Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

sebzilla posted:

These things would have not happened if there were no guns.

Next thing I want to know is how did guns get to be so plentiful in the U.S. versus other countries? When, chronologically, did gun ownership per capita in the U.S. reach into the dozens as opposed to one or two and when did people really start to stockpile guns? Was it during the Wild West period? During the Civil Rights movement of the 60s/70s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Buried alive posted:

He didn't claim he didn't care to alleviate it, he claimed "society" didn't care to alleviate it. Ask for clarification on that.

As for why they may not count, a number of people have pointed out that gang violence is mostly a result of poverty and wealth inequality. Attempting to fix that would probably go a long way towards reducing gun violence in general. What people freak out over is stuff like Elliot Rodger. He seems to be a privileged white male MRA personified from a wealthy background, and he still went on a spree. Fixing poverty won't alleviate whatever it is that causes middle-class white people to freak out. If anything, that might make things worse because "MAH PRIVILEGEL" :argh:. Yes, I'm generalizing for comedic value. Deal with it.

But cases like Elliot Rodger are vanishingly rare compared to the whole of gun violence, which is primarily economically driven.

If the argument is about "how to stop gun violence", "reducing wealth inequality" seems like a reasonable mitigation with many other positive benefits. Plus it avoids annoying and intractable second amendment debates.

It would get us 90% of the way there. We can think about the remainder down the line.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

it is posted:

Actually, making suicide more inconvenient is a great way to prevent suicide. Suicide isn't like murder; people aren't so determined to kill themselves that they'll use whatever method they have available. They'll psych themselves up to it and if that doesn't pan out and they're forced to reconsider they almost universally regret it. An example: putting nets and fences next to bridges actually reduces the overall suicide rate of the surrounding area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_barrier

Murder isn't like this either; the unstoppable psychopath home invader is a suburban boogeyman more than a reality. In real life, murder rates go down when its raining. Violent criminals are in fact human beings and subject to the same trivial motivations as the rest of us.

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Next thing I want to know is how did guns get to be so plentiful in the U.S. versus other countries? When, chronologically, did gun ownership per capita in the U.S. reach into the dozens as opposed to one or two and when did people really start to stockpile guns? Was it during the Wild West period? During the Civil Rights movement of the 60s/70s?

It's to avoid this;

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

ashgromnies posted:

But cases like Elliot Rodger are vanishingly rare compared to the whole of gun violence, which is primarily economically driven.

If the argument is about "how to stop gun violence", "reducing wealth inequality" seems like a reasonable mitigation with many other positive benefits. Plus it avoids annoying and intractable second amendment debates.

It would get us 90% of the way there. We can think about the remainder down the line.

This is a good point, I'll reduce wealth inequality over lunch and see how that goes.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Mahnarch posted:

It's to avoid this;

At least this is an argument that could make sense, although if memory serves not all of these dictators seriously disarmed their populace. Most rose to power through an armed civil conflict or even democracy. So armed resistance did occur, but failed. If an American tyranny were to come about, you can be fairly certain it would be backed by a large and armed proportion of the population anyway.

The idea that a dictator wouldn't be able to flourish because every morally upright American under God would defend themselves to the death their property when the Ronald McDonald Sturmabteilung stomps up in red, white and blue jackboots is a touch naive, I think.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mahnarch posted:

It's to avoid this;

...But that has nothing to do with my question. :confused: I asked when and how, not why.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

...But that has nothing to do with my question. :confused: I asked when and how, not why.

No one will be able to tell you with any real authority. Manufacturers would probably be in the best source based on units shipped.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

sebzilla posted:

Poof all guns in the US disappear. Poof criminals have guns brought in from Mexico.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

sebzilla posted:

What life benefits does being a glib idiot afford you?? Why are you trolling me so brutally

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tremblay posted:

Poof all guns in the US disappear. Poof criminals have guns brought in from Mexico.

Cops shoot homeless man with illegal Mexican guns? Non-specific argument people also have shipped in illegal guns for the purpose of shooting people who annoy them in the feet? Ok, fine, your country is hosed, continue shooting each other, it's probably for the best.

wiffle ball bat posted:

What life benefits does being a glib idiot afford you?? Why are you trolling me so brutally

I have all this pent up frustration from not shooting anything with guns.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The answer to this is "never" because the per capita rate is still around 1 per citizen. I've seen estimates of 80 million gun owners or so, so assuming 300-350 million firearms in the US, that's around 3-4 firearms per gun owner. I have no idea about actual statistics on this, but the super-hoarders are few and far between. 3-4 firearms is nothing out of the ordinary and makes perfect sense if you think about the various types of weapons. A handgun, rifle, shotgun, and maybe a plinker/varmint gun cover most common sporting and defense uses, as well as target shooting.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
confused by thing---->>>seek to understand thing----->>>learn information about thing---->>>become a person who knows a thing

it's a good system, works for a lot of people

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

it is posted:

This is a good point, I'll reduce wealth inequality over lunch and see how that goes.

Yeah as soon as I reduced wealth inequality there were like 3 mass shootings so I don't know what to think anymore

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Governor Malloy (CT) announced his intent today to ban gun sales to all persons on the federal no-fly list. You know, the list that is not regulated in any way whatsoever, doesn't require a criminal conviction, and is nigh impossible to be removed from. You're all one really bad internet comedy forum post from being banned from buying a gun in CT, ever.

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-no-fly-list-connecticut-20151210-story.html
https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-freely/until-no-fly-list-fixed-it-shouldnt-be-used-restrict-peoples-freedoms

Executive orders seem to be the flavor of the month for forcing through terrible ideas because they would never pass the legislative branch.

antiga fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 11, 2015

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

antiga posted:

Governor Malloy (CT) announced his intent today to ban gun sales to all persons on the federal no-fly list. You know, the list that is not regulated in any way whatsoever, doesn't require a criminal conviction, and is nigh impossible to be removed from. You're all one really bad internet comedy forum post from being banned from buying a gun in CT, ever.

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-no-fly-list-connecticut-20151210-story.html
https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-freely/until-no-fly-list-fixed-it-shouldnt-be-used-restrict-peoples-freedoms

Executive orders seem to be the flavor of the month for forcing through terrible ideas because they would never pass the legislative branch.

Well that's one way to burn money.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Rudager posted:

Is it really that common for people to just break into homes and cause injury or death for the fun of it in America?

There's a lot of crazy in America. It's old data since it isn't compiled regularly apparently, but according to the US DOJ, between 2003 and 2007 there were over a million home invasions with a member of the household home. Of those 266,560 cases were reported where the person in the home was a victim of violence.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

sebzilla posted:

Cops shoot homeless man with illegal Mexican guns? Non-specific argument people also have shipped in illegal guns for the purpose of shooting people who annoy them in the feet? Ok, fine, your country is hosed, continue shooting each other, it's probably for the best.

I'm sorry, did we pivot topics because you didn't like the rebuttal?

P.S. Poverty and the crime surrounding it are a large part of the reason police shootings happen in the first place.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I for one can't wait for Obama to pass his executive order that the police can't have guns

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

ashgromnies posted:

I agree, but the OP asked about mass shootings, not gun violence in general, so that's what I was responding to. Mass shootings, to me, have a theme of something like "an individual who is not part of an (illegitimate?) group which already pursues violent actions comes to believe that killing a bunch of <target group> is the answer to the world's (or at least his) problems, and then does so in a short time frame with one or more firearms." That belief part might narrow it down a bit too much, but I think that's a fair stab at a definition that includes most of what is generally thought of as a mass shooting while excluding most of what is generally not thought of as a mass shooting. Now maybe it's wrong that some things aren't thought of as mass shootings, like gang drive-by's and such, but if there's disagreement there then that needs to be settled before we can talk about mass shootings at all. Maybe we should have a taxonomy of mass shootings, lone-wolf types vs. those motivated by groups and such.

Except of course the thread seems to have moved on to gun violence in general and gun control, so V:v:V

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Oddly enough, there was a fair amount of gun control in the (not really all that very) Wild West. In a significant number of towns you were required to leave your weapon with the local sheriff as a condition of entry and got it back when you left.

Sadly the legend of the gunslinging cowboy duels are more fiction than fact, with a couple of exceptions.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Geniasis posted:

Oddly enough, there was a fair amount of gun control in the (not really all that very) Wild West. In a significant number of towns you were required to leave your weapon with the local sheriff as a condition of entry and got it back when you left.

Sadly the legend of the gunslinging cowboy duels are more fiction than fact, with a couple of exceptions.

In the Antebullum south they were all about making sure that people wanting a gun had to get permission from the local sheriff to get a gun. Want to make bets over who was allowed to have a gun and who was denied?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

thrakkorzog posted:

In the Antebullum south they were all about making sure that people wanting a gun had to get permission from the local sheriff to get a gun. Want to make bets over who was allowed to have a gun and who was denied?

The great-grandparents of the same people that may-issue states allow/deny now you mean

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The great-grandparents of the same people that may-issue states allow/deny now you mean

amusingly inverted in this video

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I've spent some time digesting all the thoughts and information in this thread, and have come to the conclusion that America's gun violence crisis could be averted by enforcing all weapons sold in America be designed as horrifyingly realistic penis simulacra. They can still serve the purpose of self-defense, but no longer are fetishised by whackjobs, and the desire to concealed carry falls through the floor.

It would be even better if every male gun owner was forced to take a plaster cast of their own junk upon which his own guns would be modelled, but of course, I'm a reasonable guy and that might be practically a little difficult to implement.

This method solves almost every gun related ill in America, while preserving the second Amendment. God bless.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

it is posted:

It seems easier and more socially beneficial than getting guns off the streets and passing/enforcing more gun control laws, so please do.

It's like you have no historical perspective of the widening wealth gap and the actually effective things politicians have been able to do in the past that have unfortunately fallen by the wayside, thanks in no small part to people like you.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Buried alive posted:

I agree, but the OP asked about mass shootings, not gun violence in general, so that's what I was responding to. Mass shootings, to me, have a theme of something like "an individual who is not part of an (illegitimate?) group which already pursues violent actions comes to believe that killing a bunch of <target group> is the answer to the world's (or at least his) problems, and then does so in a short time frame with one or more firearms." That belief part might narrow it down a bit too much, but I think that's a fair stab at a definition that includes most of what is generally thought of as a mass shooting while excluding most of what is generally not thought of as a mass shooting. Now maybe it's wrong that some things aren't thought of as mass shootings, like gang drive-by's and such, but if there's disagreement there then that needs to be settled before we can talk about mass shootings at all. Maybe we should have a taxonomy of mass shootings, lone-wolf types vs. those motivated by groups and such.

Except of course the thread seems to have moved on to gun violence in general and gun control, so V:v:V

Indiscriminate mass shootings are pretty rare. Statistically there are many other things you should be worried about first -- the current hysteria is more a product of the media than any legitimate danger.

I would also like to point out that many of the indiscriminate mass shooters are socially isolated people without much opportunity. They generally feel ostracized from society, and an anger and elitism towards it. A system that has a focus on involving people, getting them to participate in society, and not letting them fall through the cracks could help those situations as well. BF Skinner was right that humans can be pretty effectively conditioned. We can see it in the social differences of countries with more indiscriminate mass killings versus those without.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jeza posted:

I've spent some time digesting all the thoughts and information in this thread, and have come to the conclusion that America's gun violence crisis could be averted by enforcing all weapons sold in America be designed as horrifyingly realistic penis simulacra. They can still serve the purpose of self-defense, but no longer are fetishised by whackjobs, and the desire to concealed carry falls through the floor.

It would be even better if every male gun owner was forced to take a plaster cast of their own junk upon which his own guns would be modelled, but of course, I'm a reasonable guy and that might be practically a little difficult to implement.

This method solves almost every gun related ill in America, while preserving the second Amendment. God bless.

I support the Cronenberg Amendment

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

Indiscriminate mass shootings are pretty rare. Statistically there are many other things you should be worried about first -- the current hysteria is more a product of the media than any legitimate danger.

I would also like to point out that many of the indiscriminate mass shooters are socially isolated people without much opportunity. They generally feel ostracized from society, and an anger and elitism towards it. A system that has a focus on involving people, getting them to participate in society, and not letting them fall through the cracks could help those situations as well. BF Skinner was right that humans can be pretty effectively conditioned. We can see it in the social differences of countries with more indiscriminate mass killings versus those without.

Social alienation had nothing to do with Holmes killing spree

quote:

According to Holmes, during his childhood, he was frightened of what he called "Nail Ghosts" that would hammer on the walls at night. He would also see shadows and "flickers" at the corners of his eyes, which would fight each other with firearms and other weapons. Holmes saw Margaret Roth once before she sent him to psychiatrist Lynne Fenton.[25] Holmes was depressed and "obsessed with killing for over a decade"

That dude was legitimately insane from childhood or birth. You either support some form of gun control or you support his right to have guns. How can there be any middle ground here?

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

ashgromnies posted:

It seems easier and more socially beneficial than getting guns off the streets and passing/enforcing more gun control laws, so please do.

It's like you have no historical perspective of the widening wealth gap and the actually effective things politicians have been able to do in the past that have unfortunately fallen by the wayside, thanks in no small part to people like you.

I was making fun of you for treating "reduce wealth inequality" like an easy problem with a one-step solution.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

it is posted:

I was making fun of you for treating "reduce wealth inequality" like an easy problem with a one-step solution.

Except he never said that. He said it was easier and far more beneficial than trying to enact strong gun regulation and eliminate a significant portion of the firearms in the US. That doesn't translate into "one step solution". The point is that nearly everyone can get behind more prosperity, less poverty, and less crime. It's an overwhelmingly positive goal that improves peoples quality of life and doesn't trample on their constitutional and basic rights.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

LogisticEarth posted:

Except he never said that. He said it was easier and far more beneficial than trying to enact strong gun regulation and eliminate a significant portion of the firearms in the US. That doesn't translate into "one step solution". The point is that nearly everyone can get behind more prosperity, less poverty, and less crime. It's an overwhelmingly positive goal that improves peoples quality of life and doesn't trample on their constitutional and basic rights.

That's commie talk.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

waitwhatno posted:

That dude was legitimately insane from childhood or birth. You either support some form of gun control or you support his right to have guns. How can there be any middle ground here?

The challenge is defining criteria that should be used to disqualify a person from purchasing, getting that information into NICS in a timely fashion, doing so without violating that individuals privacy rights, and creating a process that works to get the hold removed after folks are healthy again. None of that is easy, and no one seems to want to tackle it.

In general getting records in to NICS in a timely, and correct manner seems to be an issue.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Tremblay posted:

The challenge is defining criteria that should be used to disqualify a person from purchasing, getting that information into NICS in a timely fashion, doing so without violating that individuals privacy rights, and creating a process that works to get the hold removed after folks are healthy again. None of that is easy, and no one seems to want to tackle it.

In general getting records in to NICS in a timely, and correct manner seems to be an issue.

Privacy rights don't mean anything if the psych evaluator believes they are a risk to themselves or others. Situations such as "this person suffers from severe delusions and violent tendencies. If you give them a gun they very well may do something with it" should definitely count into that.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Crazyeyes posted:

Privacy rights don't mean anything if the psych evaluator believes they are a risk to themselves or others. Situations such as "this person suffers from severe delusions and violent tendencies. If you give them a gun they very well may do something with it" should definitely count into that.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. However working on this kind of minutia no matter how helpful:

1. Doesn't rally the base
2. Doesn't make nice sound bites for politicians

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Tremblay posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with you. However working on this kind of minutia no matter how helpful:

1. Doesn't rally the base
2. Doesn't make nice sound bites for politicians

Sadly agreed.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Additional question, spurred on by the budget negotiations. What is the counterargument to CDC funding into gun-related deaths? I know funding has been stripped for a long time, and a tit-for-tat trade has been proposed that would lift the ban in exchange in for removing the ban on US oil exports. The NRA is upset about this possibility, and I read that the guy who originally added the language banning funding for studies has regretted it ever since.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

There is no ban and never was; the CDC published one methodologically sloppy study by a researcher who'd previously expressed strong anti-gun sentiments that the NRA and conservative politicians interpreted as the CDC using public funding to stump for Clinton's pet policies, and in 96 Congress earmarked the exact portion of their budget that went to that particular study to research brain injury instead. The CDC at the time stopped making definitive gun-related policy recommendations (they continued to track firearm-related fatalities), Democrats started spinning it into some elaborate conspiracy by the gun Elders of Zion to suppress the terrible secret that the Democrats were right all along, the CDC resumed research into gun violence but the results weren't OMG BAN ASSAULT RIFLES NOW so nobody paid attention and Democrats kept on truckin' with the exact same talking point as though nothing had happened.

You will, notably, have a pretty hard time finding the specific text or any details about these studies for how high-profile they are, and none of the articles pushing this narrative will either name, link, or clearly describe them, because their actual findings are far less interesting or useful than the myth that the facts aren't on the author's side because of a shadowy plot to suppress The Truth. So here they are

Here's the 1993 Kellerman study that pissed everyone off http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199310073291506
Here's a 2003 report specifically on the effects of gun laws http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm
Here's the one Obama commissioned and then abruptly stopped talking about in 2013 http://www.nap.edu/read/18319/chapter/1
Here's a CDC study investigating a particular community in detail, from this year http://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dms/files/cdcgunviolencereport10315.pdf

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 12, 2015

raven4267
May 7, 2009
I have to say I am impressed on how polite this gun discussion is, compared to the poo poo shows that go on in the so called debate and discussion forum. I have only read a couple of condescending comments from people who hate guns as well as hate the people who own them.

raven4267 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

it is posted:

Almost like believing "reduce the number of guns on the street" is an easy/possible thing to do.

It's politically impossible. Reducing wealth inequality can at least be spun as protective nationalism and grab some republicans, because there's no ideological consistency to them.

I've been suggesting this idea lately and have had plenty of right wingers say it sounds like a great idea because it doesn't touch their guns. That's step one to convincing them to support full socialism without telling them it's what they're supporting.

• Locked thread