Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Maybe it's something to do with the American Dream: people are raised to believe they can achieve anything, and when that turns out to be false they want revenge against society. I don't know.

People wonder why so many mass killers are younger white males, generally on the lower end of the economic spectrum.

When you get told your entire childhood that you can do anything if you just work hard enough, when you reach adulthood, and start working as hard as you can and still end up going nowhere, it becomes really easy to start looking for someone to blame.

Some people like Harris and Klebold realized the fact that the American dream is just a pipe dream and we really aren't so far removed from the caste system as angry teenagers, and it caused them to do what they did.

Some people blame minorities for why all their hard work isn't giving them anything to show for it, and do things like shoot up churches.

It's not the culture of fear, it's that there is the consistent lie of the opportunity to advance past how you grew up, when these days that opportunity doesn't exist. It's probably a large part of why (I'm not a sociologist) mass killings are on the rise. As more and more people that came of age during the recession go out into the work force and realize that even if you're the hardest working employee there it doesn't get you much outside of an a for effort, I don't think that the number of mass killings is going to decrease.

Gun control is a moot point until the issues behind their motivations are addressed. Canada doesn't have the same stigma against welfare, doesn't have some of the massive inequality issues, doesn't give people the same reasons to go out and seek revenge on a cold cruel world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread