Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
i dont bloody understand them either op but anyone who thinks the us had 350+ mass shootings this year is a goddamn moron with no critical thinking skills and soft runny stool where pink and grey fatty brain matter should be. it's really not relevant to you or anyone for that matter and you should be more worked up about the way your country treats its indigenous ppls if you really feel the need to feel strong political emotions about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Rah! posted:

Sounds like you don't know what a mass shooting is.

Edit: let me help you out, as you seem to be pretty dumb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shooting

Thanks Wikipedia for comparing pellet gun attacks to an elementary school full of dead children. That's very helpful. Useful numbers, if you're a pedantic moron trying to score political points but less so if you want to actually understand he phenomenon.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
Shootingtracker's numbers do indeed include pellet gun attacks and people injured in car accidents by drivers spooked by gunfire. Feel free to look it up. It's on their website.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
I hope nobody is sitting around going "I don't bloody understand liquor store robberies or interpersonal conflict or gang warfare" because these are very well understood things. The thing that confuses and terrifies everybody is Adam Lanza and James Holmes and other scary white dudes with no sane motive. Nobody understands it, op. Especially not when there's so many people so emotionally invested in confusing the issue for you.

Here I'll break it down:
Why is America so violent? Because of poverty.
What's up with motiveless spree killers? Nobody really knows. It's hosed up tho.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

sebzilla posted:

It's pretty cool to live in a country where robberies and interpersonal conflict and gang warfare tend to involve fewer firearms, though. It results in less dying, which I like. If a guy comes to steal the cash out of my till with a knife, even if he's pretty twitchy it's unlikely he'll panic and stab seven people.

You can still legally buy guns in Australia tho. Restrictions are much harsher in Mexico, which currently enjoys the lowest murder rate in the world.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
Canada has I believe looser gun laws than both Australia and Mexico and that's why the streets run red with blood in Saskatchewan and Newfoundland and places like that.

It's the same reason why the chicago south side is extremely safe while the suburbs of chicago with laxer gun laws regularly report hundreds of shootings every week.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
Altho maybe, maybe! Canada and Australia are rich nations with strong social safety nets while America and Mexico both enjoy grotesque socioeconomic stratification. Lol who knows! Violence is a mystery

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
I'm just kiddin y'all crime is actually super well understood and totally explicable. The thing where a sad and lonely white dude kills as many people for no gain is less well understood. It certainly can't be boiled down into a pithy image macro, or even a self satisfied thinkpiece. Life is crazy complicated y'all. Crazy complicated.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

sebzilla posted:

I'm British. Nobody has guns except farmers (and farmers' mums)

And that's why the streets of London are littered with the shattered bodies of gunshot victims while a nation with sensible gun laws, Mexico, has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

equally as worthy of discussion in the mass shooting thread as the second amendment and comparing "shooting" stats between countries in wildly different socioeconomic situations using wildly different methods of crime analysis.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

waitwhatno posted:

The only way for the Aurora massacre to happen is easy and legal access to lots of guns for the mentally ill.

lmao why dont you take a deep breath and a chill pill and wash it down with a cold brewski and sit cross leged on a yoga mat for an hour and then sit back down at the computer chair and revise this statement so it's not bugnuts wacko

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
i dont understand how anyone has the stamina to have this same slapfight again

about 30k people die every year in america from guns

the maximum possible number of people killed in "mass shootings" using the least credible most inflated statistics is about 500. a credible number is about 40.

we're talking about outliers here. statistical anomalies. it's a discrete topic of conversation, not really relevant to the second amendment. selling guns to a crazy person is already illegal. those other 29,960 gun homicides in the us are not relevant either. it's a weird thing, what's up with mass shootings? does anybody know? can anyone make any definitive statements relating to the why of mass shootings that aren't just a dank facebook meme stretched out to 1000 words? what is up? who are these people?? what do they want? what does shooting 30 first graders accomplish that setting 30 first graders on fire wouldn't?? fire bombs are super easy to make. bombs like the boston marathon bombs, even easier!

adam lanza was insanely goofy looking, and some kind autistic pedophile!! what the hell does it all mean!!!

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

i find his actions disturbing but i cant help but laugh every time i see a picture of him! wow!

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
that neck makes a pencil look girthy

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Liquid Communism posted:

Just a note, there aren't 29k firearm homicides in the US a year. There are about 12k. Most of the rest of that 30k number is suicides, which are tragic, but aren't going to be stopped by making it harder for criminals to get guns unless we criminalize mental illness.

my bad!!

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
doesnt saying words like that make you feel absurdly ignorant and naive??

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Not the only way, but I don't see the statement as bugnuts whacko. :confused: We do have an overabundance of guns available in supply for the general population that are overly easy for people to obtain which make mass shootings more likely to happen.

so do we have like 10,000 guns too many out of the hundreds of millions of guns that don't get used in any criminal capacity or what is your argument here

it's insane to say that the aurora massacre couldnt have been carried out with a pipe bomb or a backpack full of molotov cocktails or a handful of determined individuals with long blades, or even as a mass shooting in a country with no legal private gun ownership whatsoever. mass killings happen everywhere, this is not the only place where "this regularly happens"

maybe we just have too many guns hell i dont know but the weird and twisted logic of people whose arguments are centered around facebook meme logic have all these hosed up premises and statements involved it's just a clusterfuck of strange ignorance

i get the purpose of saying that muggers and robbers and burglars are harmless, it's meant to support the assertion that guns have no legitimate value for self defense. maybe guns have no legitimate value for self defense, but the premise of that statement is stupid as gently caress! i understand why you would say that the aurora massacre could only be carried out with guns, it supports the premise that it's america's gun laws are to blame for mass shootings and that may well be true but how the gently caress am i supposed to know if you're just yanking my dick or not when the foundation of the argument is so goddamn goofy? help me

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
there probably is a really good argument for repealing the second amendment, a strong and unassailable argument above reproach but hell if i ever seen one. it's always just people who don't know what the hell they're talking about going from their gut and hoping sheer pathos and some bizarro version of common sense and hazily related anecdotes will carry the day because for christ's sake we're talking about killing machines here! of course they're bad.

it really seems to have gently caress all to do with the extremely rare occurrence when some bitter narcissist or early onset schizophrenic shoots up a school, a thing that is so rare that apparently no one can say any one definitive thing about it except that it's hosed up and it would be cool if it never happened again.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
huzzah for europeans who live in the star trek future but y'all consume enough of our cultural exports to know at least a little something about our barbaric law enforcement and criminal justice apparatus, third world living conditions and deadly and self perpetuating drug war

i live in a city where the number of gunshot victims often and regularly is on par with wartorn middle eastern cities and i also feel perfectly safe and secure without a firearm because i live in a nice apartment and i'm not stupid enough to walk the 4 blocks or so south it would take for me to be stripped of my valuables at gunpoint. even so i saw a woman get beat up and car jacked in the parking lot across the street from my bedroom window on monday, a few weeks before that i heard a homeless man with a knife get shot to death by the cops, a few weeks before that i heard a guy get shot through both feet in some kind of argument, i could go on and on just talking about stuff i heard with my ears. i've been assaulted randomly on the street by some piece of poo poo who just got out of jail.

none of this has a loving thing to do with the gun laws or mass shootings, it has to do with a brutal criminal justice system and purposeful negligence of minority communities, a modern generation of poor kids growing up in houses that still have lead paint because their alderman diverted the funds to pay for a loving yacht or something. defunding education and public transportation programs in minority majority neighborhoods to pay for tax breaks for tech companies that produce nothing of value.

the actual reality of america's violence problem is a hosed up and fascinating thing but it has, again, nothing to do with mass shootings. if ask/tell was an institute for learning you would all get eff minuses for failing to respond to the prompt. take an online course in criminal justice if you're that confused about it, learning is how we make our brains big and strong.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
and regarding tyranny there actually exists in america people with so much free time and so many guns that their hobby is to follow federal agents through the woods pointing guns at them to make sure they don't do anything unconstitutional and it's hilarious. and up to this point, effective at stuff like keeping federal agents from stealing cows to pay for unpaid taxes and stopping forest service agents from burning down mining cabins for fun. the world is crazy and counterintuitive and all kinds of nutty and weird poo poo is true and happening all the time, things that will blow your mind and make you question everything you ever believed about everything.

maybe a wizard of goatse is bored enough to tell you guys about the civil rights movement and black panthers and turn of the century armed standoffs between labor and capital involving guns and all that other fun and cool stuff that is crucial to having an informed perspective on the topic but this is the mass shooting thread!! adam lanza was an autistic pedophile, wtf?????

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
idk maybe you should read my very incisive and succinct shitposts so i don't have to strain myself typing a bunch of stupid words

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

sebzilla posted:

These things would have not happened if there were no guns.

What life benefits does being a glib idiot afford you?? Why are you trolling me so brutally

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
confused by thing---->>>seek to understand thing----->>>learn information about thing---->>>become a person who knows a thing

it's a good system, works for a lot of people

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
most socially isolated sexually undesirable males just become harmless computer technicians/internet sociologists

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
there are no tragic stories of child abuse linked to school shooters and we unfortunately do not know how effective a proper and thorough rear end beating would've been in preventing these attacks. back when being a creepy little turd meant people would physically attack you until you changed your behavior was also back when we didn't have school shootings.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
i wish somebody would go ahead and get real about rocket propelled bullets with tiny little warheads for my personal protection and sporting needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
it's about time it made a comeback then isn't it. cross promote it with a new fallout 4 expansion in time for q4 2016. if i can buy a little drone for $10 there's no reason i can't have an affordable guided missile gun the size of a glock 17

• Locked thread