for gently caress's sake.

No you see because what you think makes the world better does not meet my quantifiably more smug position therefore you are actually a bad person and I will use my low social position and general failure at life to make you feel bad for your success and charitable contributions

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Turnquiet posted:

I hate you all.

Actually that is a really good and important thing to do because it can result in many many more lives saved. I'm going to continue to do it even if it's "smug" to do so.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Actually that is a really good and important thing to do because it can result in many many more lives saved. I'm going to continue to do it even if it's "smug" to do so.

Your autism gimmick works better in the tech forums.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

oh yeah well your stupidness gimmick works better in the idiot forums!!!!

Why do you click on D&D if those are the kinds of things you want to post?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
If you're narcissism posting in this thread you're probably not actually very charitable.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Yeah, thanks guys for your great answers to my question about UNHCR. I just knew when I saw 16 replies in this thread that I'd get some insight on whether to throw them a few bucks or not.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

SnakePlissken posted:

Yeah, thanks guys for your great answers to my question about UNHCR. I just knew when I saw 16 replies in this thread that I'd get some insight on whether to throw them a few bucks or not.

Unless their primary mission and zeal is re-educating the unwashed masses about the creeping evil of disposable diapers, then, no, do not send them money

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Has anyone suggested that poor people just shouldn't have children yet?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

SnakePlissken posted:

They are the primary group working with refugees worldwide. Anyone wanting to apply for refugee status goes through them. And they set up a huge number of refugee camps.

Donate to them, they are good.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Second Harvest Food Bank (of Middle Tennessee) is my preferred charity.

quote:

Today, Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee is one of the largest and most comprehensive of over 200 food banks and food distribution centers nationwide. During the 2014/2015 fiscal year, Second Harvest distributed more than 29 million pounds of food to over 450 Partner Agencies, providing more than 24 million meals of food to hungry children, families and seniors throughout our 46-county service area.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This is an immediate crisis that needs all the help it can get since our useless, criminal governor has done jack poo poo about it, despite being shamed into declaring an emergency. The citizens of Flint have taken it upon themselves to supply clean drinking water so they don't have to drink toxic lead water the state forced them to drink for over a year.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/how-help-flint-michigan?cid=sm_fb_maddow

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Just seconding (thirding?) Doctors Without Borders. My mother (nurse) went with them to Haiti after the earthquake and had nothing but praise for them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

If you're not so eager on bed nets, a few weeks ago givewell posted a list of "interesting even if not maximally efficient charities", I would urge everyone to take a look:
http://blog.givewell.org/2015/12/23/suggestions-for-individual-donors-from-open-philanthropy-project-staff/

One in particular that caught my eye was the Bronx Freedom Fund, which pays bail for poor folks charged with misdemeanors. This is cool for a couple reasons - a lot of people plead guilty simply so they don't have to sit in jail awaiting trial, as they often have families to feed and look after. Paying their bail at least lets them have a shot at a trial. Furthermore, people who have their bail paid by a charity are much more likely to make all of their court appearances(97% likelihood according to givewell), at which point the charity gets all of its money back, and can then re-use those funds to help more people. This reuse of funds means that every dollar donated is likely to be used to help many different people, and they only have to actually spend money on operating expenses. They are also seeking to systemically reform the bail system , as even without incentive, the people who receive bail money from them still make their court appearances, clear evidence that forcing people to pay for bail is not necessary.

I still think it's better to buy bed nets, but if you're seeking a charity to help people specifically in the united states, or you want to help people who are already suffering rather than prevent future suffering through healthcare, this seems like a good model to me. Definitely read the rest of the list.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 15, 2016

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Donate to public radio like proper liberals.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

a few weeks ago givewell posted a list of "interesting even if not maximally efficient charities", I would urge everyone to take a look:
http://blog.givewell.org/2015/12/23/suggestions-for-individual-donors-from-open-philanthropy-project-staff/

This is a Good Post. Thank you for the link.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Volcott posted:

Donate to public radio like proper liberals.

You know Hillary's coronation isn't going to be cheap. Give till it hurts!

Edit: you know, I'm not sure about Hillary's position on disposable diapers so I can't endorse her with a full heart until the fierce moral urgency of cloth diapers gets added to the plank

Edit2 goddamnit I missed my chance to make a Hillary wears diapers joke

Pauline Kael fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 17, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen anything before, but if you're into raising the minimum wage in the U.S. then the "15 Now!" campaign may be up your alley.

https://15now.org/donate/

I couldn't find anything about donations to Fight For 15, which is a separate campaign mainly organized by Labor Unions.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The national minimum wage should be raised to 10.10 an hour and tied to inflation. 15bux is too much.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Volcott posted:

The national minimum wage should be raised to 10.10 an hour and tied to inflation. 15bux is too much.

Why is it too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Why is it too much?

Why 15 and not 50?

• Locked thread