Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The key to understanding American political discourse / emotional life is that Americans are hopelessly enchanted with the idea of a domineering father. Conservatives in particular are powerless against any rhetoric that references strong daddy. Strong daddy has a gun and he knows how to use it, he always fires true, even at a full gallop on his horsie, he beat up my teacher when my teacher made me feel bad, he runs his own business, so strong, he has a few kids that he is fond of in relation to their achievements, so much a dad.

What do you do when society takes a poo poo on you? Well, what would strong daddy do? He'd rise up and kick rear end and sort out the mess later, strong daddy doesn't care.

How can we stop the hurt? Strong daddy doesn't get hurt, he hurts back. Come at me gun bitches! I have a gun, and I'm very strong.

How can we have universal health care? Pssh. Daddy doesn't get sick. If he did he would fix it with willpower or judicious self surgery.

What about those who can't keep up with strong daddy? gently caress em, that's what my dad said. And he was very strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Von Humboldt posted:

This, or that the violent and reprehensible actions of a few are not justification for curtailing the rights of law-abiding, gun owning citizens. Frequently, the shootings are also pointed to as examples of how gun control does not, in fact, work.

Is it really a few any more though? I mean, more than one a day is getting out of the "a few" zone.

• Locked thread