Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
I live in a very conservative town. First day of buck season is considered a holiday and kids are excused from school. I have fairly liberal views compared to most of the town, but I identify as a moderate as a whole. I have never heard anyone legitimately recommend more civilians with guns is a deterrent to these shootings. You occassionally get that one crazy guy from the sticks that comes into town and mentions X murder was stopped by a passerby with a gun, or that schools need more armed officers - but that is it. This seems like something liberals like to peg as the conservative arguement because it sounds dumb and silly, just like those wacky conservatives am I right?

Here is what it boils down to in as low bias as I can get: Conservatives dislike the concepts of more government intervention in anything (as hypocritical as that gets in the case of recieving welfare, it is is the general belief). They believe the constitution is not a "living" document and should not change with the times - this is why the arguement of forefather's intent will do nothing to sway them and only incite them more. They are a paranoid bunch who are very quick to point out sketchy numbers or statistics, which unfortunately democrats are fond of in this arguement - see hillary's 90 deaths a day comment (while this is true, only 1/3rd of those are from gun violence, most of the rest are suicides). They are very resistant to the concept of the US being like Europe - which they view as some sort of liberal hellhole. The common talking points of liberals w/r/t statistics, european comparisons in murders, and an antiquated constitution only serves to rile them up.

Conservatives mostly do believe in tougher restrictions such as mental or psychological tests (I hear this one often but never get any real examples) or a larger police force. The latter is in regards to urban crime - i.e. black on black. Most folks I talk these issues over with imply that the murder statistic is artificially raised due to the amount of homicides and drive-bys commited in urban areas. Areas like chicago, while having high crime conservatives contest, have already strict gun laws. Meaning gun restrictions only hurt lawful citizens and not those perpetrators who would have an illegeal gun regardless.

You do occassionally get complaints of movies/TV/games warping the children's minds from older conservatives, but that still ties into it being a belief that the issue is primarily psycological

Ultimately, conservatives see the attacks on gun ownership by liberals as an actual affront to their belief of what makes america america (and on personal liberties). They believe the liberal method will only hurt law abiding citizens while the real killers will have the guns regardless. This is more-or-less how your average conservative will think.

The issue, of course is they don't really pose actual methods to stop the problem. People will say they are for some sort of psychological test - but give no specefics. Occassionally someone will mention that drum mags should be completely banned - or guns easily modifiable to be fully auto should require a special permit, but that is it and even then that sentiment is very rare.

Liberals on the other hand very much view the guns themselves as the root of the problem. Which doesn't entirely jive with all moderates. Don't get me wrong, they will drop mental health and screening in their talking points but pose nothing meatier than conservatives - and then jump right into an attack the NRA establishment. Most moderates I think do want something in place as gun control. There is no need for a 100 round magazine. Ever. There is no need to a suppressor. Ever. I don't care if it's semi-auto, why do you need an RPK? However liberals seem to gloss over the mental health issue aspect of it more - which to me is the primary issue. Why are most of the mass shootings done by young white men who obviously have a distrubed past? If there is a pattern there must be a reason. Liberals want to fight the NRA (a joke organization pretty much) and take us out of the dark ages but I see little legislation proposed to deal with the root of the issue.

My father, growing up in this same town, told me of how all the boys would bring their rifles to school during hunting season and keep them in their lockers. A lot of them either just got out of the woods before class or were going back out after. It was normal and no one thought anything of it. At that same school now, you are not permitted to take your bookbag with you to class. You can not wear a long coat during class. Something changed, and it can't all be blamed on the guns themselves.

That said, this will likely stay a state issue. Until one side buckles and is willing to gradually tackle both problems, each side will be completely opposed to the other and consider them crazy. Each side wants to pander to their base and frame the other guys as crazy while leaving everyone else hopeless for compromise.

e: I spell like a poo poo

That Jerk Steve fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

There's no complement there, and in fact, people shooting back is something that's most likely to make it easier for someone to get the U.S. military to turn on the people; and that's really the only thing that matters when it comes to a tyrannical dictator who isn't backed by the general populace, whether or not he can get the military to fire on civilians. Because you and your 30.06 aren't going to be able to do poo poo about a B-2 dropping a bunker-buster on your backyard, or an Abrams pulling up to your door.

i can't tell if I'm reading satire or a post from a 20 year old liberal arts major

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

Most of Western Europe has similar levels of free speech, and far less gun ownership/more gun regulation.

k
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/11/13/nazi-grandma-jailed-for-denying-the-holocaust-ever-happened/
http://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other/arrest-over-anti-islamic-facebook-post-by-uk-beauty-salon/ar-BBn4kfT
http://www.atlanticbb.net/news/read...on_online_ha-ap

but hey, those people were being shitlords! Who cares about their freedom of speech if it's offensive to me, right?

Thanatosian posted:

You know, it's really weird, in 33 years of life, I have never once been in a situation where having a gun on me would have improved things, or made me safer. Not once.

cool me too! but these people were kinda sorta helped by having a gun so i dunno

http://www.komonews.com/news/national/Police-Woman-beheaded-at-Oklahoma-workplace-277215581.html
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2014/0725/Doctor-shoots-armed-patient-in-Philly-hospital-A-gun-rights-case-is-born-video
http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/11/13-year-old-boy-home-alone-shoots-and-kills-burglar/
http://krqe.com/2015/05/08/albuquerque-police-to-release-new-info-in-skate-park-shooting/

that was just the past year or so and im too lazy to look up more for you but w/e, it doesn't matter since we've never been in a situation where we needed a gun so gently caress those guys

That Jerk Steve fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 5, 2015

• Locked thread