Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

B

B

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
B

B

A

Robert Kennedy can be as big a dick as he wants to me; he's a valuable asset, regardless of our personal feelings toward one another. That having been said, I'm going to work with him, but not for him.

Mundt can suck it.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
B A A

Bobby is just the kind of enemy to keep close, and keeping as much of his brother's cabinet as we can will help concilliate him. Cheap grain for the Soviets is as close as we can get to physically waving our dick in Khruschev's face for the moment.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
BAA

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

I jam on the nuclear launch button, sending the United States' entire arsenal to strategic locations within its own borders, ending the scourge of American imperialism once and for all and readying the people for liberation by the Red Army. Long live Mother Russia and comrade Stalin.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

B
A
A

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
B
B
A

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
1) B
We need those Kennedy men, they're just going to have to get used to working with/under LBJ.:colbert:

2) B
Grief is no excuse for insubordination.

3) A
Time for some old-fashioned Johnson dick-waving.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

B.
No time to dick around with a bunch of newbies when poo poo needs to get done.

B.
See previous response re: poo poo needs to get done.

A.
The only poo poo that gets done is the poo poo I want done.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
1 B
2 B
3 A

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
1) A: These positions are my bitches now

2) B: If you can't poo poo, get off the toilet

3) A: The commies can take that wheat and slurp it down

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

A B A

on #1 i thought C might be good, because control of conservatives on capitol hill is going to be important in getting the new england twerp's legacy passed, but congress needs to be kept out of the white house at a moment of weakness for the executive. the camelot liberals have always been more interested in feeling pure than enacting policy, let them go home and whine

i wish i could vote to split #2; defer to him on delaying the transition in the white house but speak the day after the funeral. but if they have to be taken together it's important not to cave in. in the end, if the liberals want to put their feelings ahead of running the country they can get hosed

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 01:35 on Dec 5, 2015

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
B, B, A

oystertoadfish posted:

i wish i could vote to split #2; defer to him on delaying the transition in the white house but speak the day after the funeral. but if they have to be taken together it's important not to cave in. in the end, if the liberals want to put their feelings ahead of running the country they can get hosed

Agreeing with this wholeheartedly. Hopefully upholding Kennedy's agenda will help win over Bobby.

literally this big has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Dec 5, 2015

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Where is the Have Robert Kennedy Shot option

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i can't pretend im a johnsonian scholar but i think we're staying pretty close to history for now and i think that's a fairly good tactical move. i'm gonna keep my ignorancesuspense about what votes are coming up blissfully intact, but just off the top of my head the big thing that could send this thread off the historical rails could be vietnam

edit what i meant to say was Whip Your Dick Out

show robert f kennedy your dick

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Dec 5, 2015

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Show off gallbladder scar, also bunghole

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Yell at Lady Bird

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

C
A
A

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
ABA

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
BBA

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A
B
D. As in, corner Mundt and show him your penis, shaking it in a threatening manner and explaining that THIS is the tool that beats Communism, not letting a bunch of dumbass Russkies eat their own shoes. Besides which if they owe us money that shows we're on top.

A Human Ear Alright
Feb 3, 2004

fantastic life
B
B
A

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

A
B
A

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
C
B
A

When do we get to the dick parts? Also this is fun.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
C
A
B

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

literally this big posted:

Agreeing with this wholeheartedly. Hopefully upholding Kennedy's agenda will help win over Bobby.

The hatred between LBJ and RFK was a deep, visceral thing - when Robert Kennedy was dying in the hospital after his assassination, LBJ had his staff constantly calling and asking "Is he dead yet? Is he dead yet?" Until finally Kennedy's staff basically told them off and to stop calling cause it was creepy as hell. Then LBJ tried to say Robert couldn't be buried in Arlington next to JFK since he had never served in the military, until the Secretary of Defense reminded him that as President he could authorize it.

oystertoadfish posted:

i can't pretend im a johnsonian scholar but i think we're staying pretty close to history for now and i think that's a fairly good tactical move. i'm gonna keep my ignorancesuspense about what votes are coming up blissfully intact, but just off the top of my head the big thing that could send this thread off the historical rails could be vietnam

Yeah I anticipate that being the biggest area where goons try to change course.

overdesigned posted:

When do we get to the dick parts? Also this is fun.

Soon, LBJ was on his best behavior for the first couple months are so but before long he was back to giving orders from the toilet and talking about Jumbo (his name for his penis).

Update will be tonight as B, B, A basically has it.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Winning Votes:
B. Beg, plead, and cajole as many Kennedy staffers to stay on as you can. Continuity matters more than anything else, at least for now.
B. Grief is no excuse for insubordination, start working out of the White House as soon as possible and keep the funeral on Tuesday.
A. The President holds authority over foreign affairs, not the legislature. Teach them who's in charge now by rallying your congressional allies to destroy the bill.

November 24, 1963

You and Bird leave the East Room where President Kennedy's coffin is held for viewing.

You spend the weekend speaking with Kennedy staff and trying to convince them to stay on. With each man you have a different tactic. With the perpetual failed presidential nominee Adlai Stevenson, Ambassador to the U.N, you explain it would be him in your position in a just world, and that you’ll make sure he has a say in policy. For the idealistic and brilliant Ted Sorensen, special counsel and speechwriter, you appeal to his desire to see Kennedy’s legacy fulfilled. And before the arrogant intellectual Arthur Schlesinger you debase yourself and belittle your own intelligence to impress upon him how deeply you need him.

When you call Larry O’Brien, electoral strategist, you tell him, “I just wanted you to know how strongly I feel about you. I think you know the admiration I have for you, and-”
“I know that, Mr. President,” he interrupts.
“I don’t expect you to love me as much as you did him, but I expect you will, after we’ve been around a while.”
“Right.”
A silence passes, and once you’re convinced that you’ve humbled yourself enough you switch out of flattery mode. “I think it would be a terrible thing to Kennedy’s memory to have this wheat sale thing repudiated.”
“Yeah, I’ll check on it,” he says after a brief silence. O’Brien would make sure Humphrey and Mansfield start pushing votes against the Mundt Bill. Unlike Humphrey, O’Brien could actually count votes, and unlike Mansfield he could actually sway congressmen.

The only staff member you don’t spend time buttering up is Robert Kennedy. He takes the news about the funeral’s date grimly - but whether that’s because of what the decision involves or who made it is unclear to you.It might not be clear to him either. Regardless, you don’t hear from him for the rest of the day. His staff claims he is rushing to get preparations in order with the Kennedy family. You’re operating out of the White House a few hours after he had asked you to leave, though every now and then a Kennedy secretary comes in to remove a box or collect some papers. Jackie and the kids will continue living there for a few weeks while you and Lady Bird remain at your home.

A few pressing matters interrupt the course of the day. President Kennedy’s assassin had been found and arrested yesterday, and J. Edgar Hoover has been calling all day with information about the man’s communist ties - including a trip to the Soviet Union and an attempt to visit Cuba from Mexico. A little after noon the assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald, is being transported to a more secure jail when a man steps out of the crowd and executes him live in front of the whole country. Jack Ruby is quickly arrested but the nation is in a state of shock and confusion. Responsible leadership will be more important than ever. You are already planning on giving your first real speech to the nation as President on Tuesday, the day after the funeral. You ask Ted Sorensen to put together a rough draft. He does so, and your advisors begin picking it apart and rewriting it. Obviously, the focus will be continuity and moving forward from this point, but the main sticking point is civil rights. Some of your staff think an emphasis on it will only serve to alienate southern congressmen you might otherwise need to pass other legislation - hell, Kennedy hadn’t even gotten a budget through. There's only a couple months left in the legislative session to even pass a budget for next year. Others say you’ll lose the liberals who you need for 1964 if you don’t mention civil rights.

1) How much focus will you give to civil rights in your first congressional address?
A. Give civil rights major emphasis in the speech, identifying the passage of relevant legislation as a prime goal of your administration.
B. Mention civil rights briefly in the speech without going into any detail.
C. Don’t mention civil rights at all, use that time to expand on decrying "civil disorder" and the hate that causes assassinations and vigilantism.

Much of the remainder of the day is spent solidifying support with important interest groups in the nation. To labor leader George Meany you explain that you were always a New Deal Democrat at heart, plus appeal to his sense of self-importance by leaking to the press that he had a meeting with the President. You speak briefly with Dr. Martin Luther King over the phone, saying that you support civil rights but trying to explain how so many things are tied up in the legislature right now, getting any of them out will be difficult. You call Fred Kappel, president of the country’s largest corporation, and discuss the importance of preserving the system we have especially against communist agitators like Oswald. It seems that you are promising to be everything to everyone.

One important meeting is held late in the day. Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge has returned from Saigon to report the effects of a coup that happened a few weeks ago. The former President had given the go-ahead for that country's military to overthrow President Ngo Dinh Diem. He had been killed, and now General “Big Minh” was in power. Lodge maintains that this is a good thing - Diem’s regime had been repressive, and some American newspapers have expressed support for his removal. None of your foreign relations or military cabinet members present agree. Director of the CIA John McCone says the situation has gotten worse, with the military unable to form a legitimate government and Viet Cong activity increasing. The remainder of your advisors feel that this is no better or worse. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara offers a solution: the plan had been to increase the focus on training of the South Vietnamese military so US advisors could be removed entirely by 1965. The current schedule is to bring 1,000 of the 15,000 US troops home by the end of 1963, and then continue to reduce numbers from there as the situation allows.

2) What will be your initial policy towards South Vietnam?
A. Use the coup as an excuse to increase the numbers of military advisors and begin pressing on Viet Cong supply lines while using the US Navy and Air Force to keep tight controls on North Vietnamese military activity.
B. Keep the existing plan - guarantee the independence of South Vietnam, focus on training their military, and aim to begin removing troops at year’s end.
C. Use the coup as an excuse to significantly remove troops from South Vietnam, emphasizing that the US will support democratic governments but not military juntas.
D. INSERT GENIUS PLAN HERE. Open to suggestions on this one, if you have a brilliant plan propose it and if goons support it we’ll go from there. Just a reminder this is the very initial position of the Johnson administration on Vietnam, the situation is likely to change quickly so be prepared for your plans to explode.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
C, D: Nuke them all

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

fronz posted:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
C, B. That McNamara guy seems to know what he's doing and we're too busy consolidating power at home to bother with the details.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
B, B .

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

B,C

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
C and C, let those noodle eaters settle their own war. It doesn't matter which Pho King guy holds Vietnam, we can't make boots from their animals anyways. Let the commies sort this all out.

As for the death of Jack Ruby, someone needs to look into that, because it seems like a R. Kennedy plot...

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

B, B

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

fronz posted:

Obviously I wouldn't vote for this in real life but I'm too curious, I have to see where this would go.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

B.

D. George Ball Option: Continue training and removal of troops in accord with current plans, but begin sending out diplomatic feelers to the North for a compromise solution to the crisis based on some application of a self-determination principle. The American contact should be handled through a nongovernmental man (possibly a reliable newspaperman) who can be repudiated if anything leaks. If / When we can hammer out general principles for the negotiations, we use the South's aid dependence to get them aboard.

We've got a narrow window where we can distinguish ourselves from past American administrations to the North. Though we ought to continue the tough rhetoric at home, we cannot miss the opportunity to end a senseless conflict in a drat little pissant country.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 13:46 on Dec 6, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
1) C: Identity politics are a distraction from the class war.

2) A: What are you, some kind of cuck?

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."
B and:

QuoProQuid posted:

D. George Ball Option: Continue training and removal of troops in accord with current plans, but begin sending out diplomatic feelers to the North for a compromise solution to the crisis based on some application of a self-determination principle. The American contact should be handled through a nongovernmental man (possibly a reliable newspaperman) who can be repudiated if anything leaks. If / When we can hammer out general principles for the negotiations, we use the South's aid dependence to get them aboard.

We've got a narrow window where we can distinguish ourselves from past American administrations to the North. Though we ought to continue the tough rhetoric at home, we cannot miss the opportunity to end a senseless conflict in a drat little pissant country.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

B, B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
A, and

QuoProQuid posted:

• Locked thread