Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Maybe I'm some kind of Brit wuss but in the situation described earlier with the road-rage guy pulling a gun, I'd much rather nobody involved had a gun than being able to call on a neighbor to act the hero, or even pulling a gun out of my own glove-box to ward off the attacker. Apparently I'd be safer if everyone had guns but I just don't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

wiffle ball bat posted:

I hope nobody is sitting around going "I don't bloody understand liquor store robberies or interpersonal conflict or gang warfare" because these are very well understood things. The thing that confuses and terrifies everybody is Adam Lanza and James Holmes and other scary white dudes with no sane motive. Nobody understands it, op. Especially not when there's so many people so emotionally invested in confusing the issue for you.

Here I'll break it down:
Why is America so violent? Because of poverty.
What's up with motiveless spree killers? Nobody really knows. It's hosed up tho.

It's pretty cool to live in a country where robberies and interpersonal conflict and gang warfare tend to involve fewer firearms, though. It results in less dying, which I like. If a guy comes to steal the cash out of my till with a knife, even if he's pretty twitchy it's unlikely he'll panic and stab seven people.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

wiffle ball bat posted:

You can still legally buy guns in Australia tho. Restrictions are much harsher in Mexico, which currently enjoys the lowest murder rate in the world.

I'm British. Nobody has guns except farmers (and farmers' mums)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

it is posted:

Actually, making suicide more inconvenient is a great way to prevent suicide. Suicide isn't like murder; people aren't so determined to kill themselves that they'll use whatever method they have available. They'll psych themselves up to it and if that doesn't pan out and they're forced to reconsider they almost universally regret it. An example: putting nets and fences next to bridges actually reduces the overall suicide rate of the surrounding area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_barrier

Also, shooting yourself in the face doesn't leave much space to re-think your choice where other routes might. If we're talking suicide reduction, the "oh-gently caress-what-have-I-just-done-someone-get-these-pills-out-of-me" moment is pretty useful.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

wiffle ball bat posted:

a few weeks before that i heard a homeless man with a knife get shot to death by the cops, a few weeks before that i heard a guy get shot through both feet in some kind of argument.

These things would have not happened if there were no guns.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Tremblay posted:

Poof all guns in the US disappear. Poof criminals have guns brought in from Mexico.

Cops shoot homeless man with illegal Mexican guns? Non-specific argument people also have shipped in illegal guns for the purpose of shooting people who annoy them in the feet? Ok, fine, your country is hosed, continue shooting each other, it's probably for the best.

wiffle ball bat posted:

What life benefits does being a glib idiot afford you?? Why are you trolling me so brutally

I have all this pent up frustration from not shooting anything with guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

Except he never said that. He said it was easier and far more beneficial than trying to enact strong gun regulation and eliminate a significant portion of the firearms in the US. That doesn't translate into "one step solution". The point is that nearly everyone can get behind more prosperity, less poverty, and less crime. It's an overwhelmingly positive goal that improves peoples quality of life and doesn't trample on their constitutional and basic rights.

That's commie talk.

• Locked thread