Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Keldoclock posted:

Fortunately there are many ways to kill people, for example, the worst school mass murder was done without firearms. You could also steal a tank, fly an airplane into a skyscraper, build a car bomb, gas Tokyo's subway system with homemade sarin gas, mail anthrax in envelopes, etc etc. Basically you've got options, is what I'm saying. You could even innovate and steal or build a nuclear weapon, use a repeating crossbow, use a normal bow, turn on the school's sprinkler system and then electrify the floors, falsify coroner's records to "kill" millions and cause incalculable havoc, set a forest on fire, plug up a city's sewer system, poison wells etc.

Rest assured that there is no limit to human ingenuity on the subject of murder. Once again, the problem here is of course, that people are performing that murder in an antisocial, unproductive and pointless manner that (in my eyes, at least ) seems to harm everyone and help no-one.
Yeah, it's amazing that since those incidents, nothing has changed in the way we regulate explosives, dangerous chemicals, or the way the military treats their vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The first amendment and the second amendment aren't comparable.

Freedom of the press and freedom of speech are paramount to a free society; freedom of guns is paramount to people who really, really like guns. Like, in a weird way.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thrakkorzog posted:

The First and second amendments kind of compliment each other at this point.

Try to restrict 1st amendment rights, and you can expect a cavalcade of people exercising their second amendment rights.

Right now there are approximately 300 millions guns in the U.S., or about one gun per person in the U.S. There is no practical way to collect all the guns in the US without violating the 4th amendment.

You don't need to collect every gun in the U.S. to reduce gun violence. You just have to collect a lot of them. And you don't have to do it all at once; presumably, the U.S. government is going to be around for awhile; it can afford to play the long game.

And there are fucktons of countries out there with free speech, and free press, and freedom of religion, and no loving guns. Hell, there are several countries out there with lots of guns, and none of those freedoms. There's no complement there, and in fact, people shooting back is something that's most likely to make it easier for someone to get the U.S. military to turn on the people; and that's really the only thing that matters when it comes to a tyrannical dictator who isn't backed by the general populace, whether or not he can get the military to fire on civilians. Because you and your 30.06 aren't going to be able to do poo poo about a B-2 dropping a bunker-buster on your backyard, or an Abrams pulling up to your door.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thrakkorzog posted:

Please name those other countries who all about free speech, and have stronger free speech protections than the U.S.
Most of Western Europe has similar levels of free speech, and far less gun ownership/more gun regulation.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thrakkorzog posted:

So the Pope is protected by the Swiss Guard who wield MP14s. The rest of us who aren't popes can get get hosed. We don't have the Swiss Guard protecting us. I would like to have a gun to protect myself.
You know, it's really weird, in 33 years of life, I have never once been in a situation where having a gun on me would have improved things, or made me safer. Not once.

I'd really love to know where it is you people are living where you're having to dodge War Boys and Bullet Farmers on your commute every morning.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yes, truly, not being able to participate in hate speech/incitement means that freedom of speech is dead. It's basically the same as not being allowed to criticize the queen.

That Jerk Steve posted:

cool me too! but these people were kinda sorta helped by having a gun so i dunno

http://www.komonews.com/news/national/Police-Woman-beheaded-at-Oklahoma-workplace-277215581.html
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2014/0725/Doctor-shoots-armed-patient-in-Philly-hospital-A-gun-rights-case-is-born-video
http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/11/13-year-old-boy-home-alone-shoots-and-kills-burglar/
http://krqe.com/2015/05/08/albuquerque-police-to-release-new-info-in-skate-park-shooting/

that was just the past year or so and im too lazy to look up more for you but w/e, it doesn't matter since we've never been in a situation where we needed a gun so gently caress those guys
Do I really need to mention the 355-some-odd others who were helped quite a bit over the last year by having a gun?

I mean, helped in shooting a whole shitload of other people because they could?

But you're right, what we really need is more thirteen-year-olds spraying bullets randomly in neighborhood streets. That will certainly solve our shooting problems!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Gun advocates apparently all live in that city from Deathwish 3 where armed thugs are breaking into their apartments every single day

No, they just fantasize that they are.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jeza posted:

I think several people have posted both practical and philosophical discussion points on why proliferating guns is a very poor way of ensuring safety, and by proxy self-defense, so I don't see why you're denying discussion is taking place. If somebody armed with a gun broke into your grandma's house, at 90 she'd probably be nowhere near able to get her gun to defend herself anyway. And if she did grab a gun, it's more likely to cause any armed person to kill her in their own "self-defence". And I'm sure there's a fair slice of demented, racist, half-blind old people out there just waiting to execute some black kid on their lawn. Because obviously, you can have your driving license taken away for being incompetent, but you won't take away granny's .45 Magnum, no sir.

Oh, c'mon, Jeza, that's just crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shoren posted:

Yeah, no poo poo, having a weapon around makes injury by that weapon more likely, thanks for that brilliant insight. Removing the tool isn't the solution. Instead of mass shootings you'd hear of mass bombings instead. The only way to prevent these tragedies from happening is addressing the mental state of these individuals. Anyone in a bad enough mental state that feels they have to harm other people at random will find a way to do it even if guns didn't exist anymore.
A gun is a "tool" in the same way a cigarette is: the only thing it's good at is killing people. It's a murder stick.

• Locked thread