Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I grew up in Australia. The first big news even I recall is the Port Arthur massacre in 1996. I also remember the response of the very conservative prime minister at the time, John Howard. Otherwise a terrible guy, he instituted sweeping gun reform: "Under federal government co-ordination, all states and territories of Australia heavily restricted the legal ownership and use of self-loading rifles, self-loading shotguns, and heavily tightened controls on their legal use by recreational shooters."

Recently a video went viral asking kids at an Aussie university if they could recall the last mass shooting in Australia (maybe 1 of them could, they all were late teens/early 20s. Similar questions were asked of American kids - "yesterday" and "last week" were the answers. I have held/shot a gun once, in Vietnam on holiday, an M16. I had never heard gun shots up close in person - until last night.

San Bernardino was not the first mass shooting in the US, although this was much smaller - only 4 victims:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/02/the-other-mass-shooting-that-happened-today-in-the-united-states/?tid=pm_pop_b

Savannah is where I live today. Shotspotter technology has detected nearly 5000 shots fired this year. I can't find stats on deaths this year by shooting but one was a 9 year old girl, in a drive by shooting, while she was doing her homework. It's a high number.

Other than the 4 people shot in the article, another guy was shot at 3am. I was awake and heard the shot. I didn't know what it was, although I highly guessed gunshot. I saw what was either the shooter or, as it turns out, may have been the victim as he turned up at a bar around the corner seeking assistance. Cops came at 320 having had the shotspotter pinpoint the exact location of the shot. I gave a statement - never done that before. Police reports today focused mainly on the 4 people shot but according to the police, the other one was an armed robbery (having seen this kids I would think drug deal gone bad is more likely).

My point is. I don't loving understand this country. I don't understand the obsession with the 2nd amendment or why people are opposed to gun control. Why do you NEED guns?! There are countless accidents involving them, I've taken care of a brain dead 11 year old who'd been shot by his 9 year old friend accidentally, with his dad's gun, which had been left loaded on the coffee table.
It feels like everyone has given up, is apathetic, that we can't DO anything to change it so why try? Savannah did manage to elect a new mayor, although how much an old white guy can do in a predominantly black city I don't know.
Why do republicans offer thoughts and prayers but no solutions!? If not gun control then what!? Why is the status quo ok?!

Note: if this appears to give too much info on my possible location, please don't be weird and Internet detective me goons. If people suggest I will delete this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

gently caress you. That's why. We don't NEED guns. We also don't NEED free speech, freedom to assemble, freedom to worship how we choose, or any of a number of other rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights.

The murder rate is roughly half what it was in the mid-1990's. Violent crime is down across the board. You just hear about these things more because blood gets eyes on screens, and it's white people this time.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 3, 2015

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Liquid Communism posted:

gently caress you. That's why. We don't NEED guns. We also don't NEED free speech, freedom to assemble, freedom to worship how we choose, or any of a number of other rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights.

The murder rate is roughly half what it was in the mid-1990's. Violent crime is down across the board. You just hear about these things more because blood gets eyes on screens, and it's white people this time.

Ok no need to swear at me mate I'm truly trying to understand! I feel like there's a bit of a difference between the right for guns (and ok, in the bill of rights, the founding fathers intended the guns to be for having a "well regulated militia" correct? Not sure what bearing that has today.) And as many people says, the FF didn't foresee the kind of technology we have today like automatic weapons and high capacity magazines.

I understand the impact the media has, and that the trend may well be declining but I feel like my questions still stand. And maybe I should have not restricted my questions to mass shootings.

Please understand it's not my intention to be judgemental. I am trying to understand something that I've never really had to deal with and now am faced with the reality of right in my face.

Miranda fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 3, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

You see, we need guns because the solution to mass shootings is a bunch of untrained people with minimal range time and dreams of heroism engaging in unaimed panic fire.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Khizan posted:

You see, we need guns because the solution to mass shootings is a bunch of untrained people with minimal range time and dreams of heroism engaging in unaimed panic fire.

Am I the only one who thinks this would be really interesting to see, even once? It would sure break up the loathsome monotony of "Guy walks into place and point-blank executes a whole bunch of people in comically unhurried manner."

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

gently caress you. That's why.
This is your answer. Liquid might just be loving around with with you, he might not, but the sentiment is why we can't even manage a discourse about guns in this country. Gun control is not a political issue. It is a personal, emotional one. When you bring up control, a lot of people get incredibly defensive. It looks crazy and illogical to much of the world, but you're the crazy and illogical one to them - they're being perfectly rational. You're not trying to solve a violence problem - you're trying to gently caress with their dearly held personal rights, including the right to protect their family, their belongings, or themselves. You're trying to tweak a protected Constitutional Right, something enshrined as something all Americans are entitled to - including our (all too frequently real) gun owner. When you debate with them, you're debating with their personal beliefs and their personal rights, which goes as well as you might expect.

"But can't we just discuss some tweaks? Surely there is a way to approach it so we can talk about some control," you might say. Problem is, you're still trying to get people to compromise on personal belief. Even many people that might otherwise be open to discussion have listened to years of talk from other gun owners and organizations hammering away that any control is an incremental step to total removal. They hear you go "well, maybe we could just restrict a few things..." and hear the sound of a chipping noise at their personal freedoms.

That's it. Gun control is not political, it is personal and emotional. Those that do not want gun control are devoted; those that do not are fighting an uphill battle as a result.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Von Humboldt posted:

This is your answer. Liquid might just be loving around with with you, he might not, but the sentiment is why we can't even manage a discourse about guns in this country. Gun control is not a political issue. It is a personal, emotional one. When you bring up control, a lot of people get incredibly defensive. It looks crazy and illogical to much of the world, but you're the crazy and illogical one to them - they're being perfectly rational. You're not trying to solve a violence problem - you're trying to gently caress with their dearly held personal rights, including the right to protect their family, their belongings, or themselves. You're trying to tweak a protected Constitutional Right, something enshrined as something all Americans are entitled to - including our (all too frequently real) gun owner. When you debate with them, you're debating with their personal beliefs and their personal rights, which goes as well as you might expect.

"But can't we just discuss some tweaks? Surely there is a way to approach it so we can talk about some control," you might say. Problem is, you're still trying to get people to compromise on personal belief. Even many people that might otherwise be open to discussion have listened to years of talk from other gun owners and organizations hammering away that any control is an incremental step to total removal. They hear you go "well, maybe we could just restrict a few things..." and hear the sound of a chipping noise at their personal freedoms.

That's it. Gun control is not political, it is personal and emotional. Those that do not want gun control are devoted; those that do not are fighting an uphill battle as a result.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. So when we have all these shootings, what do these people say is the answer?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Miranda posted:

Thanks, I appreciate your input. So when we have all these shootings, what do these people say is the answer?

More guns. If everybody was armed they could have shot the perpetrator before he had time to kill so many people.

No, I'm not joking; that is literally what their answer is. They think that the solution to mass shootings is a bunch of people with minimal qualifications and range time returning fire with deadly weapons in public areas.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Khizan posted:

More guns. If everybody was armed they could have shot the perpetrator before he had time to kill so many people.

No, I'm not joking; that is literally what their answer is. They think that the solution to mass shootings is a bunch of people with minimal qualifications and range time returning fire with deadly weapons in public areas.
This, or that the violent and reprehensible actions of a few are not justification for curtailing the rights of law-abiding, gun owning citizens. Frequently, the shootings are also pointed to as examples of how gun control does not, in fact, work.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The key to understanding American political discourse / emotional life is that Americans are hopelessly enchanted with the idea of a domineering father. Conservatives in particular are powerless against any rhetoric that references strong daddy. Strong daddy has a gun and he knows how to use it, he always fires true, even at a full gallop on his horsie, he beat up my teacher when my teacher made me feel bad, he runs his own business, so strong, he has a few kids that he is fond of in relation to their achievements, so much a dad.

What do you do when society takes a poo poo on you? Well, what would strong daddy do? He'd rise up and kick rear end and sort out the mess later, strong daddy doesn't care.

How can we stop the hurt? Strong daddy doesn't get hurt, he hurts back. Come at me gun bitches! I have a gun, and I'm very strong.

How can we have universal health care? Pssh. Daddy doesn't get sick. If he did he would fix it with willpower or judicious self surgery.

What about those who can't keep up with strong daddy? gently caress em, that's what my dad said. And he was very strong.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Von Humboldt posted:

This, or that the violent and reprehensible actions of a few are not justification for curtailing the rights of law-abiding, gun owning citizens. Frequently, the shootings are also pointed to as examples of how gun control does not, in fact, work.

Is it really a few any more though? I mean, more than one a day is getting out of the "a few" zone.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Miranda posted:

There are primarily two schools of thought on this as far as I've seen:

On one hand, you have the people who want to go ham with a weaponry-based approach -- put firearms in the hands of more people, abolish gun-free zones, and cultivate a kind of social self-defense mindset. The idea is that the kinds of people who carry out mass shootings tend to be looking for large groups of helpless people who are unable to retaliate. So, by putting guns in the hands of the intended victims, it's supposed to ward off those who are just looking for an easy power fantasy, or at least mitigate their ability to do harm.

On the other hand, you have the people who want to focus down with a people-based approach. Not necessarily neutering the availability of weapons or their capabilities, but introducing a system that tracks at-risk individuals and (this is a point of contention for many) potentially stops them from buying firearms in the first place. Basically Minority Report but for gun owners. There are also suggestions of mandatory mental health screenings and that kind of thing but, as you can imagine, it's hard to get people to all completely agree on something like that!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

SealHammer posted:

Am I the only one who thinks this would be really interesting to see, even once? It would sure break up the loathsome monotony of "Guy walks into place and point-blank executes a whole bunch of people in comically unhurried manner."

A 10+ victim mass shooting where most of the victims were killed by bystanders with good intentions, poor aim, and worse judgment is one of the very few situations I can think of that might get some form of effective gun control legislation passed.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I'm sure the original drafters of the second amendment, worldly 1790s chaps, would have wanted every citizen to have access to an assault rifle.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
I live in a very conservative town. First day of buck season is considered a holiday and kids are excused from school. I have fairly liberal views compared to most of the town, but I identify as a moderate as a whole. I have never heard anyone legitimately recommend more civilians with guns is a deterrent to these shootings. You occassionally get that one crazy guy from the sticks that comes into town and mentions X murder was stopped by a passerby with a gun, or that schools need more armed officers - but that is it. This seems like something liberals like to peg as the conservative arguement because it sounds dumb and silly, just like those wacky conservatives am I right?

Here is what it boils down to in as low bias as I can get: Conservatives dislike the concepts of more government intervention in anything (as hypocritical as that gets in the case of recieving welfare, it is is the general belief). They believe the constitution is not a "living" document and should not change with the times - this is why the arguement of forefather's intent will do nothing to sway them and only incite them more. They are a paranoid bunch who are very quick to point out sketchy numbers or statistics, which unfortunately democrats are fond of in this arguement - see hillary's 90 deaths a day comment (while this is true, only 1/3rd of those are from gun violence, most of the rest are suicides). They are very resistant to the concept of the US being like Europe - which they view as some sort of liberal hellhole. The common talking points of liberals w/r/t statistics, european comparisons in murders, and an antiquated constitution only serves to rile them up.

Conservatives mostly do believe in tougher restrictions such as mental or psychological tests (I hear this one often but never get any real examples) or a larger police force. The latter is in regards to urban crime - i.e. black on black. Most folks I talk these issues over with imply that the murder statistic is artificially raised due to the amount of homicides and drive-bys commited in urban areas. Areas like chicago, while having high crime conservatives contest, have already strict gun laws. Meaning gun restrictions only hurt lawful citizens and not those perpetrators who would have an illegeal gun regardless.

You do occassionally get complaints of movies/TV/games warping the children's minds from older conservatives, but that still ties into it being a belief that the issue is primarily psycological

Ultimately, conservatives see the attacks on gun ownership by liberals as an actual affront to their belief of what makes america america (and on personal liberties). They believe the liberal method will only hurt law abiding citizens while the real killers will have the guns regardless. This is more-or-less how your average conservative will think.

The issue, of course is they don't really pose actual methods to stop the problem. People will say they are for some sort of psychological test - but give no specefics. Occassionally someone will mention that drum mags should be completely banned - or guns easily modifiable to be fully auto should require a special permit, but that is it and even then that sentiment is very rare.

Liberals on the other hand very much view the guns themselves as the root of the problem. Which doesn't entirely jive with all moderates. Don't get me wrong, they will drop mental health and screening in their talking points but pose nothing meatier than conservatives - and then jump right into an attack the NRA establishment. Most moderates I think do want something in place as gun control. There is no need for a 100 round magazine. Ever. There is no need to a suppressor. Ever. I don't care if it's semi-auto, why do you need an RPK? However liberals seem to gloss over the mental health issue aspect of it more - which to me is the primary issue. Why are most of the mass shootings done by young white men who obviously have a distrubed past? If there is a pattern there must be a reason. Liberals want to fight the NRA (a joke organization pretty much) and take us out of the dark ages but I see little legislation proposed to deal with the root of the issue.

My father, growing up in this same town, told me of how all the boys would bring their rifles to school during hunting season and keep them in their lockers. A lot of them either just got out of the woods before class or were going back out after. It was normal and no one thought anything of it. At that same school now, you are not permitted to take your bookbag with you to class. You can not wear a long coat during class. Something changed, and it can't all be blamed on the guns themselves.

That said, this will likely stay a state issue. Until one side buckles and is willing to gradually tackle both problems, each side will be completely opposed to the other and consider them crazy. Each side wants to pander to their base and frame the other guys as crazy while leaving everyone else hopeless for compromise.

e: I spell like a poo poo

That Jerk Steve fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 3, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Khizan posted:

The police usually get their man heyooooooo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OP I've never been spree killed and I don't know anybody who has, for largely the same reason I don't know anyone who's been eaten by a shark even though shark week is demonstrably a thing on TV, but when an angry guy broke into my house at the crack of dawn and proceeded to start strangling my roommate in his bed a shotgun was really helpful in persuading him to sit down and discuss his problems civilly and wait for the police to arrive, which they did after a delay that I'm pretty sure was longer than two humans in sequence can last without air. In Australia I guess my roommate and possibly I would be dead, sucks to be us, but at least the TV wouldn't be so upsetting for you and after a couple seconds of showing pictures of my house they could get back to rerunning the best missing white women of the 2010s or whatever.

Violent crime has been dropping steadily at about the same rate everywhere in the developed world since about the same time in the early 90s, its statistical likelihood from place to place is almost perfectly lockstep a function of poverty and density and nothing else, and in the US the number of incidents that end in the (typically nonlethal) defensive use of a firearm by the victim is many times the number of homicides total, let alone by guns, let alone by spree killers. None of this makes for interesting news or matters to the kinds of people who want to start a moral panic, so hope remains that maybe gun violence will get to be this decade's Satanic ritual abuse.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 3, 2015

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

None of this makes for interesting news or matters to the kinds of people who want to start a moral panic, so hope remains that maybe gun violence will get to be this decade's Satanic ritual abuse.

Except that so far this year there has been at least 354 mass shootings (in this case four or more dead per instance) in the US. That's absolutely insane, and you can't pretend like gun violence is just something the media has hyped up because of ratings. From every other remotely comparable country the rate of mass shootings in the US and the attitude of the Republicans in particular towards it, is completely bizarre.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
This is about as succinct as it gets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgneY-jBWes

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

That Jerk Steve posted:

There is no need for a 100 round magazine. Ever.
There's no need for an automatic transmission in your car either. Ever. Just keep doing it manually, right? You don't really NEED a 20 gallon gas tank, right? There's plenty of gas stations here, and where would you be going that's so far anyways?

That Jerk Steve posted:

There is no need to a suppressor. Ever.
Good point, I guess I don't really need my ears. That hearing damage certainly won't be troublesome at all.

That Jerk Steve posted:

I don't care if it's semi-auto, why do you need an RPK?
Chilling effect, also how do you determine what is and isn't an RPK, also the fact that you consider a semi-auto RPK-based design to be equivalent to an RPK shows that you do not actually know how guns work. If you want to know why someone would want an RPK or any other given design for a given purpose, you can learn about and discuss these relative merits in their very own subforum

That Jerk Steve posted:

However liberals seem to gloss over the mental health issue aspect of it more - which to me is the primary issue. Why are most of the mass shootings done by young white men who obviously have a distrubed past?
I agree; Obviously anyone who is murdering several (strangers?friends?acquaintances?) and then themselves is not doing it simply because they can. I would point to education as a solution but I don't think it would work here; It is my personal belief that nobody actually knows the answer to this question, because our understanding of mental health is as primitive and misguided as a witch doctor faced with heart disease. All of the treatments we have were developed by trial and error, there is no real understanding of the mechanisms by which these things work etc. Ultimately the problem is that of individuals performing antisocial actions, right? But to which degree is the blame on the individual and to which degree is it on society? Each is so quick to blame the other completely. I agree that much of the anti-gun arguments ultimately are a rejection of paternalism. Ultimately the validity of these arguments in your eyes will be dependent on how much you trust individuals, and how much you trust governments.

Anyways, I'm going to finish this off by saying gun control is certainly not completely effective, and that not only do I not know how effective it actually is, but that I suspect it is wholly ineffective. Here are some photographs of firearms manufactured illicitly in Australia. There's many of them, so I've left links for the galleries.

https://homemadeguns.wordpress.com/2014/10/26/zip-guns-improvised-firearms-australia/

https://homemadeguns.wordpress.com/2014/08/04/homemade-submachine-guns-part-2-australia/

https://homemadeguns.wordpress.com/2014/10/26/p-a-luty-expedient-submachine-gun-examples/

https://homemadeguns.wordpress.com/2014/07/25/homemade-pistol-part-1/

Obviously there are more examples, but these are all Australian. There's no fundamental difference between guns made there and elsewhere, but I included just the Australian ones because that debate will be long and technical and I won't subject any poster who doesn't explicitly want to have it to it. Just please assume for the purpose of this discussion that all firearm designs are roughly equivalent.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 3, 2015

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

adamarama posted:

I'm sure the original drafters of the second amendment, worldly 1790s chaps, would have wanted every citizen to have access to an assault rifle.

I've heard an American Conservative (Originally French Canadain oddly enough) who cited the Puckle Gun as George Washington knowing where firearm technology was going. The Puckle Gun, for those who don't know, is more or less a gigantic revolver.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
Thanks for all your replies.

I definitely agree mental illness is a huge factor and definitely needs to be addressed (not just for this matter but in general). It's also always bothered me that conservatives are all for limited government - except for the most personal of things! Women's rights, marriage, healthcare, welfare. I've never understood that and would love to have that cognitive dissonance explained to me.

I certainly don't think the kind of reforms Australia implemented are realistic for this country. It was more background on why what I'm experiencing here is so foreign to me.

And I understand the stats say crime is going down, I realise it's more in our faces with the media. And as sockmuppet says - there have been more shootings than days in the year this year. Even if the overall trend is down, this is insane!

One thing I can't find a reason for - why can the CDC not perform research on gun violence? That seems like It should be in the purview.

As I've said though - I don't think gun control in the form Aus implement is realistic here. I've said repeatedly though, how is the status quo ok? Why are we not doing ANYTHING?

Another shooting today. Local high school on lockdown because a dude in the area shot his gf, she's dead. It obviously seems like here at least, most of the time these are targeted events. But bystanders/innocent victims have been killed also.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hazzard posted:

I've heard an American Conservative (Originally French Canadain oddly enough) who cited the Puckle Gun as George Washington knowing where firearm technology was going. The Puckle Gun, for those who don't know, is more or less a gigantic revolver.

that guy is dumb, afaik the US never even used Puckle guns during the revolutionary era, they tried out Belton flintlocks and, shortly afterwards, Girandoni and Nock rifles

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Miranda posted:

One thing I can't find a reason for - why can the CDC not perform research on gun violence? That seems like It should be in the purview.

Here's a short explanation: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-two-years-ago/

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I had a situation that is literally a gun control argument happen to me about a week ago.

A crazy rear end in a top hat followed me home, right up to the driveway, and yelled at me to get out of the car because my brights were on too close to his car (I wasn't even riding his rear end, it was about 10 car lengths away :psyduck: ). This guy, I found out later, had a gun. I ducked in my car and called for the help of a neighbor. The neighbor ran outside, with HIS gun, and got into his own car. The rear end in a top hat got back in his car and drove off after seeing the neighbor exit the home and the garage lights of a second house come on. rear end in a top hat, who is a neighbor, stood in the street with the gun in his pocket as my neighbor drove up and down his street slowly. rear end in a top hat apparently then decided to gently caress off and there were no further incidents after that. I happen to be in the process of moving anyway and will be out of this neighborhood in 2 days, so that should be the end of it.

I bring this up because, depending on who you ask, you could get a pro or anti gun argument out of this:

-Pro gun: I am a small woman with weak noodle arms. He was a male who could easily overpower me physically. If I had a gun, I could have protected myself without getting saved by the neighbor.
-Pro gun: rear end in a top hat saw that neighbor was packing heat and turned tail, an example of "an armed society is a polite society" in practice.

But:

-Anti gun: By ducking and calling for help, I did not escalate the situation further. If I was all SECOND AMENDMENT BITCH and hopped out of the car with my gun, one or both of us could be dead right now.
-Anti gun: If this hotheaded psycho had mental screening and was denied a license, maybe a gun would not have ended up in his hands in the first place.

Based on my experience I think that stricter gun control laws involving rigorous mental health and criminal history screenings would be the answer, in states that just have to have them. It's true that criminals would get their hands on them anyway but incidents like the one above, where the guy was a raging dick with a bad temper but probably not an actual criminal, would not be able to solve a minor annoyance with a shootout like something out of an old western.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 3, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

What kind of mental screening do you envision that would filter for road rage

like we can ID paranoid schizophrenics with a passable degree of accuracy but it seems pretty unfair to put random assholes' damage on them

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

What kind of mental screening do you envision that would filter for road rage

like we can ID paranoid schizophrenics with a passable degree of accuracy but it seems pretty unfair to put random assholes' damage on them

Generic anger management issues, maybe? If someone gets so road-raged that they're going to bust out their gun over it, I'm sure there would be some kind of record of being a nut before in their history like domestic abuse or something.

Mental screening good enough to prevent psychos from getting guns would never happen with the way the US currently handles mental health anyway, so it's a moot point because that would be a pipedream. We can't even handle the people we know are mentally ill.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Cuckoo posted:

Generic anger management issues, maybe? If someone gets so road-raged that they're going to bust out their gun over it, I'm sure there would be some kind of record of being a nut before in their history like domestic abuse or something.

Conviction of domestic violence is already a dis-qualifier for firearm ownership at the Federal level.

quote:

Specifically, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1-9) prohibits the following from possessing, shipping/
transporting, or receiving any firearm or ammunition:
(1) a person convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year;
(2) a person who is a fugitive from justice;
(3) a person who is an unlawful user of or who is addicted to a controlled substance;
(4) a person who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been admitted
to a mental institution;
(5) an alien who is unlawfully in the United States or who has been admitted to the
United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
(6) a person who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable
conditions;
(7) a person who, having been a citizen of the United States, renounces his citizenship;
(8) a person subject to a court order that was issued after a hearing in which the person
participated, which order restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening
an intimate partner or partner’s child, and which order includes a finding that the
person is a credible threat to such partner or partner’s child, or by its terms prohibits
the use, attempted use or threatened use of such force against such partner or
partner’s child;
(9) a person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

"Generic anger management issues" is pretty goddamn broad. I scream and yell at drivers from the confines of my own vehicle all the time, but never once has it crossed my mind to draw my legally owned and carried handgun and open fire on them.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 3, 2015

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

charliebravo77 posted:

Conviction of domestic violence is already a dis-qualifier for firearm ownership at the Federal level.

"Generic anger management issues" is pretty goddamn broad. I scream and yell at drivers from the confines of my own vehicle all the time, but never once has it crossed my mind to draw my legally owned and carried handgun and open fire on them.

I wasn't suggesting that I had the perfect magical answer for everything. In fact, I said that really rooting out the true psychos would be extremely difficult if not impossible to implement nationwide. If I could wave a magic wand, or had billions of dollars, to do it myself I would but we all know the world just doesn't work that way. Even if it did, there would always be people flying under the radar.

I posted my anecdotal but true story to point out that even in real-life situations outside of the typical mass-shooting events, there can be pro and against arguments made.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

charliebravo77 posted:

you should probably chill out a bit dude, smoke a blunt or something

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

you should probably chill out a bit dude, smoke a blunt or something

I see what you're trying to do there :v:

(3) a person who is an unlawful user of or who is addicted to a controlled substance;

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

charliebravo77 posted:

I open fire on them all the time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlzoL-wQwio

charliebravo77 posted:

I see what you're trying to do there :v:

lol if someone would rather have guns than weed

"oh man i'm gonna have so much fun sober at the firing range! I can't wait to spend 5 minutes reloading this clip! that's almost two whole minutes of firing if i take time to aim! POW!"

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Cuckoo posted:

-Pro gun: I am a small woman with weak noodle arms. He was a male who could easily overpower me physically. If I had a gun, I could have protected myself without getting saved by the neighbor.

But:

-Anti gun: By ducking and calling for help, I did not escalate the situation further. If I was all SECOND AMENDMENT BITCH and hopped out of the car with my gun, one or both of us could be dead right now.

Not sure if you're presenting these two points as the same scenario, but it's entirely possible (and typically preferable) to use the gun defensively, attempting to retreat, barricade yourself, or otherwise disengage, rather than just drawing on the dude.

Also, totally unrelated:

Cuckoo posted:

because my brights were on too close to his car (I wasn't even riding his rear end, it was about 10 car lengths away :psyduck: ).

That is way too close to have your brights on. Usually it's like 200-300ft minimum, if not more. Hell I usually dim them if I see a car ahead of me within like, a quarter mile or something just because I know how goddamn annoying it is to have brights in your mirrors for an extended period.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

LogisticEarth posted:

I usually dim them if I see a car ahead of me within like, a quarter mile or something just because I know how goddamn annoying it is to have brights in your mirrors for an extended period.

Same.

Stinky_Pete posted:

"oh man i'm gonna have so much fun sober at the firing range! I can't wait to spend 5 minutes reloading this clip! that's almost two whole minutes of firing if i take time to aim! POW!"

Speak for yourself dude :colbert:, some of us are nerds and really do find fiddling with detailed, finely-machined mechanisms more enjoyable than smoking the devil's lettuce.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Honestly we've got it somewhat right. It should take a judge and legal proceedings to revoke someone's rights. It's the same argument held against Guantanamo Bay and terror watchlists.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

Miranda posted:

Another shooting today. Local high school on lockdown because a dude in the area shot his gf, she's dead. It obviously seems like here at least, most of the time these are targeted events. But bystanders/innocent victims have been killed also.

This same incident could just as easily happened without a gun. Could have been a knife, a bat, or any weapon.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I suppose I'm pro guns, but really I'm anti dumb gun control politics. This is mostly because I find gun control advocates and politicians to be shamefully intellectually dishonest. Every time I hear someone with a talking point about 'gun deaths' who knows full well how that two thirds of gun deaths are suicides, I think they're full of poo poo. Every time I hear about 'assault weapons' which is meaningless or how high capacity magazines are some kind of newfangled thing that hasn't been around for forty years, full of poo poo. Every time I hear about 'common sense gun control' without describing one example of what that would be, full of poo poo. Every time I hear about gun buybacks or other horrible policy, full of poo poo. I'm anti gun control because I've yet to see solid evidence (or even solid logic really) that economically viable gun control policy would be effective in preventing non law abiding persons from carrying out gun crimes. (The closest I've heard of is dramatically increased penalties for having a gun merely present during any felony, which again would be primarily effective in locking up lots of people, not preventing mass murders.)

In my experience, when traditional taking points are challenged your average armchair expert says 'surely we should not let people who are mentally ill own guns, who could disagree with that'. Forgetting about the adverse consequences for getting people treated, there's zero thought about how you'd even begin to implement such a policy. No one seemed to know that Adam Lanza or Dylan Klebold or Va Tech guy were as dangerous as they were.

All of that being said, Republicans are always going to look like assholes after something like San Bernardino happens. Most of them are assholes. I think Democrats look just as bad by using tragedy to get retweets but that's surely up for debate.

antiga fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 3, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Stinky_Pete posted:

I open fire on them all the time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlzoL-wQwio

lol if someone would rather have guns than weed

if it takes you five minutes to reload you need to smoke a little less first. Time and place for everything, dude, seek the middle path

antiga posted:

I suppose I'm pro guns, but really I'm anti dumb gun control politics. This is mostly because I find gun control advocates and politicians to be shamefully intellectually dishonest. Every time I hear someone with a talking point about 'gun deaths' who knows full well how that two thirds of gun deaths are suicides, I think they're full of poo poo. Every time I hear about 'assault weapons' which is meaningless or how high capacity magazines are some kind of newfangled thing that hasn't been around for forty years, full of poo poo. Every time I hear about 'common sense gun control' without describing one example of what that would be, full of poo poo. Every time I hear about gun buybacks or other horrible policy, full of poo poo. I'm anti gun control because I've yet to see solid evidence (or even solid logic really) that economically viable gun control policy would be effective in preventing non law abiding persons from carrying out gun crimes. (The closest I've heard of is dramatically increased penalties for having a gun merely present during any felony, which again would be primarily effective in locking up lots of people, not preventing mass murders.)

In my experience, when traditional taking points are challenged your average armchair expert says 'surely we should not let people who are mentally ill own guns, who could disagree with that'. Forgetting about the adverse consequences for getting people treated, there's zero thought about how you'd even begin to implement such a policy. No one seemed to know that Adam Lanza or Dylan Klebold or Va Tech guy were as dangerous as they were.

All of that being said, Republicans are always going to look like assholes after something like San Bernardino happens. Most of them are assholes. I think Democrats look just as bad by using tragedy to get retweets but that's surely up for debate.

american gun politics have had everything to do with signaling to the base and nothing to do with actual crime since the 1934 NFA banned people chopping down rifles to make them into semi-concealable ghetto pistols, but not actual pistols being used by criminals to sneak around with firearms and bushwhack each other in populated areas.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I don't even bother trying to say what the law should be anymore, and just look down from my high horse on all the denizens of a culture that values violence and the ability to produce violence over all else.

Guns are a dull uncreative hobby and people who fetishize guns can't take a jab at their precious token of personal agency.

This is Exceptional America, full of
Strange ways
Can't reform 'em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Grimshak posted:

This same incident could just as easily happened without a gun. Could have been a knife, a bat, or any weapon.

Okay but in the case of mass shootings, it's a lot harder to stab/beat to death 14 people.

• Locked thread