Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Thanatosian posted:

A gun is a "tool" in the same way a cigarette is: the only thing it's good at is killing people. It's a murder stick.

Projecting the potential for lethal force in a defensive scenario /= murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

waitwhatno posted:

The only way for the Aurora massacre to happen is easy and legal access to lots of guns for the mentally ill.

lmao why dont you take a deep breath and a chill pill and wash it down with a cold brewski and sit cross leged on a yoga mat for an hour and then sit back down at the computer chair and revise this statement so it's not bugnuts wacko

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jeza posted:

The right has become outmoded. I fail to see how it has been undermined in anyway, on the contrary it has and is being fulfilled beyond the wildest dreams of its creators. More arms than people, and each one probably several times more deadly than a flintlock pistol. But the right was designed to allow citizenry to overthrow government, not for the citizenry to arm themselves to the teeth. Guns are part of the clause to stop a tyrannical government legislating against arms, then monopolising the use of force. The entire clause is probably derived from a 17th piece of English legislation where the Protestant majority were given permission to be armed, while Catholics were disbarred. By establishing a right to arms, nobody can be disenfranchised in this way. People are blind to associate this Amendment with self-defense, because guns in the 18th century were not shot without planning. A gun in your house was not loaded or primed with powder at all times, let alone the concealed carry laws that now come part and parcel with America and guns.

If you wanted to restore the right to a point where it serves some good, you could just as well give every of-age citizen an unloaded weapon then establish citizen run ammo stores, where they can go to become armed Militia when the US government needs overthrowing. Obviously possessing ammo for unlicensed purposes, i.e. hunting or sport purposes would then be a crime.

The purpose wasn't to let militias overthrow the government. The purpose was to eliminate the distinction between a discrete military caste, who rules as they please, and the subjugated people, who are ruled, because when those two are separate votes only matter as much as the former feels like letting them matter. If you don't see how that's been systematically eroded away regardless of whether grandma has a derringer to ventilate bandits with I don't know what to tell you

Use of arms in self-defense is a natural and acceptable consequence of democratizing force, and was very definitely a thing that went on in the 18th century, but it isn't the point, no. Nor was hunting.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 9, 2015

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

I'm sure Alameda County really needs this...

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
i dont understand how anyone has the stamina to have this same slapfight again

about 30k people die every year in america from guns

the maximum possible number of people killed in "mass shootings" using the least credible most inflated statistics is about 500. a credible number is about 40.

we're talking about outliers here. statistical anomalies. it's a discrete topic of conversation, not really relevant to the second amendment. selling guns to a crazy person is already illegal. those other 29,960 gun homicides in the us are not relevant either. it's a weird thing, what's up with mass shootings? does anybody know? can anyone make any definitive statements relating to the why of mass shootings that aren't just a dank facebook meme stretched out to 1000 words? what is up? who are these people?? what do they want? what does shooting 30 first graders accomplish that setting 30 first graders on fire wouldn't?? fire bombs are super easy to make. bombs like the boston marathon bombs, even easier!

adam lanza was insanely goofy looking, and some kind autistic pedophile!! what the hell does it all mean!!!

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

i find his actions disturbing but i cant help but laugh every time i see a picture of him! wow!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
That dude looks like a dude the nerds beat up to recoup milk money losses to bullies.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
that neck makes a pencil look girthy

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

wiffle ball bat posted:

i dont understand how anyone has the stamina to have this same slapfight again

about 30k people die every year in america from guns

the maximum possible number of people killed in "mass shootings" using the least credible most inflated statistics is about 500. a credible number is about 40.

we're talking about outliers here. statistical anomalies. it's a discrete topic of conversation, not really relevant to the second amendment. selling guns to a crazy person is already illegal. those other 29,960 gun homicides in the us are not relevant either. it's a weird thing, what's up with mass shootings? does anybody know? can anyone make any definitive statements relating to the why of mass shootings that aren't just a dank facebook meme stretched out to 1000 words? what is up? who are these people?? what do they want? what does shooting 30 first graders accomplish that setting 30 first graders on fire wouldn't?? fire bombs are super easy to make. bombs like the boston marathon bombs, even easier!

Just a note, there aren't 29k firearm homicides in the US a year. There are about 12k. Most of the rest of that 30k number is suicides, which are tragic, but aren't going to be stopped by making it harder for criminals to get guns unless we criminalize mental illness.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Liquid Communism posted:

Just a note, there aren't 29k firearm homicides in the US a year. There are about 12k. Most of the rest of that 30k number is suicides, which are tragic, but aren't going to be stopped by making it harder for criminals to get guns unless we criminalize mental illness.

my bad!!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm going to create a new country and enshrine mans right to candy canes in the constitution. Then in a few hundred years we'll get to see idiots get insane with rage when someone tries to take away their candy canes. People will be open-carrying semi-sweet candy canes tricked out with tactical licorice rails and underslung mint-launchers, much to the chagrin of everyday cavity-fearing citizens and their children.

"FROM MY COLD, DEAD, SLIGHTLY STICKY HANDS!!!"

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The purpose wasn't to let militias overthrow the government. The purpose was to eliminate the distinction between a discrete military caste, who rules as they please, and the subjugated people, who are ruled, because when those two are separate votes only matter as much as the former feels like letting them matter. If you don't see how that's been systematically eroded away regardless of whether grandma has a derringer to ventilate bandits with I don't know what to tell you

Use of arms in self-defense is a natural and acceptable consequence of democratizing force, and was very definitely a thing that went on in the 18th century, but it isn't the point, no. Nor was hunting.

I did refer to this here: "Guns are part of the clause to stop a tyrannical government legislating against arms, then monopolising the use of force." And militias overthrowing a corrupt gov't is part of it.

If the right has been eroded away, the reason it has been eroded is unrelated to America's level of civilian armament, which is massive, or its theoretical ability to form militia. It's just that what constitutes the use of force and power in a modern society is so far beyond being contained in a few rifles and pistols that they have been rendered irrelevant. I don't see it as having been eroded, simply superseded. You could tell me a few ways the Second Amendment has been meaningfully eroded though? I googled for some examples and I just get crackpots talking about how bureaucracy slowing down their concealed carry permits is a liberal, leftist agenda.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jeza posted:

"Guns are part of the clause to stop a tyrannical government legislating against arms, then monopolising the use of force." And militias overthrowing a corrupt gov't is part of it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jeza posted:

I did refer to this here: "Guns are part of the clause to stop a tyrannical government legislating against arms, then monopolising the use of force." And militias overthrowing a corrupt gov't is part of it.

If the right has been eroded away, the reason it has been eroded is unrelated to America's level of civilian armament, which is massive, or its theoretical ability to form militia. It's just that what constitutes the use of force and power in a modern society is so far beyond being contained in a few rifles and pistols that they have been rendered irrelevant. I don't see it as having been eroded, simply superseded. You could tell me a few ways the Second Amendment has been meaningfully eroded though? I googled for some examples and I just get crackpots talking about how bureaucracy slowing down their concealed carry permits is a liberal, leftist agenda.

You might want to ask the Panthers, if you can find surviving ones.

The official alternatives the founders attempted to a professional military class started coming apart almost immediately, and were soon replaced by a fulltime standing army (plus the draft). This doesn't make them any less correct about the latter's corrosive effect on democracy, though, and we've known it all along. That's that military-industrial complex peacenik hippies like Eisenhower keep bitching about, say.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 9, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
A common American argument for owning guns is the need to defend yourself from others.

But how do people from other countries feel about this approach? What is their notion of what it means to protect yourself (eg from home invaders, etc) where gun ownership does not come into play? Do you simply rely on calling the police or what?

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Liquid Communism posted:

Actually, making suicide more inconvenient is a great way to prevent suicide. Suicide isn't like murder; people aren't so determined to kill themselves that they'll use whatever method they have available. They'll psych themselves up to it and if that doesn't pan out and they're forced to reconsider they almost universally regret it. An example: putting nets and fences next to bridges actually reduces the overall suicide rate of the surrounding area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_barrier

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

A common American argument for owning guns is the need to defend yourself from others.

But how do people from other countries feel about this approach? What is their notion of what it means to protect yourself (eg from home invaders, etc) where gun ownership does not come into play? Do you simply rely on calling the police or what?

Well, yeah. And not get involved with organized crime. It helps that there are fewer people around with guns that we need to defend ourselves from. It's just not a big thing people go around worrying about, other than the usual common sense measures you take to stay safe in a big city. The possibility of a home invasion has never occured to me. It's probably because I don't own large amounts of valuables, I'm sure paranoid pensioners who keep their money under their beds worry more about it than I do, possibly gun ownership is more common among them.

Last year (I think) there was an above average number of rapes here, and there was much in the media about how women should and could protect themselves - aquiring guns was not even mentioned as a possibility, or brought up at all. The entire culture is just so completely different, which is why the "MAH GUNS!"-reaction a lot of people in this thread are having, is incredibly strange to watch. The current big media debate is whether or not the police should be allowed to carry weapons at all times (which they've been doing for a while as an "emergency measure" against terrorism - but it's not an emergency measure when it's been going on for close to a year, so people are asking if they should make it official or just go back to the old ways.)

There are actually 1.3 million registered guns owned by the civilian population of Norway (there are slightly over 5 million people living here in total), and 1 in 10 people own one or more, but guns are for hunting and sport, we just have a lot of hunters (over 200 000, apparently!) and people shooting for sport. Owning a gun for self defence is a completely foreign thought for everyone exept lunatics and criminals who feel they have to defend themselves against other criminals with guns.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thanatosian posted:

A gun is a "tool" in the same way a cigarette is: the only thing it's good at is killing people. It's a murder stick.

This video explains why your wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC03hmS1Brk

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

it is posted:

Actually, making suicide more inconvenient is a great way to prevent suicide. Suicide isn't like murder; people aren't so determined to kill themselves that they'll use whatever method they have available. They'll psych themselves up to it and if that doesn't pan out and they're forced to reconsider they almost universally regret it. An example: putting nets and fences next to bridges actually reduces the overall suicide rate of the surrounding area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_barrier

Also, shooting yourself in the face doesn't leave much space to re-think your choice where other routes might. If we're talking suicide reduction, the "oh-gently caress-what-have-I-just-done-someone-get-these-pills-out-of-me" moment is pretty useful.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Sockmuppet posted:

Well, yeah. And not get involved with organized crime. It helps that there are fewer people around with guns that we need to defend ourselves from. It's just not a big thing people go around worrying about, other than the usual common sense measures you take to stay safe in a big city. The possibility of a home invasion has never occured to me. It's probably because I don't own large amounts of valuables, I'm sure paranoid pensioners who keep their money under their beds worry more about it than I do, possibly gun ownership is more common among them.

Last year (I think) there was an above average number of rapes here, and there was much in the media about how women should and could protect themselves - aquiring guns was not even mentioned as a possibility, or brought up at all. The entire culture is just so completely different, which is why the "MAH GUNS!"-reaction a lot of people in this thread are having, is incredibly strange to watch. The current big media debate is whether or not the police should be allowed to carry weapons at all times (which they've been doing for a while as an "emergency measure" against terrorism - but it's not an emergency measure when it's been going on for close to a year, so people are asking if they should make it official or just go back to the old ways.)

There are actually 1.3 million registered guns owned by the civilian population of Norway (there are slightly over 5 million people living here in total), and 1 in 10 people own one or more, but guns are for hunting and sport, we just have a lot of hunters (over 200 000, apparently!) and people shooting for sport. Owning a gun for self defence is a completely foreign thought for everyone exept lunatics and criminals who feel they have to defend themselves against other criminals with guns.

I'm glad you live in a place where people don't break into your home or attack you (especially in groups) with the immediate intent to cause you serious physical injury or death. That doesn't negate the many, many experiences of people living in places like the US where they have, through no fault of their own, been beset by circumstances where they needed the force afforded by firearms to rightfully protect themselves or others.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

SealHammer posted:

I'm glad you live in a place where people don't break into your home or attack you (especially in groups) with the immediate intent to cause you serious physical injury or death.

I thought that this was particularly interesting and telling of the differences between the US and Europe, because yeah, most criminals here don't want to kill you. They want your stuff to sell so that they can make money and probably buy drugs (in the UK at least there is a huge correlation between house burglaries / muggings and drug use).
In house burglaries / 'break ins' (not 'home invasions' here) the burglar would really prefer that you not be there because they want your stuff, not you. They tend to target houses that look empty and easy to break into. The best way to secure your home in the UK is to have good locks on your windows, a strong door with a good lock, an alarm and make it look occupied when you're not there. Basically make it a hassle to get in there and make them think that you are there.
Personal thefts are mainly opportunistic, snatching your bag, swiping your iphone / ipad/ whatever unattended electronics you've left lying about. Stealing your bike, breaking into your car to get the radio or whatever valuables you've left in view.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

SealHammer posted:

I'm glad you live in a place where people don't break into your home or attack you (especially in groups) with the immediate intent to cause you serious physical injury or death.

Is it really that common for people to just break into homes and cause injury or death for the fun of it in America?

You never hear of anything like that here in Australia. It's usually people breaking into houses to steal stuff, getting surprised by the person living there and then they might freak out and throw a punch or two before legging it, but just wanting to hurt someone is far from the reason they broke in.

The only time I ever hear about people breaking in specifically just to hurt someone is when the people involved know each other already.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Helith posted:

I thought that this was particularly interesting and telling of the differences between the US and Europe, because yeah, most criminals here don't want to kill you. They want your stuff to sell so that they can make money and probably buy drugs (in the UK at least there is a huge correlation between house burglaries / muggings and drug use).
In house burglaries / 'break ins' (not 'home invasions' here) the burglar would really prefer that you not be there because they want your stuff, not you. They tend to target houses that look empty and easy to break into. The best way to secure your home in the UK is to have good locks on your windows, a strong door with a good lock, an alarm and make it look occupied when you're not there. Basically make it a hassle to get in there and make them think that you are there.
Personal thefts are mainly opportunistic, snatching your bag, swiping your iphone / ipad/ whatever unattended electronics you've left lying about. Stealing your bike, breaking into your car to get the radio or whatever valuables you've left in view.

Pretty much this. Being afraid of the possibility that somebody will be breaking into my house with the intention to kill me/harm me is something has never occurred to me, and I do not live in a particularly safe neighbourhood or anything. Something like that would be a pretty extraordinary event. Why would anybody want to break into a house to kill you? It's like some kind of weird delusion. If somebody broke into my house planning only to kill me, then the chances are I'd just die. I also think the same outcome is most likely for anybody in the US, even if they own 100 guns. Hell, owning 100 guns would probably be why they broke in in the first place. Does every American sleep with a loaded gun under their pillow? What if they have a gun? What if you don't hear them break in?

Owning a gun makes you more likely to die. Accidentally, by suicide, by somebody else. It literally puts you more at risk of dying. The incidences of a gun being used in necessary self-defense that avert your own injury are also vanishingly small.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
doesnt saying words like that make you feel absurdly ignorant and naive??

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

wiffle ball bat posted:

lmao why dont you take a deep breath and a chill pill and wash it down with a cold brewski and sit cross leged on a yoga mat for an hour and then sit back down at the computer chair and revise this statement so it's not bugnuts wacko

Not the only way, but I don't see the statement as bugnuts whacko. :confused: We do have an overabundance of guns available in supply for the general population that are overly easy for people to obtain which make mass shootings more likely to happen.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jeza posted:

Pretty much this. Being afraid of the possibility that somebody will be breaking into my house with the intention to kill me/harm me is something has never occurred to me, and I do not live in a particularly safe neighbourhood or anything. Something like that would be a pretty extraordinary event. Why would anybody want to break into a house to kill you? It's like some kind of weird delusion. If somebody broke into my house planning only to kill me, then the chances are I'd just die. I also think the same outcome is most likely for anybody in the US, even if they own 100 guns. Hell, owning 100 guns would probably be why they broke in in the first place. Does every American sleep with a loaded gun under their pillow? What if they have a gun? What if you don't hear them break in?

Owning a gun makes you more likely to die. Accidentally, by suicide, by somebody else. It literally puts you more at risk of dying. The incidences of a gun being used in necessary self-defense that avert your own injury are also vanishingly small.

It is extraordinary, but happens, dumb/psycho criminals breaking into your house and doing all kinds of dangerous unpredictable poo poo when they find you at home much less so; unless you've got your guns on display in which case you're a moron it's not why; some of the morons do; sometimes you don't; it's not vanishingly small at all, it's many times more frequent than those other things you list.

I live in a "safe neighborhood" with one of the lowest crime rates in the area, home invasions were never a concern to me and I never seriously thought about them; about a year ago a guy broke into my house and started strangling a boarder in his bed because, as it turned out, guy was dating his daughter and he didn't approve. He sorta had a point, but I lucked out and had a busted up old clays shotgun in the workshop downstairs to sit him down with for the roughly ~20 minutes it took for the police to roll by and pick him up. My sister lives in Baltimore and gets her house burgled on an annual basis; year before last guy smashed through her window and found her in there, she lucked out and managed to run him off all by her 150lbs-soaking-wet self. poo poo happens; it doesn't happen all the time (except to Baltimoreans), but it only needs to go badly once in your life.

If you're concerned about your own suicidal impulses, don't buy a gun, you know that's a risk factor for you and one you can control. If you're scared that owning a gun will somehow make you a murder magnet through their insubstantial death vapors, don't buy a gun; you're kinda loopy and hysterical and don't want one anyway. These are the sorts of decisions and risk calculations a competent adult should be able to judge for themselves and their own unique circumstances, without some bureaucracy that barely knows their names or a keyboard warrior who doesn't even know that making all their decisions for them and everyone else's too in loco parentis.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 10, 2015

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Not the only way, but I don't see the statement as bugnuts whacko. :confused: We do have an overabundance of guns available in supply for the general population that are overly easy for people to obtain which make mass shootings more likely to happen.

so do we have like 10,000 guns too many out of the hundreds of millions of guns that don't get used in any criminal capacity or what is your argument here

it's insane to say that the aurora massacre couldnt have been carried out with a pipe bomb or a backpack full of molotov cocktails or a handful of determined individuals with long blades, or even as a mass shooting in a country with no legal private gun ownership whatsoever. mass killings happen everywhere, this is not the only place where "this regularly happens"

maybe we just have too many guns hell i dont know but the weird and twisted logic of people whose arguments are centered around facebook meme logic have all these hosed up premises and statements involved it's just a clusterfuck of strange ignorance

i get the purpose of saying that muggers and robbers and burglars are harmless, it's meant to support the assertion that guns have no legitimate value for self defense. maybe guns have no legitimate value for self defense, but the premise of that statement is stupid as gently caress! i understand why you would say that the aurora massacre could only be carried out with guns, it supports the premise that it's america's gun laws are to blame for mass shootings and that may well be true but how the gently caress am i supposed to know if you're just yanking my dick or not when the foundation of the argument is so goddamn goofy? help me

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
there probably is a really good argument for repealing the second amendment, a strong and unassailable argument above reproach but hell if i ever seen one. it's always just people who don't know what the hell they're talking about going from their gut and hoping sheer pathos and some bizarro version of common sense and hazily related anecdotes will carry the day because for christ's sake we're talking about killing machines here! of course they're bad.

it really seems to have gently caress all to do with the extremely rare occurrence when some bitter narcissist or early onset schizophrenic shoots up a school, a thing that is so rare that apparently no one can say any one definitive thing about it except that it's hosed up and it would be cool if it never happened again.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I live in a "safe neighborhood" with one of the lowest crime rates in the area, home invasions were never a concern to me and I never seriously thought about them; about a year ago a guy broke into my house and started strangling a boarder in his bed because, as it turned out, guy was dating his daughter and he didn't approve.

That's not the same as some person breaking into random house just to hurt someone like the original quote is saying.

SealHammer posted:

I'm glad you live in a place where people don't break into your home or attack you (especially in groups) with the immediate intent to cause you serious physical injury or death. That doesn't negate the many, many experiences of people living in places like the US where they have, through no fault of their own, been beset by circumstances where they needed the force afforded by firearms to rightfully protect themselves or others.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rudager posted:

That's not the same as some person breaking into random house just to hurt someone like the original quote is saying.

Sure, so? The point was (aside from that this poo poo happens, as much as liberals want to concoct a vast false-rape-accusation conspiracy where everyone's lying and it doesn't) that a 'safe neighborhood', aside from not being an option for tons of people, is no guarantee that nobody'll gently caress with you for non-random reasons you didn't see coming. I guess we could sit around all night and quibble about whether the burglar who finds a little old lady in the house and bashes her skull in had the 'immediate intent' to do so while breaking in or just intended to rob the place and panicked when he found her inside, or what truly defines random for a person unexpectedly being attacked out of nowhere, but that seems extremely pointless and stupid to me. There is a fair chance depending on who and where you are that at some point in your life you're going to get into a violent, life-threatening confrontation, whether with someone you know or someone you don't, for reasons that will probably appear random and unexpected to you at the time even if on a cosmic scale they follow a perfectly reasonable causal chain, and the police are unlikely to swoop in and rescue you Superman-style in the moment. That's not their job, and they are not equipped for it.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 10, 2015

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Sure, so? The point was (aside from that this poo poo happens, as much as liberals want to concoct a vast false-rape-accusation conspiracy where everyone's lying and it doesn't) that a 'safe neighborhood', aside from not being an option for tons of people, is no guarantee that nobody'll gently caress with you for non-random reasons you didn't see coming. I guess we could sit around all night and quibble about whether the burglar who finds a little old lady in the house and bashes her skull in had the 'immediate intent' to do so while breaking in or just intended to rob the place and panicked when he found her inside, or what truly defines random for a person unexpectedly being attacked out of nowhere, but that seems extremely pointless and stupid to me. There is a fair chance depending on who and where you are that at some point in your life you're going to get into a violent, life-threatening confrontation, whether with someone you know or someone you don't, for reasons that will probably appear random and unexpected to you at the time even if on a cosmic scale they follow a perfectly reasonable causal chain, and the police are unlikely to swoop in and rescue you Superman-style in the moment. That's not their job, and they are not equipped for it.

So how does carrying, or having a gun in your house, help prevent any of that?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rudager posted:

So how does carrying, or having a gun in your house, help prevent any of that?

it doesn't prevent it from happening but it sure helped prevent my roommate, and maybe me IDK, from dying from it. It'd be nice if we could pass a law to eliminate hate from the heart of man but until someone works that out this is a stopgap measure I can, uh, live with.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I live in Germany and we have one of the highest gun ownership rates in Europe. Guns are very popular for sports and hunting, but almost nonexistent as a home defense method. Most people consider the damage from having easy access to guns(for home defense) far greater than any possible benefit that they could bring. I guess it's comparable to how most Americans thinks about antipersonnel landmines for home defense.

- I don't know anyone who was victim of a psychotic killer in their home, nor have I ever heard about such a thing outside of TV shows. I don't think or worry about it ever.

- Burglaries happen and I had one in my own apartment building. If you want to protect your home from that, you usually get an alarm system or upgrade your door locks and windows. You can always get a pepper spray or electroshoker for personal defense, but I only known a single person who carries a pepper spray around and she grew up in Eastern Europe and has never used that thing in her whole life.

- The idea that guns have any "anti-tyrannical" properties is considered complete lunacy by most people here. Civil disobedience and strikes can paralyze the state extremely fast and efficient in Germany and I have no idea what you would do with a gun against the state anyway. Shoot at cops and make everyone hate you for being a murder? I seriously don't know.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 10, 2015

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Rudager posted:

Is it really that common for people to just break into homes and cause injury or death for the fun of it in America?

You never hear of anything like that here in Australia. It's usually people breaking into houses to steal stuff, getting surprised by the person living there and then they might freak out and throw a punch or two before legging it, but just wanting to hurt someone is far from the reason they broke in.

The only time I ever hear about people breaking in specifically just to hurt someone is when the people involved know each other already.

I don't know the exact statistics on "Home invasion/invasion of property with intent to inflict aggravated bodily harm or murder" because that doesn't sound like a thing, but I see stories like these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire,_Connecticut,_home_invasion_murders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaBMV2BfwBc
http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Elkhart-pastors-daughter-dies-in-brutal-home-invasion-346013192.html
http://www.wthr.com/story/4978809/police-seek-suspect-in-indianapolis-murders
http://atlanta.suntimes.com/atl-news/7/78/207183/home-invasion-scripture/

often enough that I don't blame people if they've resolved to fortify themselves against the potential of becoming a victim. A not-insignificant number of people in this world are violent, unpredictable sociopaths. It's not outside the realm of possibility that your regular Joe Schmo could live long enough to be the opportune target of such a person's wanton aggression even just once. Awareness and preparation could mean the difference between life and death for these morally innocent people.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
huzzah for europeans who live in the star trek future but y'all consume enough of our cultural exports to know at least a little something about our barbaric law enforcement and criminal justice apparatus, third world living conditions and deadly and self perpetuating drug war

i live in a city where the number of gunshot victims often and regularly is on par with wartorn middle eastern cities and i also feel perfectly safe and secure without a firearm because i live in a nice apartment and i'm not stupid enough to walk the 4 blocks or so south it would take for me to be stripped of my valuables at gunpoint. even so i saw a woman get beat up and car jacked in the parking lot across the street from my bedroom window on monday, a few weeks before that i heard a homeless man with a knife get shot to death by the cops, a few weeks before that i heard a guy get shot through both feet in some kind of argument, i could go on and on just talking about stuff i heard with my ears. i've been assaulted randomly on the street by some piece of poo poo who just got out of jail.

none of this has a loving thing to do with the gun laws or mass shootings, it has to do with a brutal criminal justice system and purposeful negligence of minority communities, a modern generation of poor kids growing up in houses that still have lead paint because their alderman diverted the funds to pay for a loving yacht or something. defunding education and public transportation programs in minority majority neighborhoods to pay for tax breaks for tech companies that produce nothing of value.

the actual reality of america's violence problem is a hosed up and fascinating thing but it has, again, nothing to do with mass shootings. if ask/tell was an institute for learning you would all get eff minuses for failing to respond to the prompt. take an online course in criminal justice if you're that confused about it, learning is how we make our brains big and strong.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
and regarding tyranny there actually exists in america people with so much free time and so many guns that their hobby is to follow federal agents through the woods pointing guns at them to make sure they don't do anything unconstitutional and it's hilarious. and up to this point, effective at stuff like keeping federal agents from stealing cows to pay for unpaid taxes and stopping forest service agents from burning down mining cabins for fun. the world is crazy and counterintuitive and all kinds of nutty and weird poo poo is true and happening all the time, things that will blow your mind and make you question everything you ever believed about everything.

maybe a wizard of goatse is bored enough to tell you guys about the civil rights movement and black panthers and turn of the century armed standoffs between labor and capital involving guns and all that other fun and cool stuff that is crucial to having an informed perspective on the topic but this is the mass shooting thread!! adam lanza was an autistic pedophile, wtf?????

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

hey now aren't you supposed to just be shitposting?

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
idk maybe you should read my very incisive and succinct shitposts so i don't have to strain myself typing a bunch of stupid words

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

SealHammer posted:

I'm glad you live in a place where people don't break into your home or attack you (especially in groups) with the immediate intent to cause you serious physical injury or death. That doesn't negate the many, many experiences of people living in places like the US [...]

In addition to reading my post, you might want to read the quoted bit I was replying to. I was answering a question regarding other countries, my comment had nothing to do with people and conditions in the US, just how the use of guns for self defence is concidered in Norway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

wiffle ball bat posted:

a few weeks before that i heard a homeless man with a knife get shot to death by the cops, a few weeks before that i heard a guy get shot through both feet in some kind of argument.

These things would have not happened if there were no guns.

• Locked thread