Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volcott posted:

The national minimum wage should be raised to 10.10 an hour and tied to inflation. 15bux is too much.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Why is it too much?

tsa posted:

Why 15 and not 50?

This is probably a discussion better pursued in a separate thread. I've noticed that there is a related one here (started by Twerkteam Pizza), so that may be a better home for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is probably a discussion better pursued in a separate thread. I've noticed that there is a related one here (started by Twerkteam Pizza), so that may be a better home for it.

Thank you :)

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Mercy Corps is one I haven't seen mentioned yet. In their words, their mission is to "Alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities." Here's a video of their CEO talking about their work and what sets them apart from other orgs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUf6Ch6GbQ0

And Here is their FY16 Strategic Roadmap (pdf) so you can see what they plan to work on in the coming year.

Shameless plug: in case you want to raise money for charity while running, some friends and I have put together a running challenge called 300 Days of Run where the goal is to run at least 1 mile on at least 300 days this year while raising money for any charity of your choice. Even if you're not interested in running that much, we have monthly challenges that will play well on social media as far as getting your friends and family to donate. For February, the challenge is to run every day and thereby tie the "World Record" for most number of days run in February. In March, we have a Pi Day challenge wherein you can win a free pie.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Has anyone suggested that poor people just shouldn't have children yet?

They shouldn't. Neither should rich people or middle class people. Children are a filthy lot. :colbert:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Anatharon posted:

They shouldn't. Neither should rich people or middle class people. Children are a filthy lot. :colbert:

Google with make Borg maturation chambers real.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
What are the major charities that document slavery in international supply chains or other ways of supporting victims of slave trafficking?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

What are the major charities that document slavery in international supply chains or other ways of supporting victims of slave trafficking?

https://www.amnesty.org/en/

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Can I recommend against a charity? The CEO of Wounded Warrior fund http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/08/vet-charity-s-new-fight-to-waste-your-cash.html is the kind of guy who likes to rewards himself for doing good work, heavily. Also they sell donor info.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've always heard good things about the Gates Foundation but that's typically in the form of a news story/interview here and there. Knowing how the media loves hero worship of tech giants does it live up to the hype or is Gates just good at rebranding himself like the robber barons of old?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I've always heard good things about the Gates Foundation but that's typically in the form of a news story/interview here and there. Knowing how the media loves hero worship of tech giants does it live up to the hype or is Gates just good at rebranding himself like the robber barons of old?

He's convincing the absurdly rich to part with sizable portions of their fortunes for a variety of good causes. Worst thing I can say about them is that they no longer donate to Planned Parenthood because of the associated drama.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

As far as I can tell their domestic education work is kind of lovely but their foreign anti-disease stuff is good.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The huge issues with Gates foundation is that their operations are extremely silo'd, their partners are extremely territorial, and their programs are unresponsive to unanticipated shifts in client needs.

They are the Microsoft Silverlight of the foundation world.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

The huge issues with Gates foundation is that their operations are extremely silo'd, their partners are extremely territorial, and their programs are unresponsive to unanticipated shifts in client needs.

They are the Microsoft Silverlight of the foundation world.

I don't think Africa is going to decide they actually want malaria to stick around.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Volcott posted:

I don't think Africa is going to decide they actually want malaria to stick around.

I think individuals would rather see malaria addressed on a more urgent timescale than the one the Gates Foundation has set.

For instance, there's some amazing research on genetic modification of mosquitos in response to Zika that is underway. Unfortunately, the Gates Foundation is not responsive to changes in conditions; they've set a target, and by god, they're going to go down the checklist to implement it their way with their money.

Truly, the Microsoft Silverlight of foundations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

As far as I can tell their domestic education work is kind of lovely but their foreign anti-disease stuff is good.

I've read they go for flashy objectives like eradicating malaria, instead of more realistic projects like distributing millions of long-lasting insecticidal nets to prevent malaria now rather than stop X years in the future. It's not like you have to choose one or the other but my suspicion is they could do more good with more pragmatic & less moonshot kinds of project funding.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've read they go for flashy objectives like eradicating malaria, instead of more realistic projects like distributing millions of long-lasting insecticidal nets to prevent malaria now rather than stop X years in the future. It's not like you have to choose one or the other but my suspicion is they could do more good with more pragmatic & less moonshot kinds of project funding.

They do moonshots because they do not care about putting the effort in to addressing root problems, like lack of partner capacity and structural issues which have led to horrid states of infrastructure. Who will distribute the insecticidal nets? Where will they be manufactured? How will you get them to rural communities? Much simpler to sponsor development of a magic pill and have the client base come to you, because who would pass on such a great offer.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

They've got a plan to cure malaria in a generation and the resources to make it happen, but I guess that's just not good enough for some people.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Volcott posted:

They've got a plan to cure malaria in a generation and the resources to make it happen, but I guess that's just not good enough for some people.

Not when a little bit more effort in developing on-the-ground capacity could be used to end malaria and zika transmission within the timeframe set by the original project goals, no.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Not when a little bit more effort in developing on-the-ground capacity could be used to end malaria and zika transmission within the timeframe set by the original project goals, no.

They've donated 1.6 billion to the net guys. (Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.) Still not good enough?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Volcott posted:

They've donated 1.6 billion to the net guys. (Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.) Still not good enough?

How much have they invested in developing logistics and distribution networks? The issue is not one which persists for a lack of resources available to tackle it; the issue is one which exists due to a lack of structure on the ground. How does the foundation ensure that its contributions don't end up, unutilized, in a warehouse until they're forgot?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

How much have they invested in developing logistics and distribution networks? The issue is not one which persists for a lack of resources available to tackle it; the issue is one which exists due to a lack of structure on the ground. How does the foundation ensure that its contributions don't end up, unutilized, in a warehouse until they're forgot?

If you're asking "why haven't they turned the whole of Africa into neat, orderly societies where you can get 2 day shipping on your malaria meds" it's because Africa has issues that would take far, far more than a few billion dollars to address, and "fix Africa" isn't one of the foundation's stated goals.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How does buying fair trade or similar stuff instead of regular stuff fare? E.g. buying all your clothes from Armed Angels instead of some chinese sweatshop reseller, costing x dollars more, compared to giving x dollars to a charity.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cingulate posted:

How does buying fair trade or similar stuff instead of regular stuff fare? E.g. buying all your clothes from Armed Angels instead of some chinese sweatshop reseller, costing x dollars more, compared to giving x dollars to a charity.
My guess is probably not as good as buying the cheap stuff and using the difference to buy bed nets, assuming they are the same quality and won't need to be replaced sufficiently sooner.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

My Imaginary GF posted:

You need to address the long term as well as the short. Nets and medication are needed but they won't 'end Malaria', just help lower the transmission. There's nothing wrong with also trying to eradicate the disease itself and they have the funding to try. This is like complaining that someone trying to fix the infrastructure in Flint rather than sending more water is a waste. Both need to be done.

I would agree donating to the former is better, Gates has been able to get the funding for the latter pretty well.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Volcott posted:

Donate to public radio like proper liberals.

I pulled the 990 of the radio station I was going to throw a buck to a while back, and saw that the DJ that was soliciting donations cleared 165k a year. No thanks, John Richards!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know the reputation of the American Red Cross is taking a beating. How about the Canadian Red Cross?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

I know the reputation of the American Red Cross is taking a beating. How about the Canadian Red Cross?

What did the Red Cross do now?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Volcott posted:

It's just a general observation.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Volcott posted:

They're not the best, therefore, they are the worst.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
EDIT:Nothing to see here

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Volcott posted:

ProPublica has the deets (if you haven't seen them already).

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Mismanagement at the top aside, we're kinda out of blood right now because everyone's on vacation, so if you're not on vacation and you have some extra blood consider donating that blood.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Since this thread is about charity and Goons, I thought you guys might like to hear about some of the good stuff that we're doing in The Armchair Quarterback. For the last three years I've managed a charity fantasy league where each player competes for a specific charity, with the winning proceeds split between the charities represented by the champion and runner up. In the last three years we've raised a total of $7,978 that's gone to two hospitals for children, a speech therapy college fund, and most recently the Southern Poverty Law Center (both players were going for the same charity in honor of wheez the roux, who passed away last year).

I spend a lot of time volunteering with STEM outreach, specifically with the FIRST Robotics Competition. The programs are (in my opinion) one of the most effective ways to get students into STEM careers and inspire the next generation of scientists and creators. It's also a lot of fun to be involved with.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

In light of Sunday's events, are there any recommended charities to donate to? The only thing I've seen floating around is a gofundme, and yeah I'm not doing that.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Someone mentioned malaria nets and cure etc.: we shouldn't stop research on a cure just because we got a solution that works sometimes. Also, if you can think of a good way to distribute an entire population's worth of nets every 1-3 years (about how long they last depending on the country) to unstable countries with barely functioning kleptocratic governments, feel free to let the world know. If I remember correctly, current net distribution campaign in Senegal has a high of something like 60% usage in some areas and they've been going for years with a national distribution and education effort.

Edit: it's 52% http://www.speakupafrica.org/news/2...daction-milda-2

And as for a recommendation: I don't know what indirect costs are like for International Medical Corps, but I've run into them in Central Africa and I have friends who have worked with them and they do good work. Some rural areas would have no access to medical care if it weren't for their teams showing up regularly.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 19, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Mauser posted:

Someone mentioned malaria nets and cure etc.: we shouldn't stop research on a cure just because we got a solution that works sometimes. Also, if you can think of a good way to distribute an entire population's worth of nets every 1-3 years (about how long they last depending on the country) to unstable countries with barely functioning kleptocratic governments, feel free to let the world know. If I remember correctly, current net distribution campaign in Senegal has a high of something like 60% usage in some areas and they've been going for years with a national distribution and education effort.

Edit: it's 52% http://www.speakupafrica.org/news/2...daction-milda-2

And as for a recommendation: I don't know what indirect costs are like for International Medical Corps, but I've run into them in Central Africa and I have friends who have worked with them and they do good work. Some rural areas would have no access to medical care if it weren't for their teams showing up regularly.
The best way to distribute nets is to have a bunch of groups try, then have independent third party evaluators(eg givewell, giving what we can) determine who does it the best, and give them money. According to the evaluators I've found, this means giving to the Against Malaria Foundation. Whatever imperfections in net distribution there are, there will still be a best candidate for donations. As long as independent charity evaluators continue reporting that this is the best way to save lives, I think people should give to them in lieu of other charities.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If you're not so eager on bed nets, a few weeks ago givewell posted a list of "interesting even if not maximally efficient charities", I would urge everyone to take a look:
http://blog.givewell.org/2015/12/23/suggestions-for-individual-donors-from-open-philanthropy-project-staff/

One in particular that caught my eye was the Bronx Freedom Fund, which pays bail for poor folks charged with misdemeanors. This is cool for a couple reasons - a lot of people plead guilty simply so they don't have to sit in jail awaiting trial, as they often have families to feed and look after. Paying their bail at least lets them have a shot at a trial. Furthermore, people who have their bail paid by a charity are much more likely to make all of their court appearances(97% likelihood according to givewell), at which point the charity gets all of its money back, and can then re-use those funds to help more people. This reuse of funds means that every dollar donated is likely to be used to help many different people, and they only have to actually spend money on operating expenses. They are also seeking to systemically reform the bail system , as even without incentive, the people who receive bail money from them still make their court appearances, clear evidence that forcing people to pay for bail is not necessary.

That owns

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Think globally, act locally, help me with my gender realignment procedure, thank you: gofund.me/transascension

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread