Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I had a situation that is literally a gun control argument happen to me about a week ago.

A crazy rear end in a top hat followed me home, right up to the driveway, and yelled at me to get out of the car because my brights were on too close to his car (I wasn't even riding his rear end, it was about 10 car lengths away :psyduck: ). This guy, I found out later, had a gun. I ducked in my car and called for the help of a neighbor. The neighbor ran outside, with HIS gun, and got into his own car. The rear end in a top hat got back in his car and drove off after seeing the neighbor exit the home and the garage lights of a second house come on. rear end in a top hat, who is a neighbor, stood in the street with the gun in his pocket as my neighbor drove up and down his street slowly. rear end in a top hat apparently then decided to gently caress off and there were no further incidents after that. I happen to be in the process of moving anyway and will be out of this neighborhood in 2 days, so that should be the end of it.

I bring this up because, depending on who you ask, you could get a pro or anti gun argument out of this:

-Pro gun: I am a small woman with weak noodle arms. He was a male who could easily overpower me physically. If I had a gun, I could have protected myself without getting saved by the neighbor.
-Pro gun: rear end in a top hat saw that neighbor was packing heat and turned tail, an example of "an armed society is a polite society" in practice.

But:

-Anti gun: By ducking and calling for help, I did not escalate the situation further. If I was all SECOND AMENDMENT BITCH and hopped out of the car with my gun, one or both of us could be dead right now.
-Anti gun: If this hotheaded psycho had mental screening and was denied a license, maybe a gun would not have ended up in his hands in the first place.

Based on my experience I think that stricter gun control laws involving rigorous mental health and criminal history screenings would be the answer, in states that just have to have them. It's true that criminals would get their hands on them anyway but incidents like the one above, where the guy was a raging dick with a bad temper but probably not an actual criminal, would not be able to solve a minor annoyance with a shootout like something out of an old western.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

What kind of mental screening do you envision that would filter for road rage

like we can ID paranoid schizophrenics with a passable degree of accuracy but it seems pretty unfair to put random assholes' damage on them

Generic anger management issues, maybe? If someone gets so road-raged that they're going to bust out their gun over it, I'm sure there would be some kind of record of being a nut before in their history like domestic abuse or something.

Mental screening good enough to prevent psychos from getting guns would never happen with the way the US currently handles mental health anyway, so it's a moot point because that would be a pipedream. We can't even handle the people we know are mentally ill.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

charliebravo77 posted:

Conviction of domestic violence is already a dis-qualifier for firearm ownership at the Federal level.

"Generic anger management issues" is pretty goddamn broad. I scream and yell at drivers from the confines of my own vehicle all the time, but never once has it crossed my mind to draw my legally owned and carried handgun and open fire on them.

I wasn't suggesting that I had the perfect magical answer for everything. In fact, I said that really rooting out the true psychos would be extremely difficult if not impossible to implement nationwide. If I could wave a magic wand, or had billions of dollars, to do it myself I would but we all know the world just doesn't work that way. Even if it did, there would always be people flying under the radar.

I posted my anecdotal but true story to point out that even in real-life situations outside of the typical mass-shooting events, there can be pro and against arguments made.

• Locked thread