Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

You see, we need guns because the solution to mass shootings is a bunch of untrained people with minimal range time and dreams of heroism engaging in unaimed panic fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Miranda posted:

Thanks, I appreciate your input. So when we have all these shootings, what do these people say is the answer?

More guns. If everybody was armed they could have shot the perpetrator before he had time to kill so many people.

No, I'm not joking; that is literally what their answer is. They think that the solution to mass shootings is a bunch of people with minimal qualifications and range time returning fire with deadly weapons in public areas.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

SealHammer posted:

Am I the only one who thinks this would be really interesting to see, even once? It would sure break up the loathsome monotony of "Guy walks into place and point-blank executes a whole bunch of people in comically unhurried manner."

A 10+ victim mass shooting where most of the victims were killed by bystanders with good intentions, poor aim, and worse judgment is one of the very few situations I can think of that might get some form of effective gun control legislation passed.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm curious as to what others thing should constitute a mass shooting.

Off the top of my head, this is what I would go with:

• 4+ victims, not including the shooter, but counting wounded and not just fatalities. I think that only counting fatalities is intellectually dishonest and a way of artificially making the number of mass shootings lower. Modern medicine is a drat amazing thing and I don't think our ability to save lives should bar incidents from being considered a mass shooting. I could shoot 10 random people in the chest tomorrow and if 7 of them survived it wouldn't be a mass shooting? That's bullshit.
  • I would count drivebys, simply because of the nature of the attack. It's both fairly indiscriminate and it's something that's not really feasible without guns.
  • I would count other acts of gang violence as well, I think. Large scale gun violence is large scale gun violence and I think that only counting 'indiscriminate' incidents as mass shootings is another way of making the number lower.
  • Despite that, I wouldn't count murder/suicides of the "man kills 3 kids, wife, himself" stripe. While I don't see gang violence moving from gunfights to knife fights in all cases, I do see these crimes moving from shootings to stabbings.

• Locked thread