Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

charliebravo77 posted:

"Generic anger management issues" is pretty goddamn broad. I scream and yell at drivers from the confines of my own vehicle all the time, but never once has it crossed my mind to draw my legally owned and carried handgun and open fire on them.
I open fire on them all the time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlzoL-wQwio

charliebravo77 posted:

I see what you're trying to do there :v:

(3) a person who is an unlawful user of or who is addicted to a controlled substance;

lol if someone would rather have guns than weed

"oh man i'm gonna have so much fun sober at the firing range! I can't wait to spend 5 minutes reloading this clip! that's almost two whole minutes of firing if i take time to aim! POW!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I don't even bother trying to say what the law should be anymore, and just look down from my high horse on all the denizens of a culture that values violence and the ability to produce violence over all else.

Guns are a dull uncreative hobby and people who fetishize guns can't take a jab at their precious token of personal agency.

This is Exceptional America, full of
Strange ways
Can't reform 'em

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Geniasis posted:

Question for those who think gun control won't solve anything:

What is it that other places like Europe are doing that we aren't? Because you don't see very many mass shootings, most certainly not on the scale of this country where there have been more mass shootings* in 2015 then there have been days.

*defined as 4 or more victims (or deaths,possibly?) in a single incident.

It's 4 or more bodies with new holes, alive or no. I think the gun-protectors are envisioning a law that says "okay less guns" but there are already lots of guns floating around in America, so I guess the idea would be that everyone who's going to shoot people has a gun already?

But I'm pretty sure that in most of these cases, the guns were purchased in the month or week leading up to the event.

However, I think tsa is mostly right on the political part of this, which is that this is a fight the left is wasting its energy and clout on. Bringing hypertension screening to underserved communities, e.g., could save millions of people from dying in their 50s.

Now, while mass events are a drop in the bucket for premature American deaths, I also think that focusing on deaths alone is a red herring, because injuries from firearms do also impose a real cost on society. Every time someone needs to go to the hospital for shooting themselves in the foot, that means more medical resources are used, and thus more money that isn't used for something else that has a more growth-oriented (rather than maintenance/reparative) impact on the economy. If anything, I'd just like a big tax on guns that recognizes the risk someone's putting on the rest of us as a gun owner, and of course vision/safety skills tests that must be renewed every 2-5 years.

But I can't be arsed to fight for it.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The main thing I feel is under dispute about the second amendment is what the word 'gun' means. Not just the definition, or the definition at the time, but its functional role in the Bill. We have attack helicopters and rocket-propelled grenades, means of slaughter that the framers couldn't have dreamed of. The right to set sail is not included in the second amendment even though a well-regulated Navy has been invaluable for our Imperial interests, but boats are for rich people so they weren't going to rely on the common man rolling out with all their improvised warships (say, didn't we use France's navy?), but guns could be churned out in factories and taken up by the militia to go and run up against or ambush some enemy battalion in what was more or less a numbers game. It speaks to the intense individualism found throughout American lore, and indeed there are plenty of Americans who see nothing fishy about the founding fathers' (note our quasi-religious title for them) motivation for revolution, but instead celebrate our nation's birth by gun. Hell, plenty of them celebrate a war that their ancestors lost, a war that was against their own ancestors' interests from the start, but they couldn't tell because there weren't good schools yet. I think there's a certain part in all of us, deep down, that likes a high ceiling on the craziness of poo poo that could go down at some point, because let's face it 9 deaths due to violence per 100,000 people per year is not too bad. The political capital would be better spent on hypertension prevention and prophylactic education to cull the spread of STIs.

But I'm just a simple Anarcho-Statist. Smash the Individual.

• Locked thread