Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ice Phisherman posted:

The Patriot Act and RICO (anti-racketeering/anti-organized crime law). The Patriot Act is self explanatory and if it isn't, just wiki it. RICO on the other hand is used for civil forfeiture and is easily abused. Police can claim that your property and assets are being used in crime and contrary to our guilty before innocent way of doing things your money is guilty and then they seize it. You on the other hand can't afford a lawyer because law enforcement has stolen all of your stuff.

While the rest of your post is very solid and should be read, I'm going to fishmech a bit here: RICO asset forfeitures are only a very specific kind of asset forfeiture. It would be nice if it were the only way to do it, because RICO has some fairly specific requirements before the Department of Justice will indict you and everyone you have ever met. Asset forfeiture in general is... somewhat more flexible and harder to fight. That's a big part of why it's incredibly awful (and very common).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread