Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Question for those who think gun control won't solve anything:

What is it that other places like Europe are doing that we aren't? Because you don't see very many mass shootings, most certainly not on the scale of this country where there have been more mass shootings* in 2015 then there have been days.

*defined as 4 or more victims (or deaths,possibly?) in a single incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

antiga posted:

To me, this sounds like the people that say support the Patriot act because you shouldn't be afraid of surveillance if you're doing nothing wrong. That's bad logic for a number of reasons.

The fact that policymakers have their heart in the right place (and not all do) is not an excuse for lovely, expensive, and often useless policy.

Are the are restrictions on the 1st amendment also like the patriot act? Because that seems like a bit of a leap to me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Next thing I want to know is how did guns get to be so plentiful in the U.S. versus other countries? When, chronologically, did gun ownership per capita in the U.S. reach into the dozens as opposed to one or two and when did people really start to stockpile guns? Was it during the Wild West period? During the Civil Rights movement of the 60s/70s?

Oddly enough, there was a fair amount of gun control in the (not really all that very) Wild West. In a significant number of towns you were required to leave your weapon with the local sheriff as a condition of entry and got it back when you left.

Sadly the legend of the gunslinging cowboy duels are more fiction than fact, with a couple of exceptions.

• Locked thread